Software update for obsolete sat navs. — TomTom Community

Software update for obsolete sat navs.

I have an TomTom Go 720. The battery died years ago but it still works when connected. I quite like it. It has passed through the family for when we are not all going the same way.
I don't appreciate withdrawing support but I can understand and forgive that given that.
I had been thinking about replacing it with another TomTom until the last update. It presented as an essential update but seems to have been a marketing tool rather than a navigation one. Further, it sabotaged what for me was the greatest advantage it had over Garmin - the ability to set up journeys on the computer at home. It seemed to me to be an advert masquerading as a software update with the secondary effect of reducing the functionality of my satnav. Is this to persuade me to change it? TomTom Home wouldn't proceed without installing the update. Given that I had only opened the programme to enter some journeys it was particularly irritating to be robbed of that function.
Presenting an advert as an update and spoiling the device I have does not seem very honest.
I would have liked to send an email asking if this is just a glitch and could it be restored please but it seems impossible to simply email TomTom.
In short the advertising update has put me right off buying another TomTom device unless they come back to me with a restoration of the functions of my old Go 720.

Comments

• dhndhn Posts: 33,312
    Superusers
    Here is a workaround to get back to a version of Home that retains the old functionality:

1) Uninstall TomTom Home
    2) Download last "good" version from http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/application/releases/v2_9_91_411_win.exe
    3) Install it without running ie, uncheck the 'Run Home' tick box when installation completes
    4) Using Windows Explorer, navigate to
    C:\Program Files\TomTom HOME 2\xul (32 bit Windows)
    or
    C:\Program Files (x86)\TomTom HOME 2\xul (64 bit Windows)
    and find application.ini file
    5) Edit application.ini file (you might need admin privileges) and modify "Version=2.9.91.411" to "Version=2.9.94.450"
    6) Run TomTom Home. It will believe to be running latest version 2.9.94.450 and therefore not pull the update.

and see here to change the battery: