Struggling with windiness on Rider 410 — TomTom Community

Struggling with windiness on Rider 410

Tonyt54Tonyt54 Posts: 8 [Apprentice Seeker]
edited January 17 in RIDER
I have just got a Rider 410 and am having a couple of issues.
I used it to drive from Plymouth to Basingstoke, with the least windy route. However, the section to Exeter took nearly 2 hours as it kept putting me on unclassified roads which turned out to be single track with loose gravel and grass growing up the middle. What I was hoping for were mostly B and minor A roads, but whatever I tried it did not want me to use anything apart from unclassified roads. Is there anything I can do to give me better control?

Having had that experience I then tried using my laptop to plan a route very precisely to go on the roads I wanted and then downloaded it to the Rider. The mistake I then made was that while riding the route I changed my mind and took a detour. The route then became useless because it it seemed to want to take me back to where I left the route, rather than re-joining the route at the closest point to where I was. Again was this me not using the device correctly?

Comments

• MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi Tony,

Welcome to the Community!

You can select to avoid unpaved roads in the Route Planning settings [user manual]. The windiness and hilliness you've selected also affects the choice of roads for the route. For more information, please see the video below.
    [video]

Did you plan the route on the device right before driving sync it from MyDrive? If you saved the route in MyDrive, it was saved and synced as a track, which indeed doesn't change if you deviate from it.

Cheers, Mikko
  • JoelS.JoelS. Posts: 286 [Exalted Navigator]
    did you save as an itn or a different format ??
    Tonyt54 wrote:
    The route then became useless because it it seemed to want to take me back to where I left the route, rather than re-joining the route at the closest point to where I was.

itn force you to hit every point marked on the route, the other way lets you make detours and gets you back where you had planned. it works Most of the time very well.
  • Tonyt54Tonyt54 Posts: 8 [Apprentice Seeker]
    thank you
    the roads were paved, although in practice just the bits up the sides were usable for a road bike.
    And on the other point, yes it was a track from Mydrive so I don't think there are any format options. Are there any options in "tyre" that might change how it works?
  • XorroXorro Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I bought a Rider 450 last year and I am experiencing the same issues.

I turned off unpaved roads before even using the sat nav for the first time. I've lost count of the number of unclassified roads it still takes me down, I too ended up on a road with grass in the middle and tall crops on either side.
    These types of road are not quicker or a short cut as they have poor visibility and you can only ride at about 10mph.

So many people have asked for the option to stick to M/A/B roads and to avoid these unclassified roads. Please TomTom can you do something about this!
  • EXPORTMANEXPORTMAN Posts: 634 Superusers
    This sometimes happens on the car devices too. I think it is that in the UK we classify roads slightly different from the rest of Europe. I have ended up on some interesting roads due to traffic diversions.
    Born free, now in debt