What is Tomtom up too?

47Rag
47Rag Registered Users Posts: 7
Master Traveler
Sent this email today regarding discontinuing "Lifetime Map Updates".
Got directed to FAQ's.
What is to stop this happening again in the future on some other “bells & whistles” model? (820GO).

To me “lifetime maps” means just that. Not the life of the device according to Tomtom as it suits. When I purchased my device (825GO) it was the best buy for the money with an advertised Lifetime Map Update carrot attached to it. It was not the cheapest for my purposes but was purchased because of the map feature. The viewing quality of the maps provided is more than adequate for my purposes & I see no need to upgrade to a prettier picture. I note with interest that although you say free maps will not be supported from now on, if I had paid an annual fee that was still running then you would maintain that service. If you can do it on a paying service you can keep doing it on mine. With all the android map apps floating around these days I would have thought you guys would be improving your service to existing customers, not trying to grab more money.

Regards, GW

Comments

• 47Rag
    Master Traveler
    For the record, this msg was sent to Tomtom in response to today's announcement that they would no longer be updating/supplying free map updates to the 825GO series navigators. However, if I wished to purchase an 820 model at some discount then everything would work as before!

Not happy.
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,967
     Superuser
    Hi
    The 2GB devices are now EOL
    I asume your GO Live 825 Serial Number starts with "FY"

"FB" >GO LIVE 825, 8GB + micro-SDHC, MyDrive Connect NAV3
    "FW">GO LIVE 825, 4GB + micro-SDHC, MyDrive Connect NAV3
    "FY" >GO LIVE 825, 2GB + micro-SDHC, MyDrive Connect NAV3

If you are being offered a GO LIVE 820 it must be with a Serial Number starts with "FA" or "FU"

"FA">GO LIVE 820, 8GB + micro-SDHC, MyDrive Connect NAV3
    "FT" >GO LIVE 820, 2GB + micro-SDHC, MyDrive Connect NAV3
    "FU">GO LIVE 820, 4GB + micro-SDHC, MyDrive Connect NAV3

ATB YFM
  • 47Rag
    Master Traveler
    Hi. The reply you sent just repeats the official statement & is not a response to my question. I assume you represent Tomtom Inc?

ATB GW
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,967
     Superuser
    Hi
    @47Rag
    I was just trying to explain that all of the GO Live 825 devices aren't same, there are 3 different memory sizes
    I thought you could check the first two characters your serial number to see if your device was one of the the 2GB models that are EOL
    The same goes for the GO Live 820 models
    A few people have posted who thought their devices were EOL, but they were OK having 4GB or 8GB memory

ATB YFM
  • 47Rag
    Master Traveler
    Hi
    As I pointed out in my initial post ; "I do not need the bells & whistles" 3D memory hogging presentation, I just need the map for my country of residence & the updates Tomtom sold me along with my (FY) 2Gb 825GO. As "headsup", the device comes from Tomtom with the complete maps for two(2) countries which just happen to be separated by a rather large body of water. The Tasman Sea to be precise & as you can guess it is not possible to drive across that obstacle in a motorcar. No roads in place you see. At least not yet & probably not in my lifetime.

Here's an idea :cowboy:.

How about Tomtom dumbing down the smaller memory devices by supplying only the maps they require? How about that?

And the question I was asking (apart from the obvious) was;

"If Tomtom can support paying customers with map updates for the EOL devices if they have a current unexpired subscription for the maps,"

then why can't they 'fess up & continue to support the "Lifetime map update" fraternity?

Get it?

ATB GW
  • Euramobilpete
    Euramobilpete Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Seeker
    Hi, I have a GO 700 which is old and I'm about ready to update it. I received the info about a discounted replacement. I used the on-line option to get a discount code and got no reply. I tried phoning using the number supplied but it was not recognised?
    Eventually go through to Tomtom UK support who kept me waiting for ages and eventually sent me an e-mail asking me to confirm what I wanted to buy and a discount code would be supplied
    I quote:-
    "If you would like to go ahead and place an order please reply to my e-mail with confirmation and I will provide you with a link containing your unique discount code."

I replied and I'm still waiting for the info.

Awful customer support, wrong phone number and no reply. Is this discount deal just a scam to stop customers with now unsupported devices from moaning.

I'm now expecting something along the lines of all the offers have been taken and we are out of stock!!!!
  • VikramK
    VikramK Administrators Posts: 14,024
    @47Rag, If you have a device with Lifetime maps then, it will be honored and you will continue to receive map updates.

@Euramobilpete, I have sent a heads up to the customer service so your case will be dealt on a priority.

Regards
    Vikram
  • dhn
    dhn Posts: 33,385
     Superuser
    @VikramK

Can you make a sticky on the front page or somewhere that emphasizes this which you just posted above:

If you have a device with Lifetime maps then, it will be honored and you will continue to receive map updates.

Many of the posters getting the emails about their device's being EOL have indeed Lifetime maps.
  • pauljloz
    pauljloz Registered Users Posts: 10
    Outstanding Explorer
    dhn wrote:
    @VikramK

Can you make a sticky on the front page or somewhere that emphasizes this which you just posted above:

If you have a device with Lifetime maps then, it will be honored and you will continue to receive map updates.

This contradicts statements that updates cannot be provided due to a technical limitation of the device.

How long is "lifetime maps"???
  • 47Rag
    Master Traveler
    @VikramK

Yep. Like @dhn (the above poster) says. Many owners of the EOL product have indeed "lifetime maps", but still get the run around, so please make this a sticky so we can get this issue sorted. One way or the other!

PS: I feel for you @Euromobiliepete , regarding simple comms, I also attempted to contact the corporation & got sent around into a whirlpool (referred back to FAQ's) which initiated my original post to ask the question.

ATB GW
  • 47Rag
    Master Traveler
    pauljloz wrote:
    dhn wrote:
    @VikramK

This contradicts statements that updates cannot be provided due to a technical limitation of the device.

How long is "lifetime maps"???

Good question @.pauljloz

Dare I ask, if "memory capacity (2Gb) is the current constraint" how much memory is enough for a truly "Lifetime map" contract? And on what premise is that (Gb memory) decision made?