Go 750 now unsupported — TomTom Community

Go 750 now unsupported

I have just received an email from TomTom informing me that my GO 750 would no longer be supported retrospectively from 15/11/16 as the memory capacity is too small for the latest maps. I have inserted a memory expansion card in it so this is not actually a problem. I can only conclude that this is their way of trying to force me to upgrade. I like my existing device and may have upgraded in my own time however if I am force to, it will not be to a TomTom.

Comments

• dhndhn Posts: 33,312
    Superusers
    If your device starts with a serial number of W7, then it is not affected. However, if it begins with W88, then it has just 1 gig of internal storage and is being phased out.
  • MayGetaGarminMayGetaGarmin Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Hi Thanks for the reply. The serial number starts with W87 and although it has just 1gb of internal memory, I have an expansion slot with a 32gb card so there is no memory problem. The reason given for discontinuing support is therefore entirely spurious.
    I have also noticed that the 'Lifetime' map updates means:

*Lifetime means the useful life of the device, i.e. the period of time TomTom supports your device with updates, services, content or accessories. A device will have reached the end of its life when none of these are available any more.

In other words just until TomTom decided not to support the device. So the maps will be available until they are not!
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,312
    Superusers
    I meant W8 in my prior post, not W88. Nevertheless, with just 1 gb of internal storage, that model is one of them reaching EOL support unfortunately.
    For anyone who has not understood the point I was making. The 1gb internal memory is not a limitation if the device has (as mine does) an expansion slot. The reason given by TomTom for not continuing to support map upgrades is false.

Anyone considering purchasing a new TomTom with a 'lifetime' map update guarantee should be aware that this only means they will be available until TomTom choose not to make them available anymore by deeming the device to have reached it's end of life even if it is perfectly serviceable.
  • flameboyflameboy Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I also had my tomtom phased out due to space limitations. I bought a new tom tom go 6200 (which is actually rubbish compared to my old tomtom xl iq routes live). I got the uk map which is what I wanted and the size was 3 times smaller than the space on my old tom tom. Pretty annoyed at this. I would still use my old one over the new one as it worked quicker and was easy to add poi's while on the road and it remembered which direction I was facing when I stopped at an address for a drop before continuing on. So to confirm, there was no reason to phase out my old one and it is just to force a new sale.