Spark- HR sensor flashing when not worn — TomTom Community

Spark- HR sensor flashing when not worn

ManergyManergy Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
Hi Techie People,

I bought my Stark cardio + music a few month ago, the HR Sensor green sensor repeatedly flashes when not worn. This means that it cant be kept in the bedroom when sleeping.

Can the led be disabled without disabling the sensor?

Regards,

Kevin Quiel

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,166 Superusers
    Manergy wrote:
    Hi Techie People,

I bought my Stark cardio + music a few month ago, the HR Sensor green sensor repeatedly flashes when not worn. This means that it cant be kept in the bedroom when sleeping.

Regards,

Kevin Quiel

The only reason it would flash would be if you have 24/7 HR tracking on, which takes a reading every 10 minutes. If you don't plan on wearing it at night then I would suggest turning off the 24/7 HR as you are only getting partial data anyway. Press down and select Tracker>Heart>Off. While you are there you might as well turn off sleep tracking (Sleep>Off) since you are not using it for sleep tracking either.

I hope this helps, please let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • ASmugDillASmugDill Posts: 550 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Manergy wrote:
    No. The LEDs are the most important component of the sensor, so it would not make sense to have an option to disable the LEDs without disabling the sensor (which cannot then function properly).

Oh, and it's not as if the watch has some other means of determining whether it's being worn or not; even the absence of detected movement does not logically mean it isn't being worn.

If the light from the LED disturbs you while you're trying to sleep in a dark environment, you can always put the TomTom Spark in a closed, light-proof container or some such if you aren't wearing it, even if it means you cannot then read the watch's display while in bed. Sometimes a relatively high-tech solution (requiring provision of an option in the device's firmware) isn't more effective than a low-tech, low-cost solution.
  • BecsBecs Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi, I have the same problem. My HR monitor is off, the night monitor is off, same with bike and phone - all off, but the green light comes on when not being worn (it's sitting on my desk at work and the green light just came on, which I why I looked up this forum). I end up charging my watch every second day as it goes flat. Which means I turn sensors on each time when training and don't use for everyday tracking.

I had to get a replacement for my first watch due to battery problems, I'm worried that this watch is faulty too (sometimes the HR monitor doesn't work, and I can be running for 15 mins before the GPS picks up on a clear day).

Any ideas on things to check on the watch?
    • I love the watch, I feel a connection to it and just want working right!
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,166 Superusers
    Becs wrote:
    Hi, I have the same problem. My HR monitor is off, the night monitor is off, same with bike and phone - all off, but the green light comes on when not being worn (it's sitting on my desk at work and the green light just came on, which I why I looked up this forum). I end up charging my watch every second day as it goes flat. Which means I turn sensors on each time when training and don't use for everyday tracking.

I had to get a replacement for my first watch due to battery problems, I'm worried that this watch is faulty too (sometimes the HR monitor doesn't work, and I can be running for 15 mins before the GPS picks up on a clear day).

Any ideas on things to check on the watch?
    • I love the watch, I feel a connection to it and just want working right!
    You need to turn the activity tracker off. It is coming on every 10 minutes to read your pulse. Press down and go to Tracker>Heart>Off to turn off the HR or Tracker>Off ot turn it off altogether.
  • BecsBecs Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi there, thanks for your reply, the activity tracker has been off. If the HR sensor is off the tracker sensor is greyed out, as if not able to function. The sleep tracker is off too.

I've just reset and will turn everything off and see what happens, hopefully the reset works - the old unplug and plug back in trick!

If anyone else has ideas, or best practices on managing battery life, I'd love to hear.

Rebecca