Compass not working right — TomTom Community

Compass not working right

A.MirA.Mir Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
edited January 2019 in TomTom Adventurer
Hi!

I have a frustrating problem with my TT Adventurer that I've recently purchased.

The problem is that I simply can't get the compass to work right. I've done multiple calibrations as advised but with no success. It's a mess and makes all the features I want to use pretty worthless.

I've done a handful of "hard resets" too and the strange thing is that after a hard reset everything works just fine. However, when I pair the Adventurer with my smartphone (Huawei P9, Android 7/Nougat) and dial in all my information (age, height, units etc.) the compass gets all haywire again and calibrating it doesn't help.

This must be a software bug. Anyone else experiencing this?

Overall, I'm enjoying the product but this flaw redeem it pretty worthless. Fortunately, I have 14 days of free return so getting my money back would not be a problem, but I'm kind of sad letting it go.

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,851
    Superusers
    I have not heard of that before and it is odd that it calibrates until you pair it with the phone. At this point I would suggest calling Customer Support to see what they can do. They are able to more deeply investigate and diagnose problems than we can here on the user forum. To get the number for Customer Support, select Contact Us at the bottom of this page, select the service required and the product name and click Contact Customer Care and then Phone Us. It will give you the phone number for the country your account is registered under (this can be changed by clicking the flag icon in the bottom right corner of the screen).

I would take care with your buying decision considering TT has left the wearables market and is not producing any new devices (and never even released the Adventurer in the US), I would assume at this point any updates will be limited to bug fixes. I would not expect much more development so what you get in the box will likely be all there is. There are also major connectivity and battery drain issues that have not been resolved in over six months, so keep that in mind as you decide whether to return it or not.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • A.MirA.Mir Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thank you for your reply.

I was actually not aware that TT had left the wearables market. I got the Adventurer for $140 on sale and thought I made a good deal on it. My initial goal was to get the Garmin FR 235 or the Polar M430 but they were priced a lot higher and the Adventurer had some features that the other two models didn't have.

I like the TT Sports app, the fast GPS lock-on and precise HR-sensor on the Adventurer. If bug fixes are what TT only has to offer now for their wearables I can still accept that given that the Adventurer has all the features I need but the question is how obligated TT are with the bug fixes.

I might just return it and get the Garmin or Polar instead.
  • A.MirA.Mir Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I've done some more troubleshooting.
    1. I did a hard reset on the watch. Deleted the TT Sport app on my smartphone along with cache
    2. Didn't plug it in my MacBook or paired it with my smartphone. Instead I played with the settings on the watch without pairing it with any other external device
    I think I've found the bug. It's not when pairing my MacBook nor my smartphone with the Adventurer.

The compass bug happens when I turn off "Goals" within the menusystem of the watch. I will only be tracking my runs - not my daily steps or anything like that so I obviously turned it off. It seems the compass goes crazy when doing this. A calibrations won't even help.

Turning "Goals" on made the bug/problem disappear. For now.

I need to do some more testing.
    Superusers
    A.Mir wrote:
    I've done some more troubleshooting.
    1. I did a hard reset on the watch. Deleted the TT Sport app on my smartphone along with cache
    2. Didn't plug it in my MacBook or paired it with my smartphone. Instead I played with the settings on the watch without pairing it with any other external device
    I think I've found the bug. It's not when pairing my MacBook nor my smartphone with the Adventurer.

The compass bug happens when I turn off "Goals" within the menusystem of the watch. I will only be tracking my runs - not my daily steps or anything like that so I obviously turned it off. It seems the compass goes crazy when doing this. A calibrations won't even help.

Turning "Goals" on made the bug/problem disappear. For now.

I need to do some more testing.
    Very weird, I can't imagine why that would happen as they are completely different systems. Hopefully TT will take note of your post (although again yours is the only one I have seen, so it may not be a prevalent problem).
    Superusers
    A.Mir wrote:
    Thank you for your reply.

I was actually not aware that TT had left the wearables market. I got the Adventurer for $140 on sale and thought I made a good deal on it. My initial goal was to get the Garmin FR 235 or the Polar M430 but they were priced a lot higher and the Adventurer had some features that the other two models didn't have.

I like the TT Sports app, the fast GPS lock-on and precise HR-sensor on the Adventurer. If bug fixes are what TT only has to offer now for their wearables I can still accept that given that the Adventurer has all the features I need but the question is how obligated TT are with the bug fixes.

I might just return it and get the Garmin or Polar instead.
    They have laid off the mostly the entire sports Division and it has taken over 6 months to address the connectivity issues (which is still not fixed) and have not even addressed the battery drain issues,. so I think even bug fixes are questionable. I like the [product and the people behind it but I think at this point it is too orphaned to be a viable option go forward. there is a reason you got it for half price. You will pay more for another brand but you get what you pay for. You know what they say "Buy cheap, buy twice".

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.