Spark 3 Bluetooth Android syncing Issues — TomTom Community

Spark 3 Bluetooth Android syncing Issues

SarahW907SarahW907 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
I started using my TomTom Spark 3 in January 2017, and until recently it has been syncing with my phone (Samsung Galaxy S5, Android version 4.4.2). The first time it quit syncing I: unpaired the device from my phone's bluetooth settings, updated the TomTom Sports app, and plugged my watch into my computer so that it could update as well. That fixed the problem, however a week later it stopped syncing with my phone, again. Today I repeated the steps I did above, also did a factory reset on my watch, and uninstalled and reinstalled the app on my phone. My phone/the app is able to find the watch on bluetooth, but the "Connecting Device" loading screen continues endlessly (eventually the watch stops trying to sync and returns to the previous screen).

Syncing my watch on my computer works fine (using the USB cord), but if I wanted to plug my watch in every time I wanted to see my stats, I wouldn't have bought this watch :(

How do I wirelessly reunite my phone and watch!?

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,776
    Superusers
    You first need to remove the watch from the phone's BT menu (in iOS you have it forget the device) after you reset or try pairing again. The steps are: factory reset the watch (which you did), uninstall the app (you can probably skip this as you just installed it), remove or forget the watch from the phone's BT menu, reinstall the app (only if you uninstalled the app), select Pair New on the app, select Pair New on watch (press down from the clock and select Phone>Pair New, not Sync) and follow the prompts on the phone. You should not be pairing the watch first through the phone's BT menu; it is all done through the app and you must have the phone forget the watch in the BT menu before re-pairing.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • SarahW907SarahW907 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi tfarabaugh, I guess I didn't explain what I did very well. I had done as you detailed in your comment, and I have been trying to pair my watch and the phone using the "Pair New" watch feature through the TomTom app. The "CONNECTING Please wait. We are connecting your device" screen within the TomTom app is where I get stuck. At the moment my app is still trying to connect, while my watch has already given up and returned to the clock screen.
    Superusers
    I would start over again and do all the steps, as the order matters. And make sure you forget the watch in your BT settings on the phone (not in the app but in the phone's BT settings).

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • SarahW907SarahW907 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    It worked - thank you! So weird that order matters that much :P
  • taylorjtaylorj Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I am having the same issue as SarahW907 and have repeatedly tried to reset, reinstall, forget from device, etc. and I still can not pair to my tomtom app. However, it is still sending my runs to strava and other apps????
  • ohlittoohlitto Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Honestly, I've had this watch for about a year now, have recorded 121 activities, and the sync has always been an issue.

I have tried everything, unpaired and repaired many times, start one versus the other first, do this, do that, etc. In the end, it's clear: it's completely erratic, and there is absolutely NO pattern that could indicate where the issue lies.

Sometimes, the app just can't find the watch.
    Other times, the watch says it's not connected, but the app is sync'ing.
    Or the says it's connected, but the app can't see it.
    Some times, it says "Syncing activities" and it takes a full 20 minutes before it's done, maybe after a few "restarts" where it seems that it's trying again.
    On rare occasions, it's fairly quick.
    Sometimes, like now, it's QuickGPS that takes ages
    Sometimes, it tells me that it's up to date, but the activity I just completed doesn't show up. It's on the watch, but it doesn't transfer to the phone. After a few retries, it works.

I started an update when I started writing this.
    Quick GPS is still updating...
    Ohhh, and now it just told me that it could not upload my activities. And it then restarts with the QuickGPS thing ... up to 25% ... now switches back to updating activities ... no, back to QuickGPS ... one minute later 52% ... then after a while tell me it's up to date, but immediately tells me it was unable to sync, and goes again to QuickGPS ... 21% ... 23% ....25% ... seems stuck there ... Syncing activities 50% ... Back to QuickGPS ... 52% again ...
    ...for a while ... 65% now ... exciting ... 70% .... 72% ... And .... OHHHHH finally... up to date!

The whole thing took ... a while. Much longer than it should.

From this and many other threads, I think you can see that the sync thing is severely erratic. It syncs fine when connected via cable to the computer, but not to my phone running Android. Because it's an old phone, I figure things will get better once I replace it. But from reading the threads, I'm not sure.

Too bad, it's a fine watch with many features that I enjoy.
  • lampardlampard Posts: 5,519 Moderator
    Hi ohlitto,

Welcome to the Community!

Sorry to hear about your experience with the Sports App, I've now put you on the firmware version 1.7.64 which resolves the pairing/ syncing issues with the watch.

Please connect your watch to the computer and Sports Connect will offer the software update. Once you update the watch with 1.7.64 version, please make sure to remove it from the Bluetooth devices on your Huawei smartphone before pairing. Let us know the outcome!

Cheers,
    lampard
    lampard wrote:
    Sorry to hear about your experience with the Sports App, I've now put you on the firmware version 1.7.64 which resolves the pairing/ syncing issues with the watch.

Please connect your watch to the computer and Sports Connect will offer the software update. Once you update the watch with 1.7.64 version, please make sure to remove it from the Bluetooth devices on your Huawei smartphone before pairing. Let us know the outcome!

Hi lampard,
    Thank you for writing. Sadly, the 1.7.64 update was not made available when I connected my watch yesterday and today.
    So, still the same weird issues. I performed 3 activities yesterday. It synchronized (painfully) the first two (they were just test and failed outing entries), but would not sync the last one (the only one that mattered). I just connected via cable, and that one went through immediately.
    It makes no sense, sorry. I can blame other issues potentially on my (aging) hardware, but not this.
    Happy to test 1.7.64 if I can.
    Hi ohlitto,

Sorry about that! Please connect your watch to the computer and Sports Connect software will offer the 1.7.64 firmware update.

Cheers, lampard
    Hi lampard,

Thank you for this, my watch indeed updated itself to 1.7.64

I'm happy to report that the sync was faster today.

However, I still had problems synchronizing the activity I had just completed (it kept reporting "up to date" but not showing my last activity). So I cleared all data in the app and restarted, and it then synched. I'll track to see how things go in the next few days.

Thanks
  • KanjiKanji Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi.

I have the same issue and I have the 1.7.62 version, but no update is offered to my watch when I plug it in.

Any thoughts?

Thank you
    Superusers
    Kanji wrote:
    Hi.

I have the same issue and I have the 1.7.62 version, but no update is offered to my watch when I plug it in.

Any thoughts?

Thank you
    They have not started pushing 1.7.64 to the general public yet, it is still in beta. They are adding people upon request so you can ask to be added to it. Once they have enough of a rollout with no new problems they will set it for wide release.
  • KanjiKanji Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thanks tfarabaugh,

I just returned the watch as I guess it was faulty as it did the same with 3 different phones.

Will try with a new one, and if it still doesn't work, I'll just move on to another brand, which is a shame.

Thanks again. Will post latter it actually worked.
    Superusers
    Kanji wrote:
    Thanks tfarabaugh,

I just returned the watch as I guess it was faulty as it did the same with 3 different phones.

Will try with a new one, and if it still doesn't work, I'll just move on to another brand, which is a shame.

Thanks again. Will post latter it actually worked.
    You may have the right idea with moving on to another brand. I would take care with your buying decision considering TT has left the wearables market and is not producing any new devices (and never even released the Adventurer in the US), I would assume at this point any updates will be limited to bug fixes. I would not expect much more development so what you get in the box will likely be all there is. There are also major connectivity and battery drain issues that have not been resolved in over five months.
    Hi Kanji,

Welcome to the Community!

I've now linked your account to the firmware version 1.7.64, please connect your watch to the computer and Sports Connect will offer the software. The 1.7.64 version resolves the pairing the issues with the watch and your smartphone.

Once you update the watch with this version, please make sure to remove it from the Bluetooth devices on your Huawei smartphone before pairing. Let us know the outcome!

Cheers, lampard
  • dimitarsh1dimitarsh1 Posts: 5 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Hello,

I have the same problem - i received my spark 3 cardio + music yesterday.

I setup the software on my pc, installed the app, everything basically that was mentioned in the guidelines. Then the watch was connected.

Today in the morning I tried to sync with my phone (Huawei P8, Android 6.0) - no success, unistalled and then installed the app - then I couldn't even have the watch paired. I paired the watch to another device - no problem. But i need to have it connected to my phone. So, did a factory reset and tried to pair... no success.

To be honest, I don't think it is a problem of the watch, rather than of the app because when the app finds the watch the watch pops up a code, but the app doesn't.

Will 1.7.64 solve that issue? I don't know.

But it is extremely frustrating given that I didn't use the watch even 24 hours...

Any suggestions
    Thanks,
    Dimitar.
  • dimitarsh1dimitarsh1 Posts: 5 [Neophyte Traveler]
    dimitarsh1 wrote:
    Hello,

I have the same problem - i received my spark 3 cardio + music yesterday.

I setup the software on my pc, installed the app, everything basically that was mentioned in the guidelines. Then the watch was connected.

Today in the morning I tried to sync with my phone (Huawei P8, Android 6.0) - no success, unistalled and then installed the app - then I couldn't even have the watch paired. I paired the watch to another device - no problem. But i need to have it connected to my phone. So, did a factory reset and tried to pair... no success.

To be honest, I don't think it is a problem of the watch, rather than of the app because when the app finds the watch the watch pops up a code, but the app doesn't.

Will 1.7.64 solve that issue? I don't know.

But it is extremely frustrating given that I didn't use the watch even 24 hours...

Any suggestions
    Thanks,
    Dimitar.
    So, the thing that worked is to connect headphones and then connect to the app. For some reason that works. That was mentioned in another post I read (cannot remember which of all).

Hope this works for other people as well. And also I hope that the issue will be fixed in a next update of the firmware - it is not convenient to every time have your headphones with you so that you can sync.

Cheers,
    Dimitar
    Here is a bit more info:
    • I just changed my phone for a new, shiny, modern device (but also running Android 7.1.1)
    • Pairing the watch with this new phone did NOT work. It would give me the code on the watch, but the app would keep spinning on the phone and never provide an opportunity to enter it. I am very familiar with the pairing procedure, because I have done it dozens of times with my old phone. In the end, I did a factory reset.
    • After the factory reset, I noticed that the icon that shows up after "pair new" was different? I was surprised. Did it come with 1.7.64? So I suppose the upgrade alone did not do everything, a factory reset was also necessary
    • After factory reset, I was able to pair the watch with the new phone
    • Synchronizing activities behaved in a similar way as on the old phone: it would not "see" the last activity
    • Finally, I switched the sync setting back to "sync", instead of "manual", and it seems to work correctly now, based on my last activity upload
    Hope this helps someone
  • BethanyptBethanypt Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    My spark 3 wont stay connected wih my phone for more than 5 seconds, despite doing all the updates & pairing listed above. I have an android gallaxy s5.
  • pjgollspjgolls Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    Bethanypt wrote:
    My spark 3 wont stay connected wih my phone for more than 5 seconds, despite doing all the updates & pairing listed above. I have an android gallaxy s5.
    Hey Benthanypt,
    I have a Galaxy S5 too and can't get my Spark 3 to pair at all. I've tried everything. The Tomtom app says there are problems with pairing to this model phone, but you have obviously managed pair, even if the connection is brief.
    Is your watch running 1.7.62 or 1.7.64 software?

Cheers, Pete
  • AnnabelleKAnnabelleK Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    SarahW907 wrote:
    I started using my TomTom Spark 3 in January 2017, and until recently it has been syncing with my phone (Samsung Galaxy S5, Android version 4.4.2). The first time it quit syncing I: unpaired the device from my phone's bluetooth settings, updated the TomTom Sports app, and plugged my watch into my computer so that it could update as well. That fixed the problem, however a week later it stopped syncing with my phone, again. Today I repeated the steps I did above, also did a factory reset on my watch, and uninstalled and reinstalled the app on my phone. My phone/the app is able to find the watch on bluetooth, but the "Connecting Device" loading screen continues endlessly (eventually the watch stops trying to sync and returns to the previous screen).

Syncing my watch on my computer works fine (using the USB cord), but if I wanted to plug my watch in every time I wanted to see my stats, I wouldn't have bought this watch :(

How do I wirelessly reunite my phone and watch!?
  • AnnabelleKAnnabelleK Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I have exactly the same problem!
    At first the connection was fine, now o can only sync when the spark 3 is connected to the computer. I have selected forget device, disconnected BT on the phone Samsung j5, but it won't pair again... please help.
  • mozzawozzamozzawozza Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I am having the same issue too!. So annoying. Sync issues from the day I had it. Issue was resolved once by doing a roll back, but it always slow or freezing. I decided to to unpair my spark 3 from phone app my phone is Samsung s5 but now it will not connect to app or find my watch. Wish I had stuck with my fit bit. ;(