Spark charging / data connection "dots" — TomTom Community

Spark charging / data connection "dots"

paulpaypaulpay Posts: 10 [Apprentice Seeker]
I have been having issues with transferring data to my pc, the watch is intermittently recognised. On inspection I noticed that the metal connection dots on the watch are wearing out and causing this fault. If I grip the watch and connector tightly then I can force a good contact. What's the fix here? It would seem that the process of attaching the data cable to the watch is eroding the contacts...... Not a good situation, highly frustrating and I cannot rely on Bluetooth transfer. Your advice please.

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,815
    Superusers
    The fix is to call Customer Support and see about replacing the watch as you cannot replace or refinish the contacts. To get the number for Customer Support, select Contact Us at the bottom of this page, select the service required and the product name and click Contact Customer Care and then Phone Us. It will give you the phone number for the country your account is registered under (this can be changed by clicking the flag icon in the bottom right corner of the screen).

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • djleggedjlegge Posts: 14 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Are you sure the problem is with the watch, not the dock it connects to ?
    I had similar problems and noticed that the two middle spring contacts on the dock had somehow pushed down into the plastic a bit. I managed to gently prize / bend them back out so they are well proud of the plastic and it works properly now.
    The connection to PC is useful for when I don't have the time to spend 20 minutes persuading bluetooth syncing to work !
  • paulpaypaulpay Posts: 10 [Apprentice Seeker]
    @djlegge it's the watch unit, see the picture the contacts are worn, especially what I suppose is the data one, 3rd down.5afa723b-7a9d-4b0c-8d7e-d404c62b939d.jpg
  • djleggedjlegge Posts: 14 [Apprentice Traveler]
    The middle two contacts are data, the outer two are power. Both data contacts need to be good for the watch to connect to the PC. The photo is a little fuzzy but the third contact looks more like it is contaminated with dirt or corrosion, than worn out. I say this because I would expect the pin of the connector to wear the middle of the pad out, not the outside edges. The middle of the third pad looks less 'worn' than the outside edge of it.
    The connection pads are (presumably) gold, so should not corrode. If it has corroded you may be out of luck but if it was me, I'd try cleaning it with a cotton bud and some alcohol (like meths) or even just water. Worth a try...
  • paulpaypaulpay Posts: 10 [Apprentice Seeker]
    @djlegge , thanks for your suggestion - I tried to clean the contact, but it is definitely "missing" gold (not corroded, gold doesn't corrode), it must have been removed by the insertion of the connector or some other friction.

I can now only make a data connection by placing a tiny piece of aluminium foil into the recess and hoping it doesn't move when inserting charger.

Clearly this is a farce, and I would also suggest a design fault with the tomtom. I'm having to do this as the QuickGPS fix is not updating via bluetooth, despite me turing the watch on and off via the TomTom connect app (when I can get the PC to talk to the watch, as above). And that is after the software downgrade to allow me to actually sync via bluetooth.

Unhappy.

@tfarabaugh I would like a free, replacement watch. This situation is unacceptable.
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,815
    Superusers
    paulpay wrote:
    @tfarabaugh I would like a free, replacement watch. This situation is unacceptable.
    I am not sure why you are addressing this to me, I am not a TomTom employee (no one on here is unless they are a moderator). As I said in my first reply you need to call Customer Support.