Not Happy with TomTom quality specially Watch Strap quality . Very Poor — TomTom Community

Not Happy with TomTom quality specially Watch Strap quality . Very Poor

msmerwahmsmerwah Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
How many people think that TOM-TOM has very poor Watch Strap quality and they are doing R&D at the cost of customer money as this poor product only have one year warranty . When they knew (internally )the life of Strap is not more that 1- 1.5 years ( As my watch strap also broken 13~15 months and when I read other Forum , there also complaints are same). So it sound like watch straps are revenue making machine for TOM TOM

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 15,830 Superusers
    The entire wearables market was a revenue loser for TomTom, which is why they left it and are no longer producing devices. They definitely have strap issues but I will at least give them credit for being good about replacing them (for free) no questions asked. There is actually a site where you can self-service ordering new straps and they are pretty generous about the warranty.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • msmerwahmsmerwah Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
    Yes they might be pretty generous about the warranty . But as in my case my strap brokes in 13+ month and they are simple saying " Sir we know that strap has quality problem but as you have call after warranty ( 12 months) is over so you need to buy it".

It is something sounds like we know our product quality is bad but we are smart that we have designed the warranty clause such that we cover our self rather making money out of bad quality also .

Also these rubber/plastic parts are not that expensive part - principally . Company use plastic /rubber to save cost.

And if you see the cost of spare strap is 10~20% of the New Product (watch) cost .

TOM TOM trick is if they sell on strap they can recover cost of 50 strap ( may be 100 ) they given free of cost.

Raw material + manufacturing cost of rubber part is very low in the world of mass production.. Only the Cost of Quality in rubber part make it's value high as rejection in manufacturing is high and it is difficult to maintain the quality .. But TOM TOM failed to deliver quality ( irrespective of keeping warranty )

So if one see the whole picture , you can see the game they are playing.

Also poor quality strap ( which broke every 12~15 months ever earlier as as mentioned in the forum by other users) make wrist watch even worst of wall clock . As these wrist watch need charging in regularing :-) :-)
  • PheenyPheeny Posts: 17 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    I'm now on my 3rd strap for my TomTom runner...
  • JürgenJürgen Posts: 5,088 Community Manager
    @msmerwah
    Just fill in this form and we'll provide you with a new strap free of charge - regardless of the date of purchase: https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/strap_repair
    @msmerwah
    Just fill in this form and we'll provide you with a new strap free of charge - regardless of the date of purchase: https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/strap_repair

I've just tried the link but it gives me an error,perhaps because I'm in Belgium?
    Pheeny wrote:
    @msmerwah

I've just tried the link but it gives me an error,perhaps because I'm in Belgium?

But I've just received an email saying my request for a new strap has been received so it appears the link has worked.
    Hi Jürgen

Thanks for your reply . I have filled the form provided with link ..This Incident Number I got is INCIDENT:1803xx-xxxxxx

I have also talked the . customer care at Number :18001234123 in India. But the response i got is very weird . They said in from forum they can't check the authenticity of person whose has comment to you about " Just fill in this form and we'll provide you with a new strap free of charge - regardless of the date of purchase" .

And they will not send the strap free of cost .

So now your response raise the hope in me that someone in TOM TOM company is concern about the customer and customer experience . But sadly again your colleague in India don't know about what customer care is about and they keep speaking the standard dialogues of policies and all that .

This again reinforce my believe that TOM TOM is not the company to bank upon and i don't want to use there product in my life .

They also said you have raise your concern in UK forum and we are from india. I dont know why there is difference in customer service for customer in UK and Customer in Indian... And i am very much further afraid of this TOM TOM company if they have customer discrimination based on Customer's country .

AND ALSO PRODUCT IS like CRAP - Wristwatch without strap.
    I am about to intentional break my TOM TOM Watch as it is not giving me happiness but the pain and spoil my day when ever I to these so called customer care person in India of TOM TOM company .

If possible please reply ASAP about whether i will still get a strap -free of cost or not .
    You can contact me on my mobile phone :0091-999xxxxxxx

Regards
    Manpreet

Mod edit: Please do not post any personal information on a public forum!
  • lampardlampard Posts: 4,336 TomTom Moderator
    Jürgen wrote:
    @msmerwah
    Just fill in this form and we'll provide you with a new strap: https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/strap_repair

This does not apply to our customers in India as the replacement policies and procedures are different as compared to other countries.

Cheers,
    lampard
  • lampardlampard Posts: 4,336 TomTom Moderator
    Jürgen wrote:
    @msmerwah

To clarify this further, the OOW free replacement does not apply to our customers in India as the replacement policies and procedures are different as compared to other countries.

Cheers,
    lampard
    Thanks and that is the point . TOM TOM doesnt have good quality of product ( Watch Strap) and upon that they have different policy for different country ..

SO now i need to scrap my watch for sure as i don't have to buy again the poor quality product ( New strap) . Else i would be fool to keep buy the product knowing that the product quality is not good and spare part price is too high ( Strap cost 10% of New watch cost) .. :-) :-).

And i recommend other also please dont buy tom tom watches they good for nothing if you can't able to wear it after 1 year due to broken strap .

thanks
    Manpreet
    Sorry Manpreet but the TomTom watch is a great piece of equipment and I'm very satisfied with mine,just the strap could be of better quality.Also can I add that in the past I've had a Garmin watch and I also had to replace the strap with the cost on me.
    Hi Pheeny

I have already said Wrist Watch only good if you can wear it on waist else it is just like Wall clock hanging in my room .

It is like you hv car with great Engine/Air conditioner but bad tyres which get puncture like balloon so you keep it in garage only and sit in it in hot summer time ..HAHAHA.

So I atleast expect good strap which should be durable, comfortable in hot climate, not causing skin allergy.

And as TOM TOM Wrist watch doesn't have good quality strap so i have better option for wall clock if hv to buy wall clock only.

Regards
    Manpreet
    Pheeny wrote:
    Pheeny wrote:
    @msmerwah

But I've just received an email saying my request for a new strap has been received so it appears the link has worked.

What is the latest on this as no one has gotten back to me since I received the initial email?