Is the built in SIM operating on the 2G or the 3G network in Australia.

Comments

• Zsolt
    Zsolt Posts: 36,014
    Superuser
    There are also the T&Cs that are accepted with the purchase. Just saying :)
  • Mitte
    Mitte Registered Users Posts: 8
    Legendary Explorer
    Thank You for the replies. :)
    I have only asked for advice and definitions . Consumer rights do differ in different jurisdictions. I acknowledge that.
    At this time, my GPS is working and no action is planned as long as the device continues to operate as described and advertised.
    Zsolt wrote:
    There are also the T&Cs that are accepted with the purchase. Just saying :)

As for the T's and C's, they must comply with Australian Consumer laws and I am pretty sure I would have a case regardless of the T's and C's if the device no longer operates as promoted and marketed in Australia. Australian Consumer Law over-rides company T's and C's when the product has been proven to have been advertised in a misleading manner.
    I have read the replies by MikkoK and I know and acknowledge that he is trying to be helpful, but that still does not excuse the secrecy by TomTom ( The Company ) .
    big wrote:
    Mitte, since everything is still working you do not yet have any damages to show. Once the devices stop working and we hear the details of whatever fixes TomTom provides then perhaps the issue should be revisited.

big, you are entirely correct and I agree. That is what we need to wait for. I am just finding out my options to prepare for a worst case scenario which I hope TomTom will rectify without any inconvenience to you, me and every one else who have bought our products in good faith.
  • Niall
    Niall Posts: 11,114
    Superuser
    @Mitte

Did you get any reply from ACCC?
    What were their definitions?
  • looke81
    looke81 Registered Users Posts: 3
    Neophyte Traveler
    big wrote:
    bazbrian wrote:
    Apparently for the 5100/6100/5200/6200 world GPS models Traffic only works in the Region of Purchase.
    This is true with ALL current TomTom models, even those connecting only via Bluetooth.

this is NOT TRUE, mine UK 5200 was receiving traffic via bluetooth in USA without any issues, so yes you will get all info via bluetooth
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,795
    Superuser
    Hi
    Here in the UK, If needed I can set up a Wifi Hotspot on my Phone
    My NAV5(Wifi) GO 520 and GO 620 will receive Live Traffic over the Wifi Hotspot

ATB YFM
  • big
    big Posts: 1,712
    Superuser
    @looke81This has been discussed and complained about many many times here. I assure you, traffic is only available in the region of purchase, bluetooth or not. Perhaps you lucked out and TomTom misclassified your unit -- if so, best to just not advertise it! Or perhaps you were using a TMC receiver? Or the mobile app? But a true 5200 will NOT work, even via smartphone.

Here are some threads for further reference:
    https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/tomtom-traffic-live-and-other-services-47/tomtom-traffic-availablity-1001422

https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/go-wi-fi-6200-5200-620-520-52-professional-via-53-482/tomtom-go-620-clarification-about-world-map-and-traffic-via-smartphone-1010683

https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/go-5xxx-6xxx-series-go-4xx-6xx-series-go-via-and-start-4x-6x-series-mydrive-connect-176/go5100-false-advertising-1000917

https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/go-wi-fi-6200-5200-620-520-52-professional-via-53-482/tom-tom-go-5200-or-go-520-1024598
  • looke81
    Neophyte Traveler
    @big
    Thanks for reminder, I know discussion around this topic, and you can imagine how I was positevely surprised, so to clarify, in Europe traffic updates thru built in sim card, in USA simcard wont connect to any gsm network, however once i connected my 5200 via bluetooth with the iphone, traffic info started to pop up. Maybe tomtom mistake, maybe they dont care about traffic regionalisation when it is not related to simcard connectivity and their roaming deals, whats the point about world maps limiting traffic. Last but not least , was there anyone else actually testing it or we base on what someone read somewhwere.

Regards,
  • big
    Superuser
    @looke81Thanks for elaborating. Yes, bluetooth connections definitely suffer from the same regional-traffic only policy. As mentioned in one of the threads I referenced, the policy exists due to licensing restrictions, not the technical inability to work. People have tried and failed, posted here about it and told by TomTom it will not work.

The product description on TomTom's own Ireland website lists the following countries where traffic is available:

Detailed Traffic Coverage
    Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, San Marino. Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, United Kingdom, the Vatican City
  • looke81
    Neophyte Traveler
    Thinking about this story, as it was early this year, my tomtom could be actually connected via wifi not a bluetooth not sure, anyway internet connection was shared from phone. Seems like i had it working by accident. Next time i will make a picture :)
    btw not sure how it is connected with licensing if using iphone app there are no restrictions, i would think source of traffic info will be the same.
  • chrisworld_un12
    chrisworld_un12 Registered Users Posts: 65
    Prominent Wayfarer
    SO I NOTE FROM THE TT MODERATORS FIRST POST TO THIS TOPIC THAT ALL AFFECTED CUSTOMERS WOULD RECEIVE AN EMAIL IN DUE COURSE OUTLINING THE NEXT STEPS.

... SO WHERE IS THIS EMAIL??? WE HAVE APPROX 6 WEEKS LEFT TO RUN.

TICK TOCK ...
  • dhn
    dhn Posts: 33,382
    Superuser
    See if Oz support can assist:

:flag_au: Australia
    1300 135 604
    Monday-Friday:9:00 am to 5:30 pm AEST
  • chrisworld_un12
    chrisworld_un12 Registered Users Posts: 65
    Prominent Wayfarer
    Hi dhn,

Oz support said... (QUOTE - with redacted identifiers)

"As discussed, you wanted to know what is happening post 2G SIM stops working on your Go 6100 / Go 6200 Wi-Fi devices.

As informed, this is still under discussion in our team and the customers having such devices will be notified via emails before 31 March 2018.

Be rest assured that as a valuable TomTom Customer , we will try our best to come up with most feasible solution for you."

BTW the above are not my grammatical errors either. It is a direct cut and paste.

So as you can see, they are STILL trying to come to some sort of resolution. This is simply startling considering they have known about this shutdown for years!

TICK TOCK
  • Billy Bones Oz
    Billy Bones Oz Registered Users Posts: 3
    Apprentice Seeker
    recently released version 17.301 appears to have addressed the 6200 by allowing a Bluetooth connection for Traffic but there has been no update for my 6100.

My retailer passed on to me what he was told by TomTom

"We have had further word from TomTom who have confirmed that the 2G network support for your Go 6100 unit will continue until the end of March 2018. They will be working with their network provider to ensure that their customers are looked after appropriately during this transition away from the 2G network. We still haven’t been given any exact wording or plan on what shape this will take, and have been told that we won’t receive any updates until much closer to this date."

That was after earlier TomTom telling them it would be fixed with a bluetooth update - I had to tell them both the 6100 is not Bluetooth capable.

Bill
  • Spectrix
    Spectrix Registered Users Posts: 6
    Apprentice Seeker
    I had traffic services working up until late last night (29th February).
    This message appeared on my Go 6200 this morning around 1:30am (1st March) as I was driving home.

"Your device's built-in SIM is no longer supported in this country. You can still connect to TomTom Traffic and other services by connecting your device to a phone that has a data connection."

For the record, there has been no email or any sort of explanation from TomTom at this point. I am appalled at their conduct.

afe86c7f-e39c-4671-957f-5e98fbe99456.jpg
  • Zsolt
    Zsolt Posts: 36,014
    Superuser
    This year February consists of 28 days in total :)
  • Niall
    Niall Posts: 11,114
    Superuser
    Interestingly I also had the "No data Connection" message on my European GO 5200 that I am using while on holiday in Queensland, and I will not be pairing it with my mobile phone :( So we will see what 'Traffic' info I get
  • Vlad123
    Vlad123 Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Traveler
    I bought my TomTom GO 5200 in January 2017. Yesterday it was working fine. Today (1 March 2018) I turned it on and got a surprise. It shows the following message.

"No data connection.
    Your device's built-in SIM is no longer supported in this country. You can still connect to TomTom Traffic and other services by connecting your device to a phone that has a data connection."

And two options: "No Thanks" and "Set Up Phone".

I looked up this message and found this thread.

Apparently, TomTom knew very well that SIM would stop working. Their software running on the device is well aware of what is going on, it doesn't crash or malfunction, it expects such situation and shows this message.

The advertised "Lifetime TomTom Traffic" lasted for 13 months. Extremely disappointed. Registered on this forum specifically to write this post. Would gladly participate in a class action.

Would be happy to see a law passed that would mandate manufacturers to write next to the "Lifetime" claim a note similar to the following: "We reserve the right to stop providing this Lifetime service at any time without any notice". Such note must be printed with the font at least as large as the main "Lifetime" word in the "Lifetime TomTom Traffic" phrase. Such a note must be printed in the close vicinity of the main "Lifetime" word; not a footnote buried at the back of the user manual or their web-site, but on the same side of the retail box where the "Lifetime TomTom Traffic" phrase is printed.

Very, very disappointed overall.

I wonder if it would be possible to replace the built-in SIM with my own SIM card...

Needless to say that TomTom didn't contact me contrary to what
    @MikkoK said at the start of this thread, even though they have my e-mail (I had to provide it to activate the Maps and Traffic Services on the device). This is in Melbourne.

63306995-4641-4670-ae55-09498cac1f47.jpg
  • big
    Superuser
    @Vlad123 You can't put in your own SIM. As you probably saw from the this thread, the problem is that Australia will discontinue 2G cellular services at the end of March and 2G is what TomTom uses internally. Apparently it needs more than just a new SIM for it to work on 3G.

Many countries have discontinued 2G service, but many other countries have no imminent plans to do so.

TomTom stopped selling the 5200 in Australia some time ago -- you must have gotten one of the last ones.

Yes, probably TomTom should have known this was coming for some time. I have no idea how they plan such things. Wish they'd just go to 3G or something and make a universal model which works everywhere.

And why you're getting a message with a month to go, I don't know. If you click on "No Thanks" does traffic still work for March?

[Post edited to correct termination date.]
  • turbojet
    turbojet Registered Users Posts: 15
    Outstanding Explorer
    I have a GO 5100 sim only no WIFI in these and on the 1-3-2018 in the menu states this

Network Status Connected
    Traffic Activated
    Speed Camera updates Activated
    My Drive Activated

All the above are working on mine
  • big
    Superuser
    Yes, sorry. The 2G network is disappearing at the END of March, not March 1st. I will correct my post.
  • Rippedoff.au
    Rippedoff.au Registered Users Posts: 3
    Neophyte Traveler
    I had a older device with failing live traffic. Eventually they replace it with a upgraded unit saying the reason is the old device had a 2g card.

The replacement device started displaying the same error today and they callcenter wont replace it "its in the hands of sales and marketing"

Life time traffic and maps....I'll keep fighting with the callcentre/ hit up the accc if needed, cant see myself buying another tomtom.

Edit:

references 180301-002328 & 171215-0100119 170801-003211 & 170801-003211 & 161125-002056 & 151218-001143
  • nodisclosure
    nodisclosure Registered Users Posts: 12
    Master Explorer
    Ah... this issue seems to have a global effect. Yesterday (28 feb) here in the Netherlands almost all day no connection to TT services on my GO 740 via its internal (Vodafone) SIM. Also tried using BT data connection via a company phone, which is an enhanced 2G type phone also on the Vodafone network. Same problem. But when I used a phone on a different network, connection.

At about 16.30 hours local time the network issue suddenly was resolved.
  • Vlad123
    Vlad123 Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Traveler
    @big I did click on "No Thanks", since I don't have a suitable phone. Today (2 March 2018) that message didn't appear and TomTom showed Traffic while I drove to work. So, it must have been some intermittent issue.

At least now, thanks to this thread, I'm aware of the broader issue. I still have 30 days to find an alternative, which would not have the word TomTom written on it.
  • Rippedoff.au
    Rippedoff.au Registered Users Posts: 3
    Neophyte Traveler
    No doubt the pr boys will be super proud to announce their response to all this.
    "30% discount on a upgrade" or similar.
  • nodisclosure
    nodisclosure Registered Users Posts: 12
    Master Explorer
    30% discount... I'd say make that at least 50% for longtime paying customers.