Unstable GPS signal and navigation position — TomTom Community

Unstable GPS signal and navigation position

Duck999Duck999 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
When stationary in traffic, the position of the cursor/vehicle jumps around on the Tomtom Mobile. This causes the app to reroute constantly - very irritating! Other apps such as Waze and Google Maps (driving mode) do not have this problem. This means the Tomtom app doesn't intelligently correct/ignore bad GPS signals like other apps do.

This is the only issue that stops me from using Tomtom for my daily commute.

Tomtom Mobile developers should fix this.

Comments

• AsprinAsprin Posts: 231 [Exalted Navigator]
    @Duck999,

It is the compass that causes the problem on your smartphone.

All GPS apps will rotate when sitting and not moving.

There are many reasons for the compass causing the map to spin around while not moving.
    Some smartphones will be effected by the car radio where you place the smartphone on the dashboard.
    Even when a large truck pulls up along side of you.
    Then there is the high building around you that can effect how the app reacts.

But in most cases it is the built in compass in the smartphone that gives you all the problems.

Some smartphone are better than others when it comes to this problem.

There are app out there that claim they can recalculate the compass and lock better on the GPS signal.

But I do not think it is the GPS app fault.
  • Duck999Duck999 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    You right right. My smartphone may could be the problem - which I agree. But how do you explain why Waze and Google Maps doesn't have the same problem?
  • tgoldtgold Posts: 2,062 [Supreme Pioneer]
    Asprin624 wrote:
    It is the compass that causes the problem on your smartphone.
    I doubt the GO Mobile app makes use of any magnetometer (compass) sensor present in the device.
  • tgoldtgold Posts: 2,062 [Supreme Pioneer]
    Duck999 wrote:
    But how do you explain why Waze and Google Maps doesn't have the same problem?
    Those apps do make use of the magnetometer (compass) sensor.
  • IanS100IanS100 Posts: 302 [Supreme Navigator]
    tgold wrote:
    Duck999 wrote:
    But how do you explain why Waze and Google Maps doesn't have the same problem?
    Those apps do make use of the magnetometer (compass) sensor.

So if Waze and Google use the magnetometer why doesn't TomTom (the 'Premier' sat nav app) use it? :8
  • Duck999Duck999 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    If it is the compass that is causing the problem then there should be an option to disable it. I've been using GPS apps for a very long time now and I observe that most calculate the forward direction by differentiating the position over time - not by using the compass! E.g. using your keyboard as the map, if I were at key G then next position is Key H then the map turns to face the right. If H first then G then map takes left as the forward position. Compass is better for users travelling on foot!
  • box2k2box2k2 Posts: 34 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Whats the gps signal strength like in the car? I had similar issues and have invested in gps repeater. Using a gps tester app I've improved my gps reception from all yellow bars to all green and none of the unstable gps issues you're reporting.
  • schneidernetschneidernet Posts: 120 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    When mine gets goofy, I do a Reboot.
  • laugherlaugher Posts: 6 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I've had all sorts of problems with TomTom jumping and/or TomTom unable to find its current GPS location on a Samsung S7 Edge. Replaced phone. No longer an issue although it would be helpful if anyone has a fix for the Samsung issue. I am avoiding the S8 because of the experience the S7 gave me.

Pixel 2XL is my current new phone planned.

Given that people seem to think some phones "misbehave" more than others. Does TomTom "certify" Android phones as part of its quality control process? :)
  • JvdZJvdZ Posts: 50 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    I am navigating with a Samsung S7 EDGE for over a year now and have navigated some 65000 KM without any issues around loosing an GPS fix.
    Only issue I have had twice was that it would loose its current destination, after a stop onroute. Solved that by resetting the TomTom app with the internally available option. After that you login with your account and enable mydrive sync and are back into business.

Jos
  • laugherlaugher Posts: 6 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thanks @JvdZ. I'll try reseting the app one day and see where it takes me.
  • GeocrabbGeocrabb Posts: 8 [Master Explorer]
    I regularly experience this "spinning" problem, which is annoying. I don't think any navigation app uses the compass because it is totally unreliable when surrounded by magnetic metal as it is in a car. If TomTom does use the compass when stationary then this could be a cause. Alternatively it may be the GPS position "wandering" sufficiently to confuse the app. This might be due to poor GPS reception. Once moving the direction will be from the integrated GPS position. TomTom probably has a threshold speed below which the direction is ignored.
  • BjarnevpBjarnevp Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Using huawei p10 lite - android tomtom go navigation version 1.17.1 - newest.
    This error occurs in the last
    Often when traveling in car on motorway app get confused and send me on an exit, even when a short while ago it was straight ahead, a couple of times app has derouted me, quite confused.
    Now all the times when stopping at a traffic light, the GPS marker in the map are wrong, either turned around / turned left or right - most confused.
    TomTom were a great help when changing the phone to huawei p10 lite I 2017 /8-9 - dropping sd-card.
    But this year 2018 quite a lot of problem with GPS position moved.
    Bjarnevp
  • brianh2021brianh2021 Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Do you have Google location history enabled? This is the service that tracks your whereabouts and provides a timeline of places you've visited.

I had exactly the same problem when I started evaluating a smartphone satnav app; the GPS position would be lost regularly and my location would on a neighbouring road or off-road completely. I thought it must be my GPS receiver. I considered buying a separate BT GPS receiver but realised that it couldn't be a hardware issue when Google maps didn't have the same problem.

The problem seems to be that Google the service has a higher priority than other apps and grabs the gps data stream, causing 3rd party apps to constantly lose position.
  • JamesMcInerneyJamesMcInerney Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I've had this problem with Tom Tom Go Mobile ONLY and have experienced it on several phones. Other mobile navigation apps do not present this problem. I wish TT would fix it. Seems to me would would be simple enough to address... It's most aggrevating to say the least and a major negative for what is otherwise a fantastic navigation system.
  • YemblePhoneYemblePhone Posts: 13 [Outstanding Explorer]
    I've had this problem with Tom Tom Go Mobile ONLY and have experienced it on several phones. Other mobile navigation apps do not present this problem. I wish TT would fix it. Seems to me would would be simple enough to address... It's most aggrevating to say the least and a major negative for what is otherwise a fantastic navigation system.
    If you are on Android, then I suggest you try installing the GPS Status & Toolbox app. This sorts out most GPS related issues and it runs automatically in background when any app uses the GPS. The PRO version is very cheap and well worth the money. This is the first app that I always install when setting up any Android device.