Route selection [drag&drop] not fully customizable — TomTom Community

Route selection [drag&drop] not fully customizable

Jan.Jan. Posts: 113 [Renowned Wayfarer]
Hi all,

For a holiday trip in the US this summer I am preparing routes and calculating time and distances and if everything will fit in the bigger plan.
Part of the journey will bring us through Yellowstone park north of Salt Lake City.
If you let Tom Tom plan it now it knows that most of Yellowstone is now closed due to winter conditions and closed roads. But despite that, I want to "select/choose" the roads and prepare the planning. This is not possible as Tom Tom keeps insisting on certain combinations of roads even with the drag option available.
This function is still too rigid and not flexible/customizable enough.

Example.
In my planning I want to go from "0815 The Hostel, Teton Village" in the south, drive along the 191 north and not take the 14 more east but the 89 west into the park towards "0816 Super 8 Gardiner. MyDrive does not let me succeed this task. It persists in me taking other routes. See attached images.

64936591-3930-49aa-8e50-593f3853fe80.jpgThis is the default planning going from the southpoint to the north. Tom Tom takes the west side of the park due to current winter conditions and closed roads. Good.

9bb77592-0561-4af3-97ae-b62eba6c663c.jpg
I am trying to plan a route via the 191 and 89 in the east of the park. This is the result. Not good.

5d1a760d-ecea-4b44-be76-90db494242bc.jpg
Another drag of the route gives me the above. Still not the desired 191 and 89. Not good.

And it seems that what ever point along the road I pull or drag to, it does not give me the result I want. See the below pictures.

d1b5f91e-0a38-4076-93fd-fcbc9f9249af.jpg

04fba15c-974d-44f0-a050-2ea951a90262.jpg

b2a58522-acd2-41d0-8d0f-79bf2d20608d.jpg

058d55d9-fe62-4fc6-ac4e-e3bdef63be63.jpg

Ok so Tom Tom really insists on me not driving along the 89 up north. Must be something really wrong with that road? Well not really. :wink:
http://www.foreverresorts.com/blog/2016/08/the-ultimate-highway-89-road-trip

And the above example is not the first I encounter in adjusting routes. It happens to me in Europe as well. The result is I driving along waypoints, and select the next once I passed a certain point, instead of planned route. It does not make my work easier. It makes it ...... :disappointed:.

So what to do here? Think I am going to switch over to the free for al to use Google Maps and import the file into my 400 plus Euro costing Tom Tom. Nice, really nice. :sob:

Cheers, Jan.

Comments

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,630
    Superusers
    Hi
    @Jan.
    Before you plan your route with the Mydrive Web Route planner Try....
    With the route Planning Window open
    Click on the "Leave Now" option... A Calendar menu will open
    Set the require Date
    Then when you plan the route, it will use any known planning parameters/restrictions applicable for that area and date

ATB YFM
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,955
    Superuser
    @Jan.

Is this the route you wanted?f813325c-5a75-4f94-afcd-95c418b4c411.jpg

Note date of departure and the two drag points
  • Troggy53Troggy53 Posts: 52 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    Just about to post the Calendar option and you guys beat me to it. :grin:
  • Jan.Jan. Posts: 113 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    Works flawlessly, thanks. I am going to stand in the corner and repeat to myself "I am stupid". :wink:
    One added question.
    It seems that when the date is changed on the route, this date is active on all newly made and saved routes. :thinking:

I would like my routes to be separate entities. If the saved route was created with no date set, I want it to be the same way when I reopen it. This way I can check saved routes on what settings where used and don't have to worry on changed details because of settings used in other planned and saved routes. Kinda crazy.
  • Dear Jan,

Regarding your latest comment, you are right. We still don't have support to store departure/arrival times on your saved routes. We have discussed it and registered it as an improvement!
    Thanks for your feedback.
    Superusers
    Hi
    @danielforniestomtom
    We still don't have support to store departure/arrival times on your saved routes. We have discussed it and registered it as an improvement!
    If it proves possible to store departure/arrival times on your saved routes
    I'm wondering if it would be possible for the MyDrive Web Route planner to also store the fixed speed option when planning a route for a car using the Truck planning feature
    Or better still give us a fixed speed option for the General route planner
    This would so useful for users of none commercial vehicles with a limited speed

ATB YFM
  • "If it proves possible to store departure/arrival times on your saved routes"
    Yes, that will be possible, so when re-editing them in MyDrive they will be taken into account. Once they become past dates, the route planner will default to "now".

"I'm wondering if it would be possible for the MyDrive Web Route planner to also store the fixed speed option when planning a route for a car using the Truck planning feature
    Or better still give us a fixed speed option for the General route planner
    This would so useful for users of none commercial vehicles with a limited speed "

When you refer to "fixed speed", is that synonymous to "maximum speed"?
    We already support using and storing vehicle measurements for trucks. One of those properties is "maximum speed".

Best Regards
    Superusers
    Hi
    @danielforniestomtom
    When you refer to "fixed speed", is that synonymous to "maximum speed"?
    We already support using and storing vehicle measurements for trucks. One of those properties is "maximum speed".
    Yes maximum speed... I assume that the journey time calculated and displayed in the MyDrive Web Route planner (Truck) would not be the same (i.e... faster) after the PND had processed and displayed the route

ATB YFM
    PND?

And good talk guys. Thanks.
    I'll be around more with things I find and possible requests.

Greetings, Jan.
    Superusers
    Hi
    PND = Personal Navigation Device

ATB YFM
  • Dear Jan,

Regarding your latest comment, you are right. We still don't have support to store departure/arrival times on your saved routes. We have discussed it and registered it as an improvement!

Hi there,

From now on, you should be able to store your departure time when saving a route in MyDrive Web. The release announcement should come soon.
    We still do not properly support storing arrival times, but that should come in a future release.

Any feedback welcome!
    Best Regards,
    Daniel
    Superusers
    edited April 2019
    Hi
    @danielforniestomtom
    (Snip)From now on, you should be able to store your departure time when saving a route in MyDrive Web. The release announcement should come soon.
    We still do not properly support storing arrival times, but that should come in a future release
    Does the departure time get transferd to the device during syncing the route and is it taken into consideration when calculating the route on the device i.e... Closed Winter passes & Closed USA National parks ???

The road to Grossklockner Pass is closed from November to May
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1111243/the-road-to-grossklockner-pass-is-closed-from-november-to-may

ATB YFM

YamFazMan wrote: »
    Hi
    @danielforniestomtom
    (Snip)From now on, you should be able to store your departure time when saving a route in MyDrive Web. The release announcement should come soon.
    We still do not properly support storing arrival times, but that should come in a future release
    Does the departure time get transferd to the device during syncing the route and is it taken into consideration when calculating the route on the device i.e... Closed Winter passes & Closed USA National parks ???

The road to Grossklockner Pass is closed from November to May
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1111243/the-road-to-grossklockner-pass-is-closed-from-november-to-may

ATB YFM

I can confirm that the access status on various passes in Europe is correct depending on the season ....... and maybe even current weather conditions. I mention the weather as I think this was the reason a saved route was recalculated and took me around the pass when it actively snowed when it was time to leave. Can any of the devs confirm this? Is this a similar behavior as traffic jams or accidents?
    I do need more testing on this ....... for sure.