TomTom annoyances - a bit of perspective — TomTom Community

TomTom annoyances - a bit of perspective

dmulvdmulv Posts: 620 Superuser
edited January 11 in Travel lounge
I know TomTom get a lot of grief for missing features here and bugs there, but during these past few days it's been my absolute saviour.

Driving in snowy icy conditions is stressful enough as it is, without the additional stress of negotiating around horrific traffic snarl-ups and second-guessing the likely knock-on effects in the surrounding area. My 5200 didn't miss a beat though, taking it all in its stride and navigating me through some weird and wonderful routes... the only brush with a traffic jam being when I breezed through it at a crossroads (introducing a healthy dose of schadenfreude at the sheer size of it).

Yes the devices could brush up on places management, and yes the ALG bug is annoying. But I think it's easy to lose sight of the fact that as a device to get you from one place to another, in the quickest time with minimal traffic or fuss, it's still pretty impressive - and arguably the best in terms of routing.

I know I'd take this over a competitor's ability to change the pointer icon any day.

Comments

• miketorcymiketorcy Posts: 3,112 Superusers
    dmulv wrote:
    ....., and yes the ALG bug is annoying. ...

I think have not this bug, what is it?
    GO6200
  • bruceybrucey Posts: 165 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    Absolutely I would agree dmulv that TomTom traffic is the best out there compared to their competitors and saves me hours every week, but just imagine how much better the devices would be if they implemented user defined POI (BMP) and fixed the ALG issue for once and all....neither of which shouldn't be particularly difficult to implement.

The mods on here have a difficult job no doubt at all, but TomTom don't help themselves by adopting a wall of silence.

If for example, they have no intention of implementing further POI improvements on current devices then I personally would prefer to know and I can make an informed choice.

Whatever happens with Nav 4/5 devices then I hope that TomTom management and devlopment now realise that POI and their management is very important to those that drive for a living.
  • dmulvdmulv Posts: 620 Superuser
    miketorcy wrote:
    dmulv wrote:
    ....., and yes the ALG bug is annoying. ...
    I think have not this bug, what is it?
    Advanced Lane Guidance - after a while it stops appearing for junctions it previously appeared for (until the device is rebooted). It's discussed in this post.
  • dmulvdmulv Posts: 620 Superuser
    brucey wrote:
    Absolutely I would agree dmulv that TomTom traffic is the best out there compared to their competitors and saves me hours every week, but just imagine how much better the devices would be if they implemented user defined POI (BMP) and fixed the ALG issue for once and all....neither of which shouldn't be particularly difficult to implement.

The mods on here have a difficult job no doubt at all, but TomTom don't help themselves by adopting a wall of silence.

If for example, they have no intention of implementing further POI improvements on current devices then I personally would prefer to know and I can make an informed choice.

Whatever happens with Nav 4/5 devices then I hope that TomTom management and devlopment now realise that POI and their management is very important to those that drive for a living.
    Oh don't get me wrong... I wholeheartedly agree that Tomtom should continue to improve what's currently on offer - especially for users of the Pro range - and fix the bugs. All I'm saying is these bugs (I've ALG in mind here) usually are more of an annoyance, but don't take away the core ability of the device to efficiently get you from A to B.

Personally speaking for me, in terms of importance:
    1f135e14-42e9-46c3-be7f-8120c11c1e84.jpg
    Pink = Routing capability
    Orange = Bugs affecting core application/device (e.g. recent power/sleep bug)
    Blue = New features or non-core bugs (e.g. ALG)