Bluetooth earphones music distorted — TomTom Community

Bluetooth earphones music distorted

sdiamondsdiamond Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]

I have a tom tom cardio 3 spark and received Bluetooth headphones. when running outside the music is distorted, as if signal is lost. is there anything that I can do or should I buy a new set of headphones?

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,169
    Superusers
    sdiamond wrote:
    I have a tom tom cardio 3 spark and received Bluetooth headphones. when running outside the music is distorted, as if signal is lost. is there anything that I can do or should I buy a new set of headphones?

The reception issues sound like the watch may not be on the same side of the body as the headphone antenna. The watch has a small power supply so it transmits a weaker signal than a phone or tablet so it is very sensitive to position. It really needs to be on the same side of the body as the antenna so your body doesn't block the signal. The human body is enough to block BT signals so as your arm swings it blocks the signal if it is not on the same side as the headphones. There are numerous factors that affect playback quality: the placement of the antenna in the headphones, the strength of the antenna, the strength of the signal produced by the watch (which is limited by transmission standards), the environment it is used in (which determines how much signal is lost versus bounced back to the headphones), battery strength of the headphones, etc.. The only thing a user can really impact is the location of the watch relative to the antenna headphone.

A new set of headphones may help, as most BT LE headphones should work, but some work better than others. Price seems to not be a factor as the cheaper ones often seem to work better than the expensive ones. This is due to the fact that cheap models are more likely to use the base BT protocols and not customize them for advanced features or settings like more expensive models do (and there is no way of knowing if a manufacturer has tweaked the protocols to take them out of compliance). This is a case where paying more will not increase the chances of connectivity, it may actually decrease it. There are thousands of models out there so there is no way for TT to test them all and since the manufacturers often tweak the BT settings in the headphones there is no way to know upfront if a pair will work or not. At a minimum they need to be BT LE and support A2DP and AVRCP, the two protocols necessary to play music. Your best bet is to buy them from someplace with a good return policy so if they don't work you can return them and try another brand.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • sdiamondsdiamond Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    as it happens the watch is worn on the opposite side of the earphones antenna. will swop it and give it a try.
  • PaulMcGPaulMcG Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Tried out my new Spark 3 cardio + music running watch today. Quite happy with it in general but very disappointed to be having the same sound distortion issues described above. One of the main reasons I bought the Spark was for the music playback feature. Went for a 10k run this evening and for about 50% of the time there was quite severe distortion/crackle. If I had known in advance that this was going to be an issue I definitely wouldn't have bought the watch (I would have stuck with my iPhone-Runkeeper-wired earphones combination). Please tell me there is a solution to this problem.
    Superusers
    If you are wearing the watch on the same side of the body as the headphones' antenna then there is not much else you can do.
  • fabiomarangon75fabiomarangon75 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I have exactly the same problem, but just outdoor. I also think that this is very bad and if I had ever known that before I wouldn't have bought the watch. Very disappointed :(
    Did anyone try something else for this annoying problem? What does the Tom Tom official tech support said about that?
    Superusers
    I have exactly the same problem, but just outdoor. I also think that this is very bad and if I had ever known that before I wouldn't have bought the watch. Very disappointed :(
    Did anyone try something else for this annoying problem? What does the Tom Tom official tech support said about that?

It is worse outdoors because there are no surfaces to reflect the signal back to the headphones like there are indoors.
  • Konrad PKonrad P Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I have exactly the same problem with tomtom headphones delivered with watch, music dropouts are terrible-it is not possible to listen to music -it is annoying, I wouldn't buy watch if I read this forum earlier.
    This is product design issue and it should be refunded by tomtom! headphones are not working with same brand watch!!
    Superusers
    Konrad P wrote:
    I have exactly the same problem with tomtom headphones delivered with watch, music dropouts are terrible-it is not possible to listen to music -it is annoying, I wouldn't buy watch if I read this forum earlier.
    This is product design issue and it should be refunded by tomtom! headphones are not working with same brand watch!!
    Are you wearing the watch on the same side as the antenna on the headphones (the side with the controls)?
  • BluerockdragonBluerockdragon Posts: 8 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I did have this problem, but fixed it.

I'm using cheap Bluetooth headphones (
  • BluerockdragonBluerockdragon Posts: 8 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I did have this problem, but fixed it.
    • I'm using cheap Bluetooth headphones (less than £20) and they always worked perfectly with the watch on the same side as the receiver.
    • I paired the headphones with my mobile, that worked great.
    • Used them with Spark 2 while still paired with mobile, and even although mobile was several km away, the signal drop out was terrible with Spark 2.
    • Unpaired the headphones from the mobile phone.
    • Great music once again from the Spark 2. No issues at all :-)
    Don't know the reason being paired with two devices was an issue but now I keep my Bluetooth headphones for running only.
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online in this Category0