Wrong number of calories burnt

PatientX
PatientX Registered Users Posts: 16
Legendary Explorer
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
hi,
yesterday I played indoor football match for 90 minutes.
A week ago, my friend borrowed me TT runner (I don`t know which model exactly) for the same football match and he set me Treadmill mode.
My final statistics told me, that I have run 6.89 km and I have burnt 396 calories, which seems very little during almost constant 90 minutes run (with the lot of hard runs).
Yesterday I tried to set run mode on my spark 3 cardio watches and played whole 90 minutes without substitution.
My watches counted me 4.02 km overall distance and 357 calories burnt.
I still play same way, so it is not possible that I have run almost 3 km less then week ago.
Few questions :
1.How it is possible that the difference in final distance run is so significant ? It is caused by the fact, that I have used 2 different modes for measurement ? If yes, why and which one is more accurate ?
2.What do you think about number of calories burnt during both matches ? Isn`t the number too low ?
I have checked few internet calories burnt calculators and I see around 900 calories burnt during this activity for my age, weight and height.
Besides, when I woke up at the morning, I can see that I have burnt 600 calories during night. I don`t think it is realistic - 357 calories burnt during 90 minutes dynamic football match and 600 calories burnt during sleep.
3.Can you please tell me, where exactly on mysports web page can I check number of steps made during this match ? Is it even possible to find out ?
Thanks in advance!

Comments

• tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,949
     Superuser
    You have several issues here. First off, the mode selected will impact how distance is calculated. Treadmill uses steps times an assumed stride rate (which is probably not accurate for football as you are constantly stopping and starting) and run mode uses GPS (which is also not accurate as you are constantly switching directions and overlapping). Calories burned in both modes is based on METs, not HR, which are standard measures of calories based on pace, so the longer distance assumes a faster pace and higher calories. However, in both cases you are not covering a lot of distance in 90 minutes so it assumes your pace is slow and the calories are accordingly low. You want to use Freestyle or gym mode, which bases calories on your HR, which will give you a better result. Freestyle also uses GPS so you will get a distance measure (which will be a bit inaccurate for the reasons already mentioned.

If you were alive and breathing, digesting, etc. then you were burning calories and that is what a 24/7 activity tracker is supposed to be tracking. It computes a BMR based on your gender, height, weight, etc. and takes this along with steps and sports activities to come up with calories burned. So between midnight and whenever you woke up you burned 600 calories just being alive. This is exactly what it and all other activity trackers are designed to do. In my experience it is generally pretty accurate (or as accurate as BMR based calculations can be as they are based on averages).

You cannot get steps for a specific sports activity. if you go to the progress tab you can see calories by hour and estimate based on when you were playing but it does not track steps separately for an activity.

Finally, you really cannot loan your watch to someone else and expect similar results, It is programmed for your height, weight, gender, etc., so unless you change all those it will not match. And even if you do, everyone has a different cardiac capacity and burns calories at a different rate so you cannot compare two people like that.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • PatientX
    PatientX Registered Users Posts: 16
    Legendary Explorer
    thanks again for your comprehensive explanation !
    According your reply, I will try gym mode next week on football match and will let know the results ;)
  • tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,949
     Superuser
    PatientX wrote:
    thanks again for your comprehensive explanation !
    According your reply, I will try gym mode next week on football match and will let know the results ;)
    Glad I could help. When you get a chance please mark my response as a solution so others with the same question can look for it.