End of life for TomTom devices

VikramKVikramK Posts: 7,750 TomTom Moderator
Hello all,

From the 16th of January 2018, we will stop to sell maps and services for devices with an internal memory of 2GB or less.

It has become clear that some of our older-generation navigation devices do not have enough memory to accommodate the latest available maps and software updates.

In case you have an active subscription, you will be able to update the device till the subscription expires. Once the subscription has expired customers won't be able to renew the services.

Anyone who has an EOL device associated with their account should already have received about 2 emails with a discount on upgrading to a current device. We started adding 2GB devices to this offer in October.

What is EOL?

Like last time - users can no longer buy new updates and services. Some features of TomTom HOME are no longer available. When an EOL device is connected, you will find that some icons are greyed out by TomTom HOME. You should get a popup when the device is connected as a reminder that the product is EOL and so you don't not have all the options. It will also link to the obsolete page for an upgrade offer.

To know more about EOL and see the list of devices please visit the official website link below:

UK and Europe: https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/obsolete-products/

US: https://www.tomtom.com/en_us/obsolete-products/

Asia and Pacific: https://www.tomtom.com/en_au/obsolete-products/

Edited- 7th March 2019

Nav2-
J5/J6/LF/LG/M8/RZ/V7

Nav3
AH/AI/AR/BG/BH/BM/FA/FB/FP/SE/SI/SJ/SL/SM/SN/SP/SQ/SR

Regards
Vikram
Have a question? Ask!
Did a reply resolve your query, please mark it as answer!
Try the search; the information you are looking for could already be available.
Tagged:

Comments

• dhndhn Posts: 33,184 Superusers
    Vikram, can you add the link for North American devices that are EOL, please.
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 7,750 TomTom Moderator
    Thanks @dhn

Sure thing that.. Added now:)

Regards
    Vikram
    Have a question? Ask!
    Did a reply resolve your query, please mark it as answer!
    Try the search; the information you are looking for could already be available.
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,184 Superusers
    Thanks!!! :grinning:
  • justmebrowsingjustmebrowsing Posts: 389 [Supreme Pioneer]
    That's absolute BS and TT know it!
    1. Why are so many old (and newer) devices supplied with an SD or MicroSD card slot then if not for BASIC MEMORY EXPANSION to facilitate either larger, or multiple maps?
    2. Why are very many new maps being offered broken down into smaller, under 2GB zoned areas/sections?
    Offend or please....it's the truth!
    But there ARE still some of these devices showing as supported in the mapshop:-

DA/DR/GA/GB/GC/GD/GF/GX/K3/M9/RF/RP/W2/W6/ZA/ZB/ZF
    ....and STILL no response from TomTom regarding the mis-information in this announcement?:rage:
  • DryCreekDryCreek Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    OK, so are you saying that my Lifetime Maps subscription for my XXL 540 TM (Remember, the "TM" stands for Lifetime maps and traffic) is no longer eligible to receive quarterly updated maps? I realize that the statement says that if you have a "current subscription", you should see no difference in the operation of your device. Since I have the Lifetime map subscription, then I suppose that I should ignore the notice informing me that my device is now obsolete?

So confused here....... I remember when I ran into the same issue back in the early 90's with my "lifetime updates" promised by McAfee Antivirus. Yup, I was a member in that class-action lawsuit too. It seems to me that TomTom could be setting themselves up for a similar row if they cut off the users with the Lifetime Map Subscription Service. I hope that's not the case though.

I have a VIA 1505 too. It would be a shame to have to toss both of my TomToms and just use the Garmin DEZL 770 out of the motor home for all of my vehicles! I must confess that the 7" screen on that thing is nice for these tired, old eyes!
  • FdellSFdellS Posts: 10 [Legendary Explorer]
    @justmebrowsing

I am not supporting TomTom but I am afraid I don't agree with you when you say "misinformation".

It's their selection of pnd's with 2gb internal memory that they wanted to declare end of life.

Some more details on the serial number you mentioned...

In-dash navigation:(Perhaps not considered EoL)
    DA Toyota Aygo/Subaru/ECLIPSE II
    DR Mazda Navigation System NB1 Mazda Navigation

Which are these devices? No mention on their website: DO You know?
    GA ??
    GB ??
    GC ??
    GD ??
    GF ??
    RF ??
    RP ??

https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9508/~/finding-the-model-of-your-navigation-device

GX XXL Classic 4GB device
    W2 GO 750 LIVE 4GB device
    W6 GO 750 4GB device

K3 Rider pro I don't feel any Rider model is considered EoL for now..

These are the latest range, so they cannot stop support so early:

ZA GO PROFESSIONAL 6250
    ZB GO wifi 5200
    ZF GO PROFESSIONAL 520

M9 GO 720 512 mb internal memory device(The model shows as compatible on the mapshop of their website)

@VikramK, can you give some clarification on the last one?
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,548 Superuser
    @FdellS
    FdellS wrote:
    Which are these devices? No mention on their website: DO You know?
    GA ??
    GB ??
    GC ??
    GD ??
    GF ??
    RF ??
    RP ??

They are in fact devices in the USA, see https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/travel-lounge-154/serial-numbers-us-device-names-1014475

As for "ZA", "ZB", "ZC", "ZD", "ZE" and "ZF" see the clash here https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/travel-lounge-154/serial-numbers-uk-devices-names-1014468
    Help others identify useful content :- - If someone posted something that was helpful? Click the Like button 👍

If someone answered the question you asked? Answer Yes to "Did this answer the question? Yes · No"
  • FdellSFdellS Posts: 10 [Legendary Explorer]
    GA ??
    GB ??
    GC ??
    GD ??
    GF ??
    RF ??
    RP ??

Thanks for the list but no mentions on the US website.

http://us.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9521/~/find-the-model-of-your-navigation-device-and-what-software-it-uses

Similar serial numbers for different models could be confusing..
    I think Niall has basically clarified things for you but, further to your comments:
    According to Nialls post here https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/travel-lounge-154/serial-numbers-uk-devices-names-1014468
    "GX">XXL IQ Routes / XXL Classic, 2GB, TomTom HOME NAV2
    "W2">GO 750 LIVE, 2GB + micro-SDHC, TomTom HOME NAV2

"W6">GO 750, 4GB + micro-SDHC, TomTom HOME NAV2 (so my error)

DA/DF/DK/DP/DR/DS etc (in-car), K3 etc if TT are meant to be killing off 2GB internal memory devices then why not these too I wonder (assuming they do all have some internal memory under 2GB)

ZA-ZF clashes are typical TT, like calling old & new devices GO 500 etc etc

I maintain that TT themselves should a) clarify/explain why some 2GB devices ARE still supported and many are not and b) what's the logic behind this (apart from trying to force more customers into buying inferior/later models) because, as said earlier; there are many, many maps being supplied in broken-down zones/regions/areas TO FIT THESE SMALLER MEMORY DEVICES notwithstanding the majority of these devices having SD/MicroSD card slots anyway!
    Their initial explanation in post #1 that they are stopping (have already stopped) support for devices with an internal memory of 2GB or less "because It has become clear that some of our older-generation navigation devices do not have enough memory to accommodate the latest available maps and software updates" JUST DOES NOT HOLD WATER when read in context with the above.

Come on TT, don't hide behind your moderators, TELL US THE TRUTH!
    PS all my original info came from this post:- https://de.discussions.tomtom.com/neuigkeiten-und-ankuendigungen-111/end-of-service-fuer-navigeraete-2-gb-990816

Shame (or probably a good thing) we don't have a similar post in this English speaking section. Brexit...bring it on!
  • Disgruntled UserDisgruntled User Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    That's absolute BS and TT know it!
    1. Why are so many old (and newer) devices supplied with an SD or MicroSD card slot then if not for BASIC MEMORY EXPANSION to facilitate either larger, or multiple maps?
    2. Why are very many new maps being offered broken down into smaller, under 2GB zoned areas/sections?
    Offend or please....it's the truth!
  • Disgruntled UserDisgruntled User Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Very poor business practice Tom Tom with withdrawing the lifetime service of updates with no warning except an email received this morning six days after the deadline. A bit of emotional blackmail or a very good sales pitch to upgrade? I rest my case. Garmin here I come!
  • BasileuoBasileuo Posts: 13 [Outstanding Explorer]
    I only received a mail this morning regarding the intention not to support earlier devices and it is the first one I have received regarding stopping of support for my device!
    I too am disgusted with Tom Tom and their deceit.
    The reason given that devices with less than 2GB have insufficient memory is completely erroneous, having checked my device the Internal memory of 2GB is only being used by 200MB so has 1.71GB free, the mapping is contained on the SD card which also has 1.55GB free and can be increased in size if desired.
    In my opinion this is an extremely crude attempt to force you to buy a new model, well tell you what Tom Tom, it will certainly just lose me as a customer!!
  • AustinpeckAustinpeck Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Deceit and disgust - the new TomTom name - My GPS is 2014 Start 50 - 2014!!!!!! You seriously you didn't know this 3 years later? Yes Your company screwed me over big time and you think that your 30% discount will entice me to ever buy your deceit again? Can't wait for the lawsuits to start. Never buy TomTom - Liars and deceitful from the start of product initiation!!! 30% discount LMAO. Pathetic! I think you can tell from my tone that I think that this will blow up and doom your company - most people use cell phones now anyways - may your company go down in smoke!! Trust me, it'll be facebook, twitter, instagram worldwide in no time with lawyers lining up for people like me, so that they can make their buck - and why not for me - it'll cost you millions, I will get $5 but knowing that its going to cost you that much, will at least put that smile on my face.
    Good Riddance!
  • KottKott Posts: 11 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I hate Tomtom
    Another Apple wannabe. Please sue them
    @Austinpeck

If the serial number of your START 50 does NOT start with "GU" then it has NOT been declared 'End of life'
    Help others identify useful content :- - If someone posted something that was helpful? Click the Like button 👍

If someone answered the question you asked? Answer Yes to "Did this answer the question? Yes · No"
    How do I go about filing a complaint?
    @Kott

Contact Customer Services

CS United States
    877-757-7137
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. EST

• racefan15racefan15 Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    Niall wrote:
    @Kott

Contact Customer Services

CS United States
    877-757-7137
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. EST

I will for sure. I bought a $250 XXL 540 with guarantee of lifetime maps and traffic. Now I'm being told that "lifetime only means the life of the program being offered by TomTom" ???? Bullshit. I have amply storage for additional maps and can update to a bigger SD card as needed. IF they are "phasing out" all of these old lifetime devices, then they need to replace them with the new model. Not some BS 30% discount.
  • crperk44crperk44 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    lol, just bought the 1 year update! Smile you have been screwed!
    I filed a complaint with BBB. I hope everyone is doing the same
  • racefan15racefan15 Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    Great idea. Doing it now.