Is the built in SIM operating on the 2G or the 3G network in Australia.

Comments

• samb375
    samb375 Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Traveler
    Today, 3rd March 2018, I turned on my Australian GO6200 and got the following message:

"No data connection.
    Your device's built-in SIM is no longer supported in this country. You can still connect to TomTom Traffic and other services by connecting your device to a phone that has a data connection."

And two options: "No Thanks" and "Set Up Phone".

I plan to do nothing i.e. select no options.
  • miketorcy
    miketorcy Posts: 3,558
    Superuser
    Hi all! Does it mean that with a 6200 bought in Europe, we can connect it to a phone to have traffic out of Europe, for example in USA?
  • nodisclosure
    nodisclosure Registered Users Posts: 12
    Master Explorer
    As others posted else where on this forum, it is possible to connect your GO6200 to a WiFi hotspot from a suitable phone and have all the services. Via Bluetooth not.

It mostly depends on your phone and what your phone plan/provider allows you to do. Some providers do not allow tethering with a phone when abroad.
  • miketorcy
    miketorcy Posts: 3,558
    Superuser
    Thank you, i will try.
  • samb375
    samb375 Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Traveler
    Any news from TomTom support? This issue needs to be resolved ASAP.
  • bazbrian
    bazbrian Registered Users Posts: 33
    Prominent Wayfarer
    30% discount... I'd say make that at least 50% for longtime paying customers.

Agreed - 30% is not good enough for a replacement without a built in SIM. However if it connect's via Bluetooth ok the data is not a lot per month.

Interestingly it's been 5 months since any post from a TT rep.

My 6100 was not showing any error messages today about the SIM not being supported. 27 more days.
  • bazbrian
    Prominent Wayfarer
    Just been doing some browsing on AU TT site. I can't believe they still have this page.
    https://au.support.tomtom.com/app/content/id/1/locale/en_AU

b3d99f22-8ec1-4774-b45d-dc18536056a3.jpg
  • big
    big Posts: 1,712
    Superuser
    Well, it IS still correct for a few more days. But note the product hasn't been available for purchase from TomTom's Australia site for quite a while now.
  • VikramK
    VikramK Administrators Posts: 13,745
    Hi all

Apparently the 2G closure has been further postponed till 30th April 2018.

I have amended Mikko's comment here.

The same information is now also made available on our website link below:

https://au.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24850

Thanks,
    Vikram :)
  • Zsolt
    Zsolt Posts: 36,014
    Superuser
    Were the 5000/6000 models also available in Australia?
  • VikramK
    VikramK Administrators Posts: 13,745
    Hi Zsolt

I think we released the GO 5100 and GO 6100 there...

Regards
    Vikram
  • fredaroony2
    fredaroony2 Registered Users Posts: 123
    Renowned Trailblazer
    VikramK wrote:
    Hi Zsolt

I think we released the GO 5100 and GO 6100 there...

Regards
    Vikram

I have a 5100 and received no email nor have I seen any update to the device that will allow traffic to continue working after April 30th
  • ImanOldie
    ImanOldie Registered Users Posts: 30
    Apprentice Seeker
    Your device would need Bluetooth to use it anyway I believe.
    I have a 6100 and my understanding is the 6200 has BT whereas mine doesn't so the update is moot.
    BTW I haven't received anything official from TomTom either.
  • fredaroony2
    fredaroony2 Registered Users Posts: 123
    Renowned Trailblazer
    ImanOldie wrote:
    I have a 6100 and my understanding is the 6200 has BT whereas mine doesn't so the update is moot.

Well then Tomtom need to come up with a resolution to this issue
  • ImanOldie
    Apprentice Seeker
    ImanOldie wrote:
    Well then Tomtom need to come up with a resolution to this issue

I live in Tasmania Australia and the traffic reporting has never been very good at the best of times (Google Maps excels in this department) so I'm not particularly worried and i certainly won't use two devices (phone & GPS) to do the job of one.
    If I'm going to need to turn on a phone or tablet I may as well just use Google Maps.

The feature I will miss is My Drive to set up a route to use later when I jump in the car. I believe this feature will need 2G as well.
  • fmflex
    fmflex Registered Users Posts: 8
    Legendary Explorer
    I received an email yesterday from TT which I have attached to this post.

I've just sent an email to TT CS before stumbling on to this thread and reading through it. Basically waiting on an official reply advising on how they plan on resolving this issue as the live traffic updates was a main contributing factor alongside lifetime map updates and included connectivity as to why I bought a top of the range device. My device won't be performing as marketed.

I have a 6100 so unfortunately don't have the option of any other form of connectivity.

I've taken copies of this and other threads relating to this issue. If my device no longer functions as it was marketed then a conversation is going to happen with the ACCC and TT can then buy back my device or offer another device with equivalent features.

I feel pretty disappointed that TT feel they can get past this issue by offering a discount on a new device and expecting people to be out of pocket to shell out for a new device just because they couldn't get their act together in regards to what was going to happen with the 2g network closure. Back in 2016 if I had known about this issue, it probably would have influenced my decision on whether I bought the top of the range device or even another TT device and I was a long time supporter and owner of a TT device.

Any TT mods feel free to contact me if they wish to discuss further, my case # is 180321-003492. Eagerly awaiting a response but not exactly holding my breathe.

9ec7ec7b-1ebd-4adb-8d0b-02effe6f01d6.jpg
  • ImanOldie
    Apprentice Seeker
    Interesting that there is no mention of My Drive functionality.
    I wonder if any reps read this thread and can comment.
    In any case I'm not going to buy another unit even at 50% as it will obviously require something with bluetooth to obtain the traffic data and that is not acceptable to me.
    Ie. Running two devices to get one to function properly.
    Also these devices should have been pulled from retailer's shelves as soon as it was known the 2G network was being decommissioned.
    Very poorly handled IMHO.
  • Mitte
    Mitte Registered Users Posts: 8
    Legendary Explorer
    Interesting..
    I have bought my device direct from Tom Tom and have not received an email..

Anyway, I will wait till the 2G network is disconnected till I decide on any action.
    I will certainly be telling everyone of my Tom Tom experience and my thoughts about their contempt towards their customers if this is not sorted in a way I find acceptable.

When I bought my device, the key point for buying was the claim of " No Data charges Ever, for the life of the unit "
    This will be my main point in any action I may take.

It has been said that I can connect via BT..
    My view is I should not need to buy a new phone just so I can connect with a compatible BT device. That was not part of the sale conditions.

Anyway, Enough said for now.
  • bazbrian
    Prominent Wayfarer
    ImanOldie wrote:

The specs on the GO620 page indicates My Drive will still work.
    https://www.tomtom.com/en_au/drive/car/products/go-620/

TomTom MyDrive
    Plan routes, check live traffic and save favourites – anytime, anywhere – from your smartphone, tablet or PC. Your TomTom GO will pick up any destinations or favourites set on MyDrive as soon as it powers on in the car and connects to your smartphone
  • fmflex
    fmflex Registered Users Posts: 8
    Legendary Explorer
    I got a reply back from TT CS this morning where they essentially tried to just pass the buck and blame it entirely on Vodaphone shutting down the 2G network and didn't offer anything more than that. He has confirmed that setting up trips and destinations by the mydrive phone app will still function as normal.

After speaking to the ACCC on where I stand with my rights, decided to give TT CS a call. The consultant who answered also tried sprouting the same line about how it wasn't their fault, yada yada and trying to pass the buck. When pressed on why they marketed it as lifetime live traffic updates and states as such on the box, he suggested I take up their generous offer to buy a new device. When told that wasn't going to be an acceptable solution to address their shortsightedness, he has now advised that after 30th April, all 6100 devices will receive an update to allow pairing to a smart phone.
  • bazbrian
    Prominent Wayfarer
    fmflex wrote:
    When told that wasn't going to be an acceptable solution to address their shortsightedness, he has now advised that after 30th April, all 6100 devices will receive an update to allow pairing to a smart phone.

Why don't they just do the update now. Why wait until the last minute!
  • ImanOldie
    Apprentice Seeker
    bazbrian wrote:
    ImanOldie wrote:

TomTom MyDrive
    Plan routes, check live traffic and save favourites – anytime, anywhere – from your smartphone, tablet or PC. Your TomTom GO will pick up any destinations or favourites set on MyDrive as soon as it powers on in the car and connects to your smartphone

You are missing the point.
    Currently we don't need a phone, it is all done via the inbuilt sim.
    Secondly to use a phone you need a bluetooth connection. Many of us use a 6100 which doesn't have bluetooth.
  • ImanOldie
    Apprentice Seeker
    fmflex wrote:
    ....., he has now advised that after 30th April, all 6100 devices will receive an update to allow pairing to a smart phone.

I wonder how this pairing will occur when the 6100 doesn't have bluetooth?
  • ImanOldie
    Apprentice Seeker
    bazbrian wrote:
    fmflex wrote:
    When told that wasn't going to be an acceptable solution to address their shortsightedness, he has now advised that after 30th April, all 6100 devices will receive an update to allow pairing to a smart phone.
    Why don't they just do the update now. Why wait until the last minute!

I received an update some time ago and if memory serves it was because of the 2G issue.
    I haven't tested it of course because my 6100 doesn't have bluetooth and I don't have a suitable data plan to use it if I did.
  • bazbrian
    Prominent Wayfarer
    ImanOldie wrote:
    bazbrian wrote:
    ImanOldie wrote:

TomTom MyDrive
    You are missing the point.
    Currently we don't need a phone, it is all done via the inbuilt sim.
    Secondly to use a phone you need a bluetooth connection. Many of us use a 6100 which doesn't have bluetooth.

Not missing the point. Perhaps I should have been clearer. I put the specs of the GO620 there to illustrate that IF people were to take the 50% offer then TomTom MyDrive will work - Via bluetooth.

Yes, currently we don't need a phone. Stamp your feet, jump up and down, go to ACCC or demand a 100% refund of your purchase price. The bottom line is you might get your original money back then use it to get another brand of GPS. You still won't have a GPS with inbuilt SIM.

Nothing we do will stop the 2G network from shutting down. I've had almost three years good use of my GO6100. 50% off a new GO620 rrp $349 might be an option for me.

Me, I'm going to wait for the claimed update mentioned by fmflex to see how it will pair to a smartphone. Might be seamless, might not. Then I have until Dec 2018 to make a decision.