Triathlon training with Adventurer — TomTom Community

Triathlon training with Adventurer

K. BeeckmanK. Beeckman Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
edited January 2019 in TomTom Adventurer
Dear Community

I’m very happy with my TomTom adventurer, it does what it has to do.

I’m using this watch for triatlon training. So far so Good, buth i’ve been Reading that the Swimming function does not work in open water training.
Can you Guys come up with Some kind of triatlon function? that makes it possible to record your distance and speed while swimming in open water and easlsy switch from swimming to cycling to running. I think this is nessasary for not losing clients to Garmin.

Let me know what you think of the idea.

Thank you.

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,575
    Superusers
    There is no triathlon mode because they are not marketing or advertising it as a triathlon watch. TomTom specifically chose not to go after triathlons with this watch in the interest of attracting a wider audience who cross trains in multiple sports (the fact that the three sports happen to be in the triathlon is coincidence, not intent, they are the three most common non-team fitness activities). The TomTom lineup was never intended to be a triathlon watch and in the almost 5 years they have been out no triathlon features have been added so it does not appear they are going to change this. It was intended to be a MultiSport to allow users to train for the individual activities. It does not have open water swim, so it really would not work well anyway. The new versions are also not targeted at triathletes and do not have any triathlon mode, which pretty clearly indicates TomTom's perspective. If they have not included it on the existing watches in the last four years and have not included it on their newest models coming out, they pretty clearly are not looking to support triathlons. If you want a watch that does full triathlons with transitions, etc. you will need to purchase one of the higher priced models from another company designed and advertised for that purpose.

The watch does not support open water swimming using GPS, it is for pools only. Supporting open water swimming is much more complicated than pool swimming (which involves counting strokes and figuring out the stroke length). GPS cannot be detected underwater so it would need to time the GPS signal attainment with the split second the watch is above water on each stroke (assuming you are doing a stroke that brings your arms out of the water). This is a very difficult thing to compensate for and it has been a mixed bag on all devices, none of them do it perfectly well and many have not even tried, like TT (and Garmin on their more recent devices). What most users who want open water swimming do is to use freestyle mode and put the watch in their cap or on a safety buoy behind them so it stays out of the water. You will then get distance but will lose swim specific metrics, however.

Considering TT has left the wearables market and is not producing any new devices (and never even released the Adventurer in the US), I would assume at this point any updates will be limited to bug fixes (and even that may be limited - it has been over three months since the last update broke connectivity for many users and introduced battery drain issues and that is still unresolved). I would not expect much more development and certainly not something major particularly on the watch side (they may continue to tweak the MySports site and app, but not the watches themselves). They have made it clear in the past they have no intention of making a triathlon watch and they are not going to start now that they are no longer in the watch business.

I imagine this is not what you were hoping to hear but let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so other can look for it if they have the same question.