Cannot operate my One XL from TomTom HOME 2.9.93.432 — TomTom Community

Cannot operate my One XL from TomTom HOME 2.9.93.432

Since the last "critical" update to TomTom HOME (which was forced upon me), I am no longer able to use the "Operate My Device" feature from the App.
The message reads "You cannot use this feature because it is no supported by your device". Clearly this in not true because it still works fine from the older version of HOME that I run on my laptop (and have prevented from being upgraded).
TomTom obviously want to force me into buying a new device by effectively withdrawing support from these old systems and I think that it's a pretty mean trick to play. I understand their problems with map updates on the older devices and I respect their reasons for withdrawing some products. However, the message on their Website states:

"we have stopped sales of map updates and other services as of 15/11/2016. Your trusted device will still work perfectly but you will no longer be able to buy any further map update."

The second sentence is clearly a lie! Are TomTom going to fix this?
Yours
Andy

Comments

• justbrowsingjustbrowsing Posts: 3,094 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    TT have indeed stopped support for that device including no further TTHome tweaks like "Op my GO" and Mapshare (unless you still have a current map subscription) etc
  • jaq-in-the-boxjaq-in-the-box Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Totally agreee with dixonmurray. I had an email from TT about no longer selling maps for legacy devices. Sort of OK with that, but to disable "Operate My Device" in a critical (mandatory) update of TT Home with absolutely no warning is a disgrace and arrogant beyond belief. There was nothing in the email I received and at the very least there should have been a warning and an option not to upgrade. It's this type of behaviour that brings any organisation's reputation crashing down. TT should be crucified for this.
  • FMagellanFMagellan Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Totally agree. I've now converted to Garmin!!! Not sure that was the intention of TomTom but that's one customer they have lost. GOODBYE.
  • BobtechBobtech Posts: 7 [Legendary Explorer]
    I've got a One V3. I've always been very annoyed when I've decided to do an update with the Tomtom Home software just before I dash out somewhere in a hurry, only to have it decide to do a slow complete update. No opportunity to put it off to a convenient time - it just does it and "thanks" me for being patient.

A few months ago I purchased map updates for the next year. After the latest Home Update which it forced onto me, I am losing three of those updates I've paid for, because Home will no longer do them for my "ancient" GPS unit.

Now I've just found that Home won't even let me operate my One V3 from the computer, which the older version did.

I'm going to update my GPS unit, but sure as hell it won't be with another Tomtom. Their arrogance has lost me as a customer. I'm going to Garmin.
    FMagellan wrote:
    Totally agree. I've now converted to Garmin!!! Not sure that was the intention of TomTom but that's one customer they have lost. GOODBYE.
    That makes at least two of us.
  • HorrebowHorrebow Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I am similarly annoyed and insulted. Cannot even change my address and ICE details, both of which could be critical if I'm banged up in my vehicle after and accident somewhere ! Profit before Performance, hey TomTom? Go hang your heads in shame ! Lost another repeat customer (who will not hesitate to advise friends and other car associates not to buy your obsolescing product)
    I bought a Garmin Drive 50LM at a very reduced price just after last Christmas. Its routing algorithms are very close to Google Maps, unlike my old Tomtom which would often calculate needlessly indirect long routes. Plus I get free map updates for a very long time.

But the good thing is that Garmin have enough respect for their customers that when an update is available for their PC software, they let the user decide when to download it. No more of Tomtom's forcing an update with no way to stop it, with their arrogant "Thanks for your patience" comment.

Finally, Tomtom have honoured their maps update as another poster here said they would. Not that it's of much use to me now. The Garmin is a much better GPS than my old Tomtom and I will never go back to Tomtom again.
  • HorrebowHorrebow Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thanks for that Bobtech
    Same here, and I'm glad I did.
  • zebedee2zebedee2 Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    Yet another heavy-handed action by TomTom.

I, too, cannot operate My One New Edition from within TomTom Home.

I'm quite happy to continue to operate this old device with out of date mapping but to hobble the Home software in this way is inexcusable. TomTom have form with such actions even with their more recent products. Arrogance in the extreme.

It's one thing to halt updates of software: it's quite another to deliberately remove functions in an attempt to force the use of newer hardware.

As others have suggested support for this firm is going to evaporate unless they show some respect for their long-standing users.

It's a pity that I also own a more up-to-date TomTom product or I'd be off to Garmin, too.

Come on TomTom - give us back the functionality in TT Home that you've removed.
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,211 Superusers
    1) Uninstall TomTom Home

2) Download last "good" version from http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/application/releases/v2_9_91_411_win.exe

3) Install it without running ie, uncheck the 'Run Home' tick box when installation completes

4) Using Windows Explorer, navigate to
    C:\Program Files\TomTom HOME 2\xul (32 bit Windows)
    or
    C:\Program Files (x86)\TomTom HOME 2\xul (64 bit Windows)
    and find application.ini file

5) Edit application.ini file (you might need admin privileges) and modify "Version=2.9.91.411" to "Version=2.9.94.450"

6) Run TomTom Home. It will believe to be running latest version 2.9.94.450 and therefore not pull the update.
    zebedee2 wrote:
    Yet another heavy-handed action by TomTom.

I, too, cannot operate My One New Edition from within TomTom Home.

I'm quite happy to continue to operate this old device with out of date mapping but to hobble the Home software in this way is inexcusable. TomTom have form with such actions even with their more recent products. Arrogance in the extreme.

It's one thing to halt updates of software: it's quite another to deliberately remove functions in an attempt to force the use of newer hardware.

As others have suggested support for this firm is going to evaporate unless they show some respect for their long-standing users.

It's a pity that I also own a more up-to-date TomTom product or I'd be off to Garmin, too.

Come on TomTom - give us back the functionality in TT Home that you've removed.

That's a very good description of Tomtom's attitude. Deliberate removal of functionality to try to force people to buy new hardware. It certainly worked with me. My Garmin Drive 50LM has been working flawlessly for almost one year while my old Tomtom and its accessories sit in a plastic bag in the back of the car as an emergency backup.

I suppose I should point out that the Garmin cannot be controlled from the PC software in the way that the Tomtom could before they crippled that function. Overall, I'm still much happier with the Garmin than the Tomtom.
  • zebedee2zebedee2 Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    DHN - Thanks very much for your suggestion.

As a result of TomTom's further messing it didn't work exactly to your instruction but that has provided the basis for, at least, a temporary fix.

TomTom has produced several 'critical' - or should I say 'spoiler' - updates since you produced your instruction. Home 2.9.91.411 updates through 2.9.94.450 to 2.10.2 and eventually (as of the time of writing) to 2.10.2.750.

I've successfully used the 2.9.91.411 installation with the application.ini file altered to show version 2.10.2.750. On first use it wanted to install another file but that went OK and the operate from TTHome function has been restored.

I think this shows that every future spoiler update is going to require some sort of messing to restore the original functionality.

Quite simply that's not satisfactory and I call again for TomTom to do the right thing and restore the operate from TTHome functionality and not cause it to be disabled on each and every future update.
  • RogerJayRogerJay Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    dhn, thanks for your hack, works for me & will do for now. However, I need an up-to-date device so I'm off to Amazon to look at Garmin.
  • nomo money 4Unomo money 4U Posts: 1 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Imagine one has to edit protected .ini files to work around the mean spirited TomTom company that declares your perfectly working GPS device obsolete.

Apple did the same thing with their IPhones slowed them down to make people buy new ones..

I'm not going to buy anything from TomTom ever again and I have been a loyal paying customer for about 10 years.

Qouting dhn "5) Edit application.ini file (you might need admin privileges) and modify "Version=2.9.91.411" to "Version=2.9.94.450" (I had to change the 2.9.91.411 to 10.2.4.150)