Calories burned? — TomTom Community

Calories burned?

isabella81199isabella81199 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
I have a spark (music + cardio) and I'm confused about the calorie count displayed one panel down from the daily steps.

I believe it includes bmr because it continues to increase even if I am inactive.

However I'm not sure why my count is so innaccurate. Everyday I end at about 1,000 calories, whether I meet the daily 10,000 steps or reach over 30,000. Even if I go on a very long run the calorie count never goes above 1,100.

I am very short (5' 0") and a healthy weight, but I am very active (physical labor and exercise daily) and should be burning about 1,500 calories a day.

Please let me know if there is something I'm missing or if this is just innaccurate.

Thank you :)

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,772
    Superusers
    The watch computes a BMR based on your gender, height, weight, etc. and takes this along with steps and sports activities to come up with calories burned. So it is taking the base calories from being alive (breathing, digesting, etc.) adding the calories burned during sports activities and then adding calories to reflect active time (including steps). Steps are going to include steps taken during the sports activities so they might not add anything as the associated calories have already been accounted for and even when they are, they are of a much smaller impact since your HR is not particularly going up when you walk, so that energy is accounted for in the BMR. This is exactly what it and all other activity trackers are designed to do. In my experience it is generally pretty accurate (or as accurate as BMR based calculations can be as they are based on averages), but it may not be for you depending on where you fall against the average.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • isabella81199isabella81199 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    @tfarabaugh yes it does thank you
  • Juve18Juve18 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I played one hour run - 3km. The watch told me I burnt 236 kcal. Activity mode: running.
    Another day, without inserting any mode, I walter for 3,5km and it displayed a calorie burnt of 1050kcal. Why this happened?
    Superusers
    You are mixing up the sports tracking with the 24/7 activity tracking. When you start a sports activity it is counting calories just for that activity. In run mode, it uses METs values, which are predetermined calorie burns based on pace and you personal stats, not HR. If you are looking at the 24/7 activity tracking data (which is all you could be seeing if you did not start an activity), that is calculating your calories for the entire day, based on your BMR.
  • xray79xray79 Posts: 160 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    Juve18 wrote:
    I played one hour run - 3km. The watch told me I burnt 236 kcal. Activity mode: running.
    Another day, without inserting any mode, I walter for 3,5km and it displayed a calorie burnt of 1050kcal. Why this happened?
    As @tfarabaugh already mentioned you only see the calories of that activity.
    Rest days will show you in the end of the day around 1500kcal and whenever you do exercises these calories are added to the normal calories burnt per day.
    So if you did the run on the same day as the 1050kcal burned it would show you as a total calorie burnt on that day of 1286kcal (238+1050)
  • pogodekpogodek Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I'm afraid, those calculations are far from accuracy. I weigh 73 kg, 179 cm tall. I monitor my calorie intake logging every food i eat with Fatsecret. I do 4 weight-lifting sessions weekly. My present calorie intake is about 2700 kcal and I maintain my weight. If I only go as low as 2200-2400, I'm starting losing weight. I wear TT Spark 3 Cardio 27/7 and it never showed more than 1900 kcal burned. So, according to TT I'm on about 800 kcal surplus (?!) If it was true I would be fat as a pig in no time. In my opinion those calculations are as reliable as fat % on home scales using BIA. Just don't pay attention to it. The only thing you can observe is trend, not the actual figures.
  • NitokrisNitokris Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I'm so confused about this, I've read the comments above but it doesn't make sense to me.

I've only just got the watch today and I've been using myfitnesspal for a few weeks to track all my calories in relation to a body fat scan I did. So I'm supposed to burn 330 a day, and eat no more than 1700.

What do I write into the tracker as the goal? Is it the calories I have to aim to burn per day (330)? Or my total Calories I can eat for the day (1700)?

It says I've already burnt 400 (if that's what its saying?) and I've only been sitting here at the computer for a few hours...

Help!
    Superusers
    Nitokris wrote:
    I'm so confused about this, I've read the comments above but it doesn't make sense to me.

I've only just got the watch today and I've been using myfitnesspal for a few weeks to track all my calories in relation to a body fat scan I did. So I'm supposed to burn 330 a day, and eat no more than 1700.

What do I write into the tracker as the goal? Is it the calories I have to aim to burn per day (330)? Or my total Calories I can eat for the day (1700)?

It says I've already burnt 400 (if that's what its saying?) and I've only been sitting here at the computer for a few hours...

Help!
    If you were alive and breathing, digesting, etc. then you were burning calories and that is what a 24/7 activity tracker is supposed to be tracking. It computes a BMR based on your gender, height, weight, etc. and takes this along with steps and sports activities to come up with calories burned. So between midnight and whenever you woke up you burned 400 calories just being alive. This is exactly what it and all other activity trackers are designed to do. In my experience it is generally pretty accurate (or as accurate as BMR based calculations can be as they are based on averages). This is your basal calorie burn, not relating to sports activities. I assume you 330 goal is meant to be burned in an activity on top of this.
  • NitokrisNitokris Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Ok thanks, that makes more sense. Although I'm not sure why you would need to set a goal number for that.
  • Mauro BarrosMauro Barros Posts: 1 [Novice Seeker]
    Hello! Can You explain me why the "kcal" in my watch is different than the mobile after synchronization? thanks
    Superusers
    Hello! Can You explain me why the "kcal" in my watch is different than the mobile after synchronization? thanks

You should be able to fix it for your watch by following these steps (make sure you have installed the latest version of Connect if prompted):

1) Plug the watch into the computer and in Sports Connect, click the Gear Icon
    2) Press CTRL (Windows) or CMD (MAC) on your keyboard while you hover your mouse over the reset button.
    3) You'll see the reset button turns into a "Turn Off" button.
    4) Click it, disconnect the watch and the screen will go dead.
    5) Reconnect the watch and it will wake up and quick fix should now update as usual.