Adding New POI,s to 6250 truck — TomTom Community

Adding New POI,s to 6250 truck

I have added my poi file to my new 6250 but Cannot see how to add new locations to the same poi file?? Help please

Comments

• ZsoltZsolt Posts: 36,007 Superusers
    I suppose you need to do it on the PC, via a 3rd party app that can edit POIs and the re-upload.
  • TonySTonyS Posts: 38 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Transferring third party or personal POI categories and their associated POIs from one TomTom navigation device to another is now fairly easy. For those of you, who like me want or need to use personal POI categories, it is most definitely worth the effort. Simply Google “Transferring POIs from one navigation device to another” and follow the instructions provided by TomTom UK support. For those of you who are not sure whether they could benefit from personal POIs, a Helpful Answer at the bottom of the Google page details the advantages of POIs over Favourites.

However, it is an altogether different matter to create a new personal category of POIs and add POIs to the category folder, or add new POIs to existing third party or personal POI categories,. The process is straightforward enough, but it is a ludicrously lengthy and laborious procedure. For those prepared to make the effort, the following technique works. All the following steps except the very last are carried out on a PC.

Step 1 – Install POI Editor for TomTom.
    · Download and install the free software “POI Editor for TomTom” onto your PC. This software can be found at https://www.poieditor.com/.

Step 2 – Creating a Personal POI file folder.
    · Open POI Editor for TomTom. Using the main menu at the top select > File > New to create a new personal POI category file. You will not be able to save this file until you have added at least one POI. You will therefore need either to keep the software open while you perform Step 3, or re-open it again when you have the details of your first POI to hand.

Step 3 – Adding a POI.
    · Open Google Maps. Locate the point you wish to add to your list of personal POIs. Click on the point, and a small box will appear at the bottom of the screen giving the precise Latitude and Longitude of the spot. If the box does not appear, move the cursor slightly and try again. Either keep this open as a reference while you add the POI to your Personal POI file folder or, write down the Latitude and Longitude.
    · To add the POI, ensure the POI Editor for TomTom is open. Follow Step 2 again if required. Using the main menu at the top select > POI > Add. In the Name column, type the name you wish to give your POI in the box. Tab to the Lat column, and add your Latitude. This will be a negative number in the Southern hemisphere. Tab to the Lng column, and add your Longitude. This will be a negative number in the Western hemisphere. If present, these negatives are essential, or your POI will appear in the wrong hemisphere and not be much use to you. Tab to the Tel and Memo columns and add any required information. Personally, I have not used either Tel or Memo, and cannot guarantee that they work without any issues.

Step 4 - Saving your first POI in a Personal Category File.
    · To save your first POI and the personal POI category file, select > File > Save As. Locate where on your PC you want to save your personal POI category file, give it an appropriate name, and Save, using the default type (*.ov2).

Step 5 – Sorting POIs.
    · If there is more than one POI in your personal POI category, it is absolutely essential to sort them alphabetically before saving. If the POIs in the file are not sorted, then when you open the category on your TomTom expecting to see your POIs, it will tell you that: “No POIs found.”
    · Using the POI Editor for TomTom main menu, select > Position > Sort Ascending. This will sort all the POIs in the file alphabetically by name.

Step 6 – Adding and Saving Additional POIs in your Personal POI Category.
    · To add additional POIs to your personal category, simply follow Step 3 again.
    · To save those additional POIs select > File > Save. Remember, the POIs must be sorted alphabetically before saving.
    · POI Editor for TomTom can now be safely closed, and the personal POI category and POIs can be made available to your TomTom following steps 7 and 8 below, or if you prefer steps 6 to 11 on the Google page detailed at the head of these guidelines.
    · Further additional POIs can be added to your personal POI category using the same procedure whenever required.

Step 7 – Loading your Personal POI folder and POIs to MyDrive Connect.
    · Open MyDrive Connect.
    · Select The Smartest Route Planner.
    · Select Route Planner.
    · Select the My Places icon in the top left hand corner of the screen. It is unlabelled, but the middle one of a vertical list of 5 icons.
    · The My Places splash screen opens. Select Import POI File, to be found at the bottom of the splash screen.
    · Select Select File.
    · Browse on your PC to the location where you have saved your personal POI category file. Choose the file and select Open.
    · The Import POI File splash screen opens. Select Import.
    · The Sync your OV2 File splash screen opens. Read, then select OK.
    · The Personal POI file folder is now available to your TomTom.

Step 8 – Loading and Finding your Personal File folder and POIs on your Device.
    · Connect your navigation device to a power source within range of your wifi hub.
    · Within a few moments, your updated personal File folder will be downloaded to the device.
    · To find your personal POI category on your TomTom device, select Menu from the welcome screen.
    · Select MyPlaces.
    · Scroll to the bottom of your MyPlaces list, where you will find your personal POI category.
    · Select the personal POI category, and all the POIs in the file will be listed in order of increasing distance.
    · Scroll and select your personal POI as required.
    · The selected POI will navigate to the destination in the usual way.

Notes

The technique outlined above works. In my case, it has been worth the time and trouble, as to be quite honest my TomTom 6200 GO would be of little value to me without personal POIs in personal category folders. That said, TomTom you should be ashamed of yourselves. We know that you can make it easier than this. On older devices, it was at least possible to create personal POI categories and personal POIs on the devices themselves with much less effort, and without needing access to a PC. Why on earth is a similar Manage POIs facility not available on the current navigation devices? The latest hardware works superbly, and the traffic information is great, but why must it be such hard work to make my device provide useful navigational guidance. I am now on my fourth TomTom, but unless you get this capability added, and soon, I will never be buying another.
  • Jeep trekkerJeep trekker Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Is there an easier way than one at a time to load these poi files?

I have about 80 that I want to load on and they update regularly. One at a time takes a while. I was hoping to ctrl select to pull them all in at once but that did not work.

Thanks.
  • TonySTonyS Posts: 38 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi Jeep Trekker,

I am pleased to see that there are others out there trying to do this. I am sorry to say that, as far as I am aware, you will have to import the files individually.

Anyone else got any ideas?

Tony S
  • 87jason8787jason87 Posts: 19 [Apprentice Traveler]
    i use my old 5150 to add to my work places poi everytime i arrive at a new place, i then download these to my laptop and transfer them to the 6250 at the weekend. its a nuisance, but for now it works. its just a shame i`m having to use the old tomtom to do what the new updated 6250 should do. tomtom have said they will improve the poi system but this seems to be false promises as we`ve all been waiting over 8 months now. There have been several software updates and its just not happened. staying hopeful though. Also would be good if we could create or correct a weight limit on a map as sometimes your weight limits aren't in the right place. another feature from the 5150 not carried over to the 6250.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 16,485 Superusers
    Hi
    I use this method as a workaround for my "_Favorite Catagory"... Your POI Category titles could be anything you choose
    Create a POI Category with your Favorite places
    Using your PC to build your own MyPlaces (Favorites) Database and load them into your Go
    Download the Free Tyre to Travel Basic..... http://www.tyretotravel.com/download-tyre/
    Tyre To Travel uses Google Maps and the large screen on your PC to view the maps, it easier than to scrolling around the screen of your Tomtom GO to find your MyPlaces (Favorites)

(1)..... Run Tyre to Travel
    Wait for Tyre to stop being busy

(2).....Double Click on the Tyre map at the position you would like to create a POI (Favorite) or use the yellow box in Tyre to search for addresses postcodes etc...

(3)….. To prevent double entry's in MyPlaces on the GO, when you are planning POI's (_Favorites), edit the names of your POI's so they each POI has a unique name that means something to you or modify the Name offered by Tyre so it becomes unique
    (3.1)..... When you have finished compiling your list,
    (3.2)….. From the Tyre "File Tab" select "Convert to a TomTom POI File”

e5b145ab-3a27-4fab-8142-8acd71b104de.png(3.3)….. From the Tyre "File Tab” Select “Save as" I saved my file to the Desktop as "_Favorites (Note "_Favorites.ov2" The Underscore before the "_F" is not displayed on the Tomtom screen, but it forces the POI category to the top of the list

Note: Saving a file is the only way I have found to give the file the name you want rather than the default name, it’s also handy to have a backup of your .Ov2 file on your PC

(4.0)..... Use My Drive to load your New Favorites POI Category to your device

Tomtom Video Using MyDrive.....

You can now delete the MyPlaces that aren't required (Saves the MyPlaces blue star screen clutter) and use your New Favorites POI Category instead

If needed, you can search a POI Category: See.....
    https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/go-and-start-40-50-60-series-go-400-500-600-5000-6000-mydrive-176/tomtom-launches-mydrive-976972?postid=1004348

ATB YFM
  • 87jason8787jason87 Posts: 19 [Apprentice Traveler]
    The thing is here... Why should we have to add poi`s the long way round like that..? Its a faff on isn't it..?

Really..??

Its been over a year that i`ve had one and still cant do this direct on my device. Tut.

Come on TomTom, I really do hope this is going to improve sometime soon.. I know a lot of truckers and van drivers that wont update to one of these from a 5150 just for this reason and quite a few are going over to a Garmin..!

Unfortunately the tyretotravel app isn't practical enough. This is because if you need to add the work POI at the gate when you get there, you need to do this on the TomTom direct, hence why I do it on my old 5150 and transfer at the weekend when I'm home. still very inconvenient.

You cant add Poi`s from postcodes because they aren't reliable enough, as many postcodes are shared in the country and often are half a mile away from where you need to be, which is the fault of the post office.
  • BagieBagie Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    Had I known how awkward it is to add a POI to my existing titles I would never have bought the 6250... I am very disappointed in the backward steps Tom Tom have made in this supposed updated model my Tom Tom work 7000 was a far easier tool to work with and in my opinion better all round sat nav which vexes me as the 6250 is the thick end o £400 , I mean why change the Bluetooth function of the old model which could send & receive files without the need of laptops n Wi-fi.
    Seriously thinking of returning this item to Amazon as it is not the tool I was hoping for it to be, n scouring eBay for another work 7000 model......