Battery Indicator Needed (Main Screen)

dermbrian
dermbrian Registered Users Posts: 95
Prominent Wayfarer
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
I just got back from dropping my wife off at work and a planned hour long run near there on the levee trails of downtown Dallas. When I went to pair my headphones, I saw the dreaded "battery almost dead" indicator on the watch face, indicating there's not enough battery left for the run. I got back in the car and am at home charging it for a local run in a nearby park.

If the option were there for the battery indicator to be "always on" in that same spot, I would have seen that the battery was low long before it reached the point of unusablility.

Yes, I could have checked the battery at breakfast before we left, but I didn't. The watch charges quickly....even 20 minutes charging at home would have probably let me do the run I had planned.

Please consider this tweak for a future release. It really would help me, and I'm sure many others, avoid this situation.

Brian

Comments

• tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,953
     Superuser
    dermbrian wrote:
    I just got back from dropping my wife off at work and a planned hour long run near there on the levee trails of downtown Dallas. When I went to pair my headphones, I saw the dreaded "battery almost dead" indicator on the watch face, indicating there's not enough battery left for the run. I got back in the car and am at home charging it for a local run in a nearby park.

If the option were there for the battery indicator to be "always on" in that same spot, I would have seen that the battery was low long before it reached the point of unusablility.

Yes, I could have checked the battery at breakfast before we left, but I didn't. The watch charges quickly....even 20 minutes charging at home would have probably let me do the run I had planned.

Please consider this tweak for a future release. It really would help me, and I'm sure many others, avoid this situation.

Brian

I agree, it seems like this is such a simple fix and has enough interest that they should do it. How hard can it be to put a tiny battery meter on the watch face?
  • daschmitz0
    daschmitz0 Registered Users Posts: 4
    Neophyte Traveler
    I just came here to post the same feature request as I had the exact some issue as above.

Battery indicator should be on the main display..
  • gl00
    gl00 Posts: 965
    Revered Pioneer
    tfarabaugh wrote:
    it seems like this is such a simple fix and has enough interest that they should do it. How hard can it be to put a tiny battery meter on the watch face?

I guess the issue is that the main screen is already quite crowded and would need some redesign: the only bit of space left on the main screen is the bottom left corner, which already houses the alarm and activity goal icons.

I would gladly swap these against a battery level indicator though, and really don't mind having smaller icons and/or fonts
  • xray79
    xray79 Registered Users Posts: 160
    Renowned Wayfarer
    I agree and would like that icon also on main screen, i make it a habit to quick charge it (during shower/work etc) every day or after a longer run/workout session. But a reminder would be nice.
    Also the goal activity icon is not needed for me and I don't know why they put that on the main screen, probably to compete with other activity trackers? But yes I would like to swap that for a battery icon in a heartbeat.
  • Mannomission
    Mannomission Registered Users Posts: 8
    Master Explorer
    I think a couple of changes to the battery indicator are required
    -The user should have option to add it to the main screen, it shouldnt appear by default as some people may not want it there at all times
    -I also think there should be an option to change the indicator from a 3 bar icon to an actual percentage value giving people a better idea of actual usage remaining
  • jaumeng
    jaumeng Registered Users Posts: 33
    Outstanding Explorer
    Yes I do agreed for the battery level indicator to be displayed in main screen. Had a bit of doubt this morning when I found out that I only have half bar left before walk/jog. Spent two and a half hours exercising and so worried that my activity record will be lost once the battery is dead. However, the battery lasted almost 3 hours with GPS + music on AND enough juice for me to drive back and charge ... pheeww.
  • fishfreak
    fishfreak Registered Users Posts: 1
    Apprentice Traveler
    dermbrian wrote:

Brian

I recommend changing this/logging as a feature request. If the watch is plugged into the computer but the app isn't running, it already shows you a small battery indicator bottom left of the screen, so I would think that this could be added via software update very easily.

It really is a UX blunder to force the user to navigate away from the main screen to see something as critical as battery level.
  • Malyrex1
    Malyrex1 Registered Users Posts: 4
    Master Traveler
    I own Runner2, Adventurer and presented Spark3 to my girlfriend.
    Unfortunately absence of battery indicator on main screen has already let me down several times during bike ride and during ordinary every-day wearing. Low battery indicator is not enough on main screen, as I have no possibility immediately return home and charge the watch.
    Pls add option to make battery indicator permanent on main screen. No matter its size, place and how precise it will be. I just want to see battery status at once when I look at the watch.
    (As for me It is very strange not to have this feature "from the box". For me it is the same as battery indicator on my Android phone. Of course they could "hide" it somewhere in Settings submenu.)
    Garmin Vivoactive HR has the indicator on main screen. (the closest competitor)
    Even my old Casio Protrek prg110 has solar battery which can work one year without charging and it has battery indicator on main screen (High/Medium/low).