Addresses through Contacts — TomTom Community

Addresses through Contacts

DLaiDLai Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
I downloaded the map of canada and alaska and i am trying to go to places in my contact list but it doesnt seem to find the addresses eventhough the address is complete with all the correct postal code. I am very frustrated and i was just about to renew my subscription for 1 year; but i cant do that when the maps are not working.

Comments

• tgoldtgold Posts: 2,119 [Revered Pioneer]
    In the menu item My Places, do you see a category named Contacts as the third line? And when you click on that item to open it, are any of your Contacts present and listed? For any shown as No address you will need to ensure that the address entry is set to TomTom's liking. And one way to ensure that is to use TomTom's Search to find the address and then study how TomTom displays that information.
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi Dlai,

Welcome to the Community!

Also if you search for a contact or find it as tgold advised you can add an address to it. Select a contact that shows No address and you'll be prompted to add an address to the contact by searching it in the app.

Cheers, Mikko
  • NukeThemAllNukeThemAll Posts: 52 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    This has been a TT GO problem since day zero. The app needs addresses entered in a certain way otherwise it get very confused and either can't find an address at all, or takes you 'somewhere else' that it thinks might be the address you wanted (but you didn't). I have looked at what works and what doesn't, and concluded that the 'secret method' of how to ensure that addresses are recognised is indeed very secret, known only to a select few within the TT tech team.

Seriously Mikko, your answer wasn't too helpful, perhaps you (or someone else) could please, please tell us users exactly how the GO app requires addresses to be entered - even if this method is country-specific
  • IanS100IanS100 Posts: 302 [Supreme Navigator]
    Or better still, use the same format that Google and every other app uses, why on earth TomTom has to use its own unique format is a bad enough, but why TT have to persist with one that clearly doesn't work, is a complete mystery. As NukeThemAll pointed out "This has been a TT GO problem since day zero", and oft complained about, so TT can't really say they don't know! :-(
  • NYTBNYTB Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    I just started using TT/Android and went to add someone from my directory, which TT found, then gave a message like "could not find." I discovered that the address book entries I had made all had ZIP+4 codes - e.g. "02141-1438." I edited out the "-1438" and it worked like a champ.

I used to have a signature block that said, "It's supposed to be annoying, it's a computer.":(
  • schneidernetschneidernet Posts: 209 [Exalted Navigator]
    I agree. Failure to find PROPERLY formatted addresses is TT's biggest problem. Fortunately Google is always standing by. And then there are the missing roads that Google manages to have.
    Indeed! I mostly use Google to carry out a search and pinpoint the desired location, then use the 'SendtoGPS' applet which allows me to transfer this location to any suitable navigation app, such as TT GO.
    Right, try again - let's hope my revised post is now acceptable to the moderators. OK.... I use the SendtoGPS app which enables me to use **any** search engine to find a location (which might be your contact in a format that most search engines will recognise) and then send this location to your favourite navigation app, which of course is TT GO.
    Right, try again - let's hope my revised post is now acceptable to the moderators. OK.... I use the SendtoGPS app which enables me to use **any** search engine to find a location (which might be your contact in a format that most search engines will recognise) and then send this location to your favourite navigation app, which of course is TT GO.

Thank you, or I could type the address into the search box in a format that TomTom understands, but that's missing the point, TomTom Go is an App designed specifically for navigation, and I would think one of the minimum requirements is that it recognise and understand "contacts" in Android standard format. It doesn't seem a lot to ask?
    It isn't too much to ask of the navigation app, I agree, but TT shows no appetite for fixing this. And as said earlier, even if TT can't or won't fix this, at least it could tell us exactly what format the address must be in, so that TT GO will recognise it, for example, house names must not be in quotes? Or, don't use commas (or do use) between the different lines of the address? Or....

To be fair to the app, nearly all of my contacts work fine as a valid TT GO destination, but I'm really struggling (despite experimentation) to find out what's wrong with the few that aren't recognised or send me to somewhere random with an address that has tenuous links to the one intended.
  • AsprinAsprin Posts: 271 [Supreme Pioneer]
    Here is the problem with addresses with TomTom

Test address from Belgium to Germany

First screen shot is how all other GPS app see an address.

88719215-37f4-42fb-9adf-72c1a75a0aa5.jpg

Now try this in TomTom and it can not find the address.

See TomTom format

f2489664-da15-4869-a43c-6ed25ec36d46.jpg

TomTom being the bottom address with DEU and not Duitsland

And that does not work even if it is changed to that.

So I do not know how to put the correct address in just so TomTom will work.

Not all address have this problem.

I tested this on the free version of TomTom but it should not be different on the paid version.
    It is the same app.
    It isn't too much to ask of the navigation app, I agree, but TT shows no appetite for fixing this. And as said earlier, even if TT can't or won't fix this, at least it could tell us exactly what format the address must be in, so that TT GO will recognise it, for example, house names must not be in quotes? Or, don't use commas (or do use) between the different lines of the address? Or....

To be fair to the app, nearly all of my contacts work fine as a valid TT GO destination, but I'm really struggling (despite experimentation) to find out what's wrong with the few that aren't recognised or send me to somewhere random with an address that has tenuous links to the one intended.

Asprin624: I've just added the Bremen address to my contacts using Germany instead of DEU etc, added it to my calender as an appointment, linked the address to TomTom Go and "Address Not Found", but link exactly the same added in exactly the same way to TomTom "My Drive" and straight there without a problem. I think TomTom need to sack the Go team and give it to the My Drive lot!
    For the US a TT address must be as - 123 Anystreet Rd, City ST Zip. No punctuation EVER except the Comma between the street address and City State lines. TT will also struggle with things like HWY or NW although I have yet to obtain a secret decoder ring.

I have also found TT to be almost useless in the once beautiful but now totally devastated US territory of Puerto Rico. Things are extremely bleak there. No roads, no power, no fuel, no medical, no water and 1,100 miles by sea from the US mainland. Relief is piled up stateside but struggling to find a way there. No lack of will, just the way.
  • kazfewkazfew Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    add my name to the list of people that just want to search their contacts from with in the app....... I find is odd that many of my contacts including ones with lat/long are searchable from Google contacts into the app but once inside they are no long searchable ???
    very frustrating because I just want a nav app that works LOL
    And still, two years later it still doesn't.