Bluetooth disconnects

dspin
dspin Registered Users Posts: 2
Apprentice Traveler
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
During a Marathon and two half-Marathons the Bluetooth headset disconnected from my Spark Music device. Annoyingly, there was no way to reconnect it without interrupting the race's tracking, so I had to continue running without music. If the Bluetooth connection was rock-stable, then the lack of a reconnection feature wouldn't be an important problem. As things stand, I consider this to be a serious and irritating bug. Other forum members have complained about this problem as well, more than a year ago. When do you plan to fix this problem by offering a Bluetooth reconnection option?

Comments

• tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,949
     Superuser
    Likely never. They can't get basic phone connectivity and battery drain resolved after six months so I imagine this is low on the list. In any case, TT has left the wearables market and is not producing any new devices, so I would expect at this point any updates will be limited to bug fixes. I would not expect much more development and certainly not something major particularly on the watch side (they may continue to tweak the MySports site and app, but not the watches themselves). This is something we are going to have to live with, I am afraid.

I imagine this is not what you were hoping to hear but let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so other can look for it if they have the same question.
  • dspin
    dspin Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Traveler
    Thank you for the swift and insightful reply. The Bluetooth connection functionality is already part of the watch's software, it's just not provided when activity tracking is on. As a software developer I can say that adding it as an option when tracking is paused, should be fairly easy; it shouldn't require the development of new software code. And as I wrote, with Bluetooth connections being unstable, the ability to reconnect should be viewed as a bug fix in order to provide the product's intended use: activity tracking and listening to music.

From your reply I gather that our devices have been orphaned. If TomTom is leaving the particular market and abandoning development on these devices even before their functionality has been stabilized at an acceptable level, the decent thing to do would be to make their code available as open source software so that volunteer contributors can take the lead in fixes and enhancements. This might even lead to a renaissance for TomTom's wearables and open a new market for TomTom.

TomTom are you listening?