SD card backup -Renault with a Carminat TomTom LIVE — TomTom Community

SD card backup -Renault with a Carminat TomTom LIVE

hormigohormigo Posts: 3 [New Seeker]
edited January 2019 in Built in car navigation
My question is simple: I bought a Renault with a Carminat TomTom LIVE and I want to backup my included SD cart to a new one. It is well known that memory cards may get corrupted and lose data, so I'd like to have a working copy of my original SD.

Before writing these words I've searched on forums for info and have tried quite a lot. But my device keeps telling me "No puede utilizar este mapa en este dispositivo: Europe-100380" (You can't use this map on this device...).

Can anyone help me, or at least tell me where to look for the info?

Thanks a lot.

Comments

• CarminatCarminat Posts: 989 [Revered Pioneer]
    You need to associate the new card with your Carminat BEFORE you copy the card.

Format a new SD card (FAT32) of good size and speed - 16GB Class 10.

Take it into your car and insert it in the Carminat, switch on the engine.

Allow it to register to the Carminat - it will not say anything, just let it stay there for a time, perhaps it will say "No Maps Found" (I'm sorry, I don't know your language).

Using the menu, Remove the SD card from the car.

Take your original card to the computer and copy everything to a folder on your computer.

Take the new card to the computer and copy everything from the folder onto the card.

That should get you a backup working copy.
  • hormigohormigo Posts: 3 [New Seeker]
    Carminat wrote:
    You need to associate the new card with your Carminat BEFORE you copy the card.

Format a new SD card (FAT32) of good size and speed - 16GB Class 10.

Take it into your car and insert it in the Carminat, switch on the engine.

Allow it to register to the Carminat - it will not say anything, just let it stay there for a time, perhaps it will say "No Maps Found" (I'm sorry, I don't know your language).

Using the menu, Remove the SD card from the car.

Take your original card to the computer and copy everything to a folder on your computer.

Take the new card to the computer and copy everything from the folder onto the card.

That should get you a backup working copy.

Thanks a lot. But it didn’t work.

I have tried this solution many times, but the message saying that I can’t use that map in my device keeps showing up.

I give up. I’ll try to find a solution in case my card fails someday. Meanwhile I'll cross my fingers.
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,957
    Superuser
    @hormigo

If after a weekend of grafting you do not succeed then contact Customer Services to verify that you have a legal map and sort out your subscription(s), someone should speak English, if you persist ;)

CS España (Spain)
    Lunes-Viernes: 09:00-17:30
  • CarminatCarminat Posts: 989 [Revered Pioneer]
    I used that method several times, it works. You must be missing some detail.
  • Troubadix12Troubadix12 Posts: 1,994 [Revered Voyager]
    As I remember ...

There is one Case you can't copy the SD-Card. If the Map on the SD-Card is the original Version come with the Car and never updated via TomTom (I don't mean MapShare-updates), then the Map is bound to the SD-Card-Hardware-ID and not to the Carminat-ID or rather to your Account. This happens, because during assemble/imaging the SD-Cards TomTom don't know in which Car/Carminat the SD-Card later will be used.

Hope this helps

Regards

Troubadix12