Location Search functionality on Start 52 -Postcode Only?? - Page 4 — TomTom Community

Location Search functionality on Start 52 -Postcode Only??

Comments

• bigboycrpbigboycrp Posts: 8 [Legendary Explorer]
    Lets have a reply soon please!
    Bump!
    It is obviously not anything that is important!!
  • john pjohn p Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    As the person who started this line of questioning, I would like to thank millerart for taking up the cause.
    Like him, I have tried very possible way of navigating with a START 52 using only the postcode- it does not work. I am absolutely astonished that Tom Tom have pretty much said, that's the way it is- deal with it!
    Surely they can produce a software update that will rectify this?? I cannot see any reason for them to remove this facility- it's not as if you can go the usual rip off route of buying extra software to fix it. Making it very clear to Tom Tom, there are lots & lots of addresses in rural areas, that don't have a street name.
    If you don't get this changed Tom Tom, you are going to lose a hell of a lot of customers over this.
    Taking that a stage further, given the fact that I wasn't made aware of this sortware change before purchase, shouldn't I be able to return my sat nav for a refund from Tom Tom?
  • millerartmillerart Posts: 22 [Apprentice Traveler]
    My latest reply from TomTom:

Dear Mr Miller,

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support.

I understand that you are unable to find some addresses by using post codes on your TomTom device.

I would like to apologise for the inconvenience caused to you. Please be assured, I will definitely help you regarding this issue.

I have confirmed this with the technical team. This is a known issue with the new START series device. In the START series devices we have hierarchical search so searching for an address is a step by step process, i.e. Address> Country> City/Postcode> Street.

It seems for Post Codes without a Street Name the device still demands a street name be selected, but if there isn't one to select then the device can't proceed.

This is issue supposed to be resolved after a recent application update. This is unfortunate that the issue still persists.

Please note, that this issue only affects post codes that are not associated with a street name, mostly in rural areas.
    We are aware of the inconvenience this is causing, please be assured our Technical Team are working on a resolution with high priority.

really NOT good enough. I raised this problem almost a year ago......
    Hello Tomtom - anyone there?
    We need an update on this serious issue with this device please!
  • GuyAGuyA Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    I have long been a TomTom user, faithfully returning to my ancient GO after using a Garmin to guide us across France, and a truck Snooper in the UK.
    I am appalled at the monumental incompetence of TomTom's top management, first in failing to competently audit the specification and testing of the affected new models, and the subsequent complacency in allowing the problem to go unresolved for over a year; there seems to be no appreciation of the seriousness of this problem even if it is confined to the UK.
    Royal Mail (formerly the GPO) devised the UK Postcode system on the basis that postcode plus property name/number uniquely identifies an address; a street/road name is superfluous although it is useful a a double-check where a property has no name, only a number. e.g. 66, SW1 1AA is a complete address for 66, Pall Mall, LONDON.
    It is not just 'some rural' addresses that cannot be entered, major destinations such as the various terminals at Heathrow, Gatwick and other major UK airports and ferry ports, often have no road name in their addresses.
    Now that my antique GO has died, it will be replaced by some other make - I am not prepared to risk buying a TomTom model that does at first work properly only to have it rendered largely useless by a software update that contains a serious defect about which TomTom subsequently does nothing.
    Well said - I for one will not be buying another TomTom.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,968 Superusers
    Hi
    @GuyA
    Its Only the latest Start 42/52/62 Range that is restricted to this particular 'Step by Step' search engine
    All of the previous NAV4 Models and the remaining Models in the NAV5 (Wi-Fi) Ranges... The Via and GO have both the 'Step by Step search' and the far superior 'Quick search' as menu options

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'
    I should have made it clear that I'm aware that the problem is restricted to the Start 42/52/62 models; my concern is that it would make sense to TomTom to 'rationalise' on a simpler, standard, Interface with only the Step by Step search, in which case it would also make sense to implement this in all future software updates including those for existing models which currently also have the 'Quick Search' option; as far as I'm aware, the previous Start models didn't suffer from this fault.
    Hi
    I cant see why the Menu flow isn't the same a the earlier NAV3 devices
    The NAV3 devices have a similar hierarchical search to the Start 42/52/62 models
    BUT the NAV3 devices allow you...
    (1)... To enter a Postcode
    (2)... Offer you the Postcode
    (3)... Tap the offered Postcode to accept
    (4)... The device now asks you the House Number
    OR
    (5)... Simply Tap 'OK' to search for the Postcode
    The main difference is 'OR'
    instead of doggedly sitting there waiting for you to input the Road/Street Name

ATB YFM

And WHICH satnav? - A TomTom START 52! :-))). Congratulations, TomTom, marvellous bit of salesmanship to flog this to the DSA! It's not for us to comment when even our government believes your sales pitch!!!

5b82a98e-c0bd-46b2-8035-956f24f967ce.png
    Where there's a will, there's a wake.
  • YikkityYikkity Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
    I have a Start 62. I reported this problem to Tom Tom over a year ago. I live in rural Scotland and deliver to farms. Search by postcode does not work. I don't use my Start 62 any more. It is still like new. If Tom Tom cannot or will not fix the issue with their software they should offer to replace the affected units in the UK for a model suited to the UK and withdraw these units from UK sale. It is NOT acceptable to have a sat nav device unable to search by this method.

Surely they must have known this would cause huge issues in a country with so many in named roads!
    +1 A fix is long overdue...
    The Postcode code search bug when using the latest Start devices is a real pain
    Any search for a Postcode... You have to enter a road/street name to execute a search ??? Why....
    If you know the road/street name and a house number you don't need the Postcode
    Most people use a Postcode because they don't know the road/street name and house number
    Isolated farms, Single building, Office blocks, Retail parks, Hospitals, New builds etc...
    For me it renders the latest Start device useless in the UK

ATB YFM

TomTom ain’t about to withdraw these - not when they’ve achieved the sales coup of the century by getting the Start 52 in every driving examiner’s briefcase - it obviously means every driving school and instructor has to buy one!!
    Hi
    @Carminat
    From what I've read the route will be planned by the Examiner, I can't see the examiner wanting you to drive to a postcode???

No one is talking about withdrawing them, just sort the Postcode problem

ATB YFM

"If Tom Tom cannot or will not fix the issue with their software they should offer to replace the affected units in the UK for a model suited to the UK and withdraw these units from UK sale."

One major point I made is that TomTom have somehow managed to be awarded the only approved satnav for driving tests, so not only will every driving examiner have one, but so too will every driving instructor who offers to show pupils how to follow a satnav instructions - and that is every driving instructor. It also seems logical to assume that if a pupil has been taught how to use a Start 52, that student is highly likely to go out and buy a Start 52 for their own future use.
    Hi
    @Carminat
    'OK' Yikkity's post suggested....
    Yikkity wrote:
    [Snip] If Tom Tom cannot or will not fix the issue with their software they should offer to replace the affected units in the UK for a model suited to the UK and withdraw these units from UK sale [Snip]
    I realize now you were replying to to user Yikkity's post and not mine

I agree with everyone else the postcode problem on the latest Start devices need to be corrected

ATB YFM

And what do you think about the government requirement that during the driving test, 80% of drivers MUST follow the directions issued by a TomTom Start 52, not a YFM 14, not a Garmin, not a TomTom GO 520, not any other satnav except a TomTom Start 52 - that's a regulation from the government, not an option. The examiner will put a Start 52 on the dashboard and tell the examinee to follow the directions coming from it. Fail to do so and you may not pass the driving test.

So 100% of learner drivers will need to learn to follow a satnav in preparation for the exam. They cannot use their own satnav during the test, only the one placed there by the examiner. Would you, as an inexperienced trainee driver, think it best to practice by following directions from the exact same model as the one you will HAVE TO use during the test? Would you, as a driving instructor, not bother with teaching a pupil how to follow a satnav in the hope that he'll be one of the 20% who won't be called upon to follow one? Would a driving instructor think it best to practice by following directions from the exact same model as the one you will HAVE TO use during the test? (Would you practice driving a forklift truck in order to take a car test or an HGV test?) No doubt every driving examiner has the Start 52 provided by the government AND that the government has NOT paid the retail price for them - I'd even hazard a guess that they got them free. But the driving instructors will have to pay full retail price. And the learner drivers will have to pay full price. This is a marketing coup for TomTom - and it's with a dodgy product - none of the Start 52s will be able to navigate to a postcode after the unsuspecting learners have passed their tests!!!
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,206 Superusers
    I don't think anybody is 'praising' Tomtom for having a model with such crappy software that it can't search for postal codes properly.

However, the complaints by users and prospective users should be directed to whichever government agency in Britain that made the decision to mass purchase these models without due diligence.

Carminat, have you contacted the BBC about this? Any other media? The relevant government agency? Has anybody? If not, why not?

In Britain, as I understand it, you have consumer protection laws much stronger than the junk we have here in Canada, including the 'not fit for purpose' clause somewhere. Can't you people use that?
  • CarminatCarminat Posts: 951 [Revered Pioneer]
    @dhn

I put the quotation from the government website on driving tests into this thread in order to encourage those who care enough to do just exactly what you suggest. Personally, I have looked at other users' comments for years now before buying TomTom devices - actually before NOT buying them - ever since TT started dumbing down and leaving out so many great features which I used to enjoy using.

But I'm not a Start 52 user, so I don't feel any urge to go public or legal (we also have rules or laws invalidating hearsay) - let those who are owners do that.
    Hi
    Thanks for your lengthy reply....
    What's the problem in following the instructions of a preset route using a Tomtom SatNav ??? it's easy-peasy we do it every day

ATB YFM

Hi
    @Carminat
    You made your point...
    But are we discussing the problems with Step by Step POI search used on the latest Start range or the new rules for the UK Driving test ???

Perhaps you should start a new thread on the vagaries of the revised Driving test

ATB YFM