How to get the last supported map update for a de- supported device? — TomTom Community

How to get the last supported map update for a de- supported device?

blessublessu Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
edited January 2019 in Map purchasing
I have a Start 50M. I connected it to PC today and discovered that it was no longer supported and thus I can't get my map updated. The explanation is that new maps now are too big for older devices. So how can I get an update using the last supported map that can fit onto my device? In other words, how do I get as up to date as possible? Also, there is no longer any customer support for these devices??

Thanks for any help anyone can offer!

Comments

• [Gelöschter Benutzer][Gelöschter Benutzer] Posts: 5,321 [Supreme Trailblazer]
  • chrisgoateschrisgoates Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    I have exactly the same question, got the email in October offering me update of Europe maps for £30, thought it was a good deal but didn't get around to it until I received this weeks email about no more maps. I can't access this offer, or the October update at all. My Go 700 is still giving fine service, as I'm old I don't like learning new tricks, I didn't like a more modern TomTom in a recent hire car and would dearly love to have the last release map.
    Any ideas anyone?
    Chris
  • pauljlozpauljloz Posts: 10 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Get a mount for your phone. Tomtom business model is in a downward spiral.
  • GeorgeBowyerGeorgeBowyer Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    I agree with this.

I - reluctantly - understand that products may not be able to be supported with new upgrades forever, but there is absolutely no justification for removing access to existing upgrades.

That is just profiteering, plain and simple, trying to force people to buy new products ahead of time.

Cheap, dirty move, TomTom. Fix it.
  • JürgenJürgen Posts: 6,028
    Community Manager
    I agree with this.

I - reluctantly - understand that products may not be able to be supported with new upgrades forever, but there is absolutely no justification for removing access to existing upgrades.

That is just profiteering, plain and simple, trying to force people to buy new products ahead of time.

You list a GO 5000 in your account here on the forum. That device has 8 GB and is not end-of-life. Is there perhaps another older device linked to your account that you received an end-of-life message for?
  • pauljlozpauljloz Posts: 10 [Outstanding Explorer]
    I agree with this.

You list a GO 5000 in your account here on the forum. That device has 8 GB and is not end-of-life. Is there perhaps another older device linked to your account that you received an end-of-life message for?

The maps for my region are much smaller than 2GB and I have an SD card with maps loaded covering a population of 400M. Why have TT discontinued support on the basis my device only has 2GB? Its not because I don't pay them a significant sum of money for maps!
  • GeorgeBowyerGeorgeBowyer Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    I also have a Go 750 Live, in my partner's vehicle.
  • Lost in ThoughtLost in Thought Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    ME TOO!
    Last week I got lost in the newest maze of roads around Amsterdam. Time to update my map! Guess what? I can't update! I can't even call anyone to ask why. This morning (19 February 2018) I received a mail saying that as of 18 January 2018 my TomTom XXL Classic had been declared obsolete - no more updates, services, support.

Is this how one does business? I don't drive much and rarely leave my region; I also don't have the funds to buy new maps every few months for places I never travel to. If this is the end of the road for my particular TomTom, then I would at least like to have the opportunity to buy and install the latest end-of-the-road map. I can probably get to my own EOL with that.

By the way, here's what TomTom Home says about memory usage on my miserable 2 GB navigator:
    d883610c-9af1-4cdc-b885-dae1c80932cb.jpg
    As others have noted, TomTom's 2 GB limitation reason for stopping is just fluff. Blow it away and you see contempt for the individual consumers who made them big and successful. Shameful behaviour.

QUESTION:
    Does anyone know if there is an official channel or action or whatever to encourage TomTom to at least allow download and installation of The Last Map?
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,006
    Superusers
    Hi
    @Lost in Thought
    Tomtom have already stated that Lifetime Maps and any existing Map Subscriptions will be honoured

See VikramK Post (TomTom Staff) Here....
    https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/news-and-announcements-37/end-of-life-device-with-lifetime-maps-1032484/index1.html#post1207861

If you have Lifetime Maps or an existing Map Subscriptions Call Tomtom Support...

When calling... When prompted by the Auto Response System DO NOT provide your Tomtom model information, wait for a live agent to respond

:flag_nl: Nederland (Holland)
    020 850 1007
    Maandag t/m vrijdag van 9.00 tot 17:30

ATB YFM
  • Lost in ThoughtLost in Thought Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    YamFazMan wrote:
    Hi
    @Lost in Thought

Tomtom have already stated that Lifetime Maps and any existing Map Subscriptions will be honoured
    Hi YamFazMan,

Thank you. I have neither LTM nor a subscription. I may give the telephone a try, just to see what sort of response I get. If it's interesting, I'll post it here.
  • tesbatesba Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    This really sucks the way Tomtom treats their customers. No warning that they are going to withdraw support for older devices. At least allow customers to install the last supported map. My friend gave me a used Tomtom with a five year old map. I am willing to pay for a map to use it for a couple of years before I upgrade to a newer model. You lost a customer who paid hundreds of dollars for maps.
  • JohniesJohnies Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I even paid for a new map for my GO 750 in the fall and now I wanted to download the paid map, but it is not possible anymore without any prior warning from TT... I can't beleive that TT behaves to the customers in such a way! That's why I will never buy TT again, although I was very satisfied with my GO 750.
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 11,390 Moderator
    @Johnies

I have reactivated the map on your account so you should be able to download it using TomTom HOME.

Note: It was a single map purchase and not a 'Map update service' it means the same version of the map will be offered for download.

Regards
    Vikram
  • BlizzardBoyBlizzardBoy Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    I just opened up the packaging on a TomTomONE LE (v2?) Limited Edition I purchased at Best Buy in 2007 or 2008. I realize the hardware is "obsolete" in terms of the more recent maps. I would like to use my one-time "Latest Map guarantee" code to at least update this unit to the most recent Map supported by the hardware. This version does have an SDHC slot and Bluetooth by the way. Current map on unit is a really old 705.

Can this be achieved somehow? When I connect to HOME, I simply get a generic indication that my unit is too old to receive latest maps due to memory size. I do understand this, but want to at least get the latest hardware-supportable map I'm entitled to with the One-Time upgrade code. Any hope?
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,341
    Superusers
    Believe the one time map update had to be used within 90 days of purchase. You can try support and plead ignorance and hope you get a really sympathetic agent but don't count on it.

Also, do NOT provide a model when prompted in order for a live agent to respond:

United States
    877-757-7137
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. EST

• lradun94lradun94 Posts: 4 [New Seeker]
    blessu wrote: »
    I have a Start 50M. I connected it to PC today and discovered that it was no longer supported and thus I can't get my map updated. The explanation is that new maps now are too big for older devices. So how can I get an update using the last supported map that can fit onto my device? In other words, how do I get as up to date as possible? Also, there is no longer any customer support for these devices??

Thanks for any help anyone can offer!

Same problem. Never had replay, just lost my money.
    Same problem. No contact available. Just lost my money. Leon
    Can't reach any agent at all. Disgrace!
    No warning that they are going to withdraw support for older devices!!! Shame
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,006
    Superusers
    edited March 2019
    Hi
    @lradun94
    Can't reach any agent at all. Disgrace!
    Phone Tomtom Support....
    Australia

1300 135 604
    Monday-Friday:9:00 am to 5:30 pm AEST

See VikramK Post (TomTom Staff) Here....
    https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/news-and-announcements-37/end-of-life-device-with-lifetime-maps-1032484/index1.html#post1207861

If you have Lifetime Maps or an existing Map Subscriptions Call Tomtom Support...
    When calling....
    Tomtom are monitoring Eol support by an Auto Response Phone System
    When prompted DO NOT provide your Tomtom model information... Wait for a live agent to respond

Phone Tomtom Support....
    Australia
    1300 135 604
    Monday-Friday:9:00 am to 5:30 pm AEST

ATB YFM