No maps found on the built in TomTom Renault Scenic — TomTom Community

No maps found on the built in TomTom Renault Scenic

Emma L HEmma L H Posts: 12 [Apprentice Seeker]
I bought a second hand Renault Scenic Dynamique with in-built Tomtom navigation system last August. The Tomtom worked fine for six months but then suddenly stopped functioning and displays 'No maps found!'. My manual does not show which model of Tomtom I have and I have had no luck resolving the situation. I have read that you should have a back up on your computer but am I too late for this? Has my Tomtom's SD card corrupted? How do I get the system up and running - so frustrating....

Comments

• [Gelöschter Benutzer][Gelöschter Benutzer] Posts: 5,321 [Supreme Trailblazer]
    Emma L H wrote:
    I bought a second hand Renault Scenic Dynamique
    Which year of construction?
  • Emma L HEmma L H Posts: 12 [Apprentice Seeker]
  • CarminatCarminat Posts: 989 [Revered Pioneer]
    Have you been fiddling with the card (I don't mean naughtily, just maybe jiggled it in the slot)?

Is it properly in its slot? Is the card locked by the little slider on the side of it (it shouldn't be)?

Can you do ANYTHING with the system? If so, what?
    I only took out the card and reinserted it to check the connection but no effect whatsoever. Just the 'No maps found!' with annoying exclamation mark. Can do nothing with the system.

The car is a 2013 model (not 2012 as previously stated) if that makes any difference....
    You need to identify which satnav you've got, either Renault R-Link or Carminat TomTom. Because support is either Renault (R-Link) or TomTom (Carminat).

I'm guessing you haven't set up a link with your computer - an account for the system.

Have you looked at the contents of the card, simply looked at it with Windows Explorer or any other program which reads cards? You will have either lots of files on there (Carminat) or only a couple (R-Link).
    I have not tried putting the card into my laptop - I was cautious in case it corrupted the information on there but will try that later. So once I know which satnav I have, will we be able to sort out the problem? It seems that there are lots of cases of this particular problem.

Thank you very much - I will try what you suggest later.
    Do NOT format the SD card

OK - so I just insert SD card into laptop and see what files it holds?
    Yes. It'll have quite a lot OR only two or three e.g. TOMTOM.000, TOMTOM.001.
    Many thanks. I'll post my findings later.
    There are lots of folders on the card......
    Many thanks for your very helpful message. I will try what you suggest this evening.

It is very annoying as we bought the car from a garage and it was only six months down the line when this problem arose that we realised there was no information within the manual pack for the Tomtom, so no serial number or other details.

I will let you know what happens.

Thank you again.
    I followed your instructions exactly and hey presto, my system is up and running again, and updated too.

I can't thank you enough - would never have managed to do it without your help.

Best wishes.
    Oh I'm soooo pleased. (I don't know how to do it, but it would be good if your were able to mark it as a Solution).
    I will see if I can do that for you.
    There seems to be no way to mark your help as a solution - I have looked.

If I do see a way, will do so in due course.

Thank you.
    Thank you!
    Well, Niall, I would like to mark your answer as the solution to “How to mark as solution”, but that entry is not showing, only Like and Quote!
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 10,594 Moderator
    The topic was started as a general discussion and not as a question. I changed it and marked 'Carminat's' post as an answer.

Thanks
    Vikram
    Ahah. So my answer shows immediately below the "question". The one serious problem with that is the readers may well not bother to read the entire topic and miss the VERY important post I made in which I greatly emphasised "Do NOT format the SD card".
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 10,594 Moderator
    The decision lies in your hands... So I would leave it up to you..

Certainly, it is a valid point by @Carminat that keeping the topic as an open discussion, will lead to users reading all the comments posted so everything will be read.

Let me know if I should unmark this as a question?

Regards
    Vikram
  • LolobelleLolobelle Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hello!

I am having a similar issue but i also think my SD card is corrupt. When i plug it into the computer it goes to load and then a reboots itself, over and over.

I bought the car second hand and the maps worked perfectly. I was just wondering if there was any way of buying a new SD card and downloading the maps.

Thank you!
  • Claire13Claire13 Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    Just wanted to say thank you for this advice. We had exactly the same problem with the Carminat in our secondhand 2012 Renault Clio, and it’s now working like a dream.

Carminat wrote: »
    Now make a backup copy of your SD card - it may not be much use, but at least you'll have a copy, which is better than no copy at all. Create a folder on your computer called Carminat01 (when you make another backup copy, do it in another new folder called Carminat02 and so on every time you create a new backup). Then copy and paste everything from the card into that new folder.

OK, so now set yourself up with an account for TomTom. On the card you will see a file called TomTom HOME.EXE. Double click that and it will install a new program on your computer, called TomTom HOME. You will need an email address and password - I suggest the same as you use for this website.

Once you have installed the HOME program, start it and then (if it doesn't do so automatically), click on UPDATE. What happens? When it finishes, click on eject and take the card to the car. Does the card work in the car now? Probably not, still saying no maps found, but at least we've got you recognised by TomTom.

You then have to phone TomTom support and ask them for help.

The problem you are reporting usually happens when someone tries to run an unofficial copy of a map - for example if they buy one off e-bay or a friend - that doesn't work because maps are linked only to the one device they are registered with and can't be transferred to another one. I don't know how this error has arisen on your Carminat, but hopefully TT Support will be able to resolve it for you - that might mean you have to buy and download a new map.