Memory almost Full

patpalloon
patpalloon Registered Users Posts: 106
Prominent Wayfarer
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
Having problems since the last firmware update for the Spark - 1.7.62
First of all it lost all my playlists - all the music was still there but all jumbled up. My only solution was to delete everything from the watch and reload the playlists - which works fine. Now though the watch is saying 2/5 memory used - even though I have uploaded all work outs from the watch - I have tried connecting using the MySports app and by USB to the PC - it updates fine but still is showing the 2/5 memory used. Any ideas how I can clear this memory. (The music shouldn't affecte the free memory, should it? This is for your workouts and should be cleared every time you update the watch via PC or phone).

Comments

• tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,953
     Superuser
    There is likely bad data on it or the firmware install screwed something up. If you do a factory reset it will clear the activity memory and leave the music drive alone. To do a factory reset, make sure the Connect software is running and dock the watch to your computer. The Connect window will open; press the gear at the top right and select Factory reset from the next screen. Follow the steps provided, giving the watch the same name and using the same email address. When prompted to register or sign in to MySports, select sign in and use your existing account credentials. It is fairly straightforward and should take less than 5 minutes.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • patpalloon
    Prominent Wayfarer
    Thanks, it did work though was a bit of a b***ache as I did have to put all the music back on again as the playlist was once again corrupted. However, it is now showing the memory as empty. Thanks!
  • patpalloon
    Prominent Wayfarer
    This happened again - memory showing up as 2/5 full after transferring data to app. Connceting to PC made no difference. Vert frustrating as only solution is factory reset so lose all the settings on the watch. Also even though it says it doesn't affect your playlists this is in fact false. The music is all scrambled so you have to delete from the watch and add it again. Massive b***ache.
  • WoldsWayWalker
    WoldsWayWalker Registered Users Posts: 21
    Outstanding Explorer
    It's now happened 5 times for me since the update just before Christmas. Absolute pain I would totally agree, having to reset the watch every 10-14 days in my case. In fact I know after this synch it will not have reset as it was already at 2 bars which is never gets to unless there is this problem. I am sure that legally under consumer rights legislation TomTom would have a case to answer, but life is too short to embark on such a journey for me anyway. I live with it, although patience is running thin as it is only just lasting 5hrs of exercise now (the typical length of a hike), from at least 7 when I bought it. A great shame as I have said before as the product which I bought was just what I wanted, and it worked - well for me anyway.

What beats me is that even though TomTom has left the market and are failing to support their products they are still on sale. They could probably do their brand image a lot of good by removing them from sale.
  • tfarabaugh
     Superuser
    It's now happened 5 times for me since the update just before Christmas. Absolute pain I would totally agree, having to reset the watch every 10-14 days in my case. In fact I know after this synch it will not have reset as it was already at 2 bars which is never gets to unless there is this problem. I am sure that legally under consumer rights legislation TomTom would have a case to answer, but life is too short to embark on such a journey for me anyway. I live with it, although patience is running thin as it is only just lasting 5hrs of exercise now (the typical length of a hike), from at least 7 when I bought it. A great shame as I have said before as the product which I bought was just what I wanted, and it worked - well for me anyway.

What beats me is that even though TomTom has left the market and are failing to support their products they are still on sale. They could probably do their brand image a lot of good by removing them from sale.
    Have you tried calling Support and asking them about it. If it is constantly happening it may be a bad unit that needs to be replaced.
  • patpalloon
    Prominent Wayfarer
    Happened to me *again* - showing up as 2/5 full. So I have to do another factory reset. What really hacks me off is that once you do this - the music is all scrambled and you have to go through the very laborious process of deleting the music and adding the playlists all over again :(
  • tfarabaugh
     Superuser
    patpalloon wrote:
    Happened to me *again* - showing up as 2/5 full. So I have to do another factory reset. What really hacks me off is that once you do this - the music is all scrambled and you have to go through the very laborious process of deleting the music and adding the playlists all over again :(
    A factory reset should not impact the music as it is on a separate drive. You really should call Support.
  • patpalloon
    Prominent Wayfarer
    Thanks. OK I did that. I called them and explained the problem. They said what I could try is to do a factory reset, then delete the music and reformat the drive on the watch, then out the music back on. The phone operator then also checked her own TomTom watch and it was showing 2/5 bars full on her memory! She said that the music stored would show up as some memory taken but I don't think this is correct - it's just for the activities.

For now, I think I will leave it as apart from that the watch is working fine and I can record and upload activities either by connecting to the PC or using the app. If the memory fills up further or I start getting some errors then I will reformat it and start again.

She also said I might have a problem because I have used up the entire memory available for music? But as you said - I thought the music was separate from the activities.
  • patpalloon
    Prominent Wayfarer
    That didn't last long. I kept using the watch with the memory showing 2/5 full, then it started to show that the quick GPS wasn't up to date - and updating via the app or PC made no difference. So I had to do another factory reset to fix it which as per usual corrupts the music so had to delete and reload all the playlists. And pair my phone again. And change all the settings back to how I like them like autopause, splits etc. *sigh* I guess I should call support again. She suggested reformatting the drive on the watch, but I am worried this might affect it from working properly?
  • tfarabaugh
     Superuser
    patpalloon wrote:
    That didn't last long. I kept using the watch with the memory showing 2/5 full, then it started to show that the quick GPS wasn't up to date - and updating via the app or PC made no difference. So I had to do another factory reset to fix it which as per usual corrupts the music so had to delete and reload all the playlists. And pair my phone again. And change all the settings back to how I like them like autopause, splits etc. *sigh* I guess I should call support again. She suggested reformatting the drive on the watch, but I am worried this might affect it from working properly?
    I would do what Support told you to as they would theoretically know best.
  • HardaMcNor
    HardaMcNor Registered Users Posts: 1
    Apprentice Traveler
    Been having exactly the same problem on my Runner (Spark) 2. Ever since the start of the year the first two bars of memory keep failing to clear.
    The only way to clear them is a factory reset which is just annoying, mostly because that means you have to go through the pairing exercise with the phone and that is very hit and miss at the best of times.

Note - my watch is the non-music version so filling the storage has nothing to do with music.

Haven't worked out what causes it to fill two bars and then not clear them. I synch after every exercise session so in theory never get to more than 1 bar of storage being used, then suddenly it shows as two and won't clear unless I factory reset.

Watch is 18 months old so I guess out of warranty. Such a shame because it's a great product and does exactly what I want. It's just becoming annoying to use.
  • Koliiikh
    Koliiikh Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Traveler
    The same problem with 2/5 full memory. Factory reset is the (mere) solution, however, annoying to be done a couple of times during a year. I guess this to be likely some FW/SW bug. I suppose it works in this way: the activity is usually transfered to MySports, there is likely some tag added or remarked to the file that activity has been transfered and therefore it can be erased from the watch memory. I suppose for some reasons this does not work correctly, the activity remains signed as non-transfered and therefore it is not erased yet. I do not understand why this issue cannot be investigated and rectified by TomTom SW programmers. Apparently, looking at TomTom forum, it is a common problem, faced by many TomTom watch users.