Bandit- Loop recording? — TomTom Community

Bandit- Loop recording?

CoolhandCoolhand Posts: 52 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
edited January 2019 in TomTom Bandit Action Camera
I am seriously considering buying the bandit, one thing I can't find is if the bandit offers loop recording with the option of marking a point whereafter that video ( +\- for example 5 minutes) is saved as a seperate file.

In this way the camera can be kept recording while not consuming the complete memorycard and still maintaining the ability to save what happens during the ride/flight.

Comments

• MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi Coolhand,

Welcome to the forum!

There isn't a feature like that exactly. However, you can keep recording as long as your SD card has space for and the Batt-Stick charge lasts for. Long videos are split into 4 GB files. You could also manually add highlights to help you edit your movie later.

For more about recording videos, please see here [user manual]. Long videos can be edited with the Bandit Studio Beta, or with any third party video editor of course.

Cheers, Mikko
  • JaaksJaaks Posts: 18 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Loop recording option would be a superb feature and definitely make me use my Bandit more while driving. Can this be implemented in the future via software?
  • CoolhandCoolhand Posts: 52 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    Hi MikkoK,Thnx for your reply but that is exactly not what I am looking for ;) In this way one would have to scroll through the entire video and edit out the usefull parts instead of just copying the interesting parts.

What I am looking for (and some other competitors offer this) is the functionality that a predefined loop (for example 1 hour) is constantly recording. After pushing the mark button a predefined duration (like 3 minutes before and 5 minutes after (operator defined)) is saved as a separate file. The loop recording keeps recording so the next mark can be made.

This would be extremely helpful when riding motorcycle and suddenly a nice stretch appears which you would like to capture, or when a couple of very nice corners make for some interesting driving. Of course this can also be used by trainers wanting to show these clips to trainees, pilots wanting to show some shot footage etc. etc.

Could you check whether or not this functionality can be integrated (in this way the Bandit would really stand-out in my opinion).
  • gl00gl00 Posts: 965 [Revered Pioneer]
    hi coolhand,

that's actually an interesting idea, but I'm not sure it's that much different from what the bandit does now: you can automatically or manually tag interesting bits in a way similar to what you describe, the only difference is that duration of highlight is preset and cannot be set manually, and that the camera doesn't delete automatically, which in my opinion is an advantage, for the following reasons:

- price of microSD cards: I use exclusively 64Gb cards, allowing for over 4 hours of recording at the highest resolution and frame rate... they're actually very cheap. you can easily double that (or more) by simply reducing the frame rate and/or resolution (obviously, I use an external battery when I record 4hrs non stop)
    - what if you forget to push the button and an interesting bit is not tagged? it would risk being erased. in case I missed a part, I just connect to the phone, fast forward to the part I liked (slide finger on timeline, so it takes just a few seconds) and press the highlight button in the app.
    - bandit app allows you to upload only the parts that have been highlighted to your phone/youtube/etc. just select from the list of highlights, (edit in and out point if necessary) and press a button to send.
    - SD card can be erased from the camera: in case SD card is full, I just make sure I saved the bits I want, and erase (or more safe: just swap a new card in and don't worry for a few more hours) note that the combo battery/SD card module (in case you get a second one) can be easily swapped even with gloves on in case swapping a microSD card is an issue.
  • CoolhandCoolhand Posts: 52 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    Hi gloo,

Thnx for your thoughts. Will the markers which the Bandit inserted show when the video file is opened in, for example, adobe premiere pro? If so than this case can be closed. It this is not the case than I am still convinced it would be a great add-on (it should be an option in the menu).
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi Coolhand,

Thanks for the elaboration!

I've logged this as an improvement request for the product team. Meanwhile, as gloo suggested, you can indeed manually mark the spots in your recording to help you edit it later. I added a mention of this to my previous comment.

Cheers, Mikko
  • Wide_DogWide_Dog Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    I would also like an option to select file lengths 3 or 5 minutes say and if possible loop and over-record oldest footage with the option of using the 'highlight button press to keep a particular protected from erasure. For two reasons.

1. I know many people use their Camera for action & adventure sequences which it does admirably. But I prefer to have my videos in smaller sizes because they are easier to load / edit and convert the sequences that interest me. I have no particular use for the 'on-camera' on-the-fly editing capability. For me it's a bit gimmicky and I will never use it. I prefer using a PC based edit package. (please don't flame me I realise that others here probably think on-the fly editing is the best thing since sliced bread) :-)

2. I can then use it in 'dashcam' mode when commuting. Making the camera more 'useful'
  • JaaksJaaks Posts: 18 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    I agree with your comment and also find the on camera editing a bit limited. But it is cool to show your friends....
    The 'dashcam' mode will be extremely useful!
  • Drivinggod666Drivinggod666 Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi Tomtom

I see various requests to add loop recording onto the bandit as a feature, but cannot see if Tomtom are adding this to the product roadmap.

Will this be a future option, or should I look elsewhere?
  • ReprobateReprobate Posts: 30 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    I agree with the loop option for the same reasons Wide_Dog enumerated.
    I can hardly believe that it would be difficult to put a loop option in the menu whereas you can select a 1, 5, 10, 30 or 60 minute recording loop. Pressing the highlight button would tag a section of it and separately prevent it from being erased when the loop recorded over itself.
  • the-civviethe-civvie Posts: 545 [Master Traveler]
    TomTom have stated on other similar threads that Loop Recording is not in their Roadmap for the Bandit.
    Ahhhhh, and you work for Tomtom?
    No, I am just stating what they themselves stated
    I think its wonderful that you have taken this work upon yourself to help out.
    There are a lot of people on the forum who help others. I like to give something back from what I learn here
  • jayleajaylea Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I Have 2 go pros and one bandit cam, I really could use a loop function. dispute the bad audio on the bandit I like everything else except no looping, Come on guys its a bit of software code and boom the feature is added. its what your customers are asking for but if you insist its not the direction you want to take then guess who's going to get the money for my next 2 cameras ( I do multi shot videos )
  • DiscoSK8DiscoSK8 Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I'm looking for a high end action camera that can do loop recording - I like all the features of the Bandit but the lack of loop recording means that the Bandit disqualifies itself and the intrangence of the development team to consider adding this feature is unbelievable as all their main rivals offer this. I want this camera for my car, my road bike, my off road bike, skiing and sailing. I don't want to faff around with editing features if nothing is worth keeping on the SD card. Sort it out guys the customer wants this and the customer is always right.
  • DST1982DST1982 Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    I'm throwing my hat in the ring for loop recording. I cycle and motorcycle commute. A loop recording option would make the Bandit the standout commuting camera. I'm sure motorcycle couriers would buy this camera in droves with this feature. Surely not a major piece of programming?
  • MartinezstMartinezst Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Agree this should be updated to look. Quite poor that a camera that has so many great uses misses this simple but useful feature. Can you let us know if this will be implemented please?

I purchased a larger memory card but the Bandit seems to stop recording every now and again so had to go back to a smaller one. Every few journeys I have to connect up to my phone and delete videos. So when I forget half way through my journey it will stop recording and there is nothing I can do until I arrive at my destination or find a safe place to stop.
  • DST1982DST1982 Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Hey Martinezst, I had a similar problem with larger cards randomly stopping. If you reset the whole camera from the camera settings menu and format the card it fixes it.
  • MartinezstMartinezst Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Nice one. Will give it a go. Still would be nice to have the loop / auto overwrite feature

Thanks