Adventurer Connection Problems — TomTom Community

Adventurer Connection Problems

stevescorerstevescorer Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
edited January 2019 in TomTom Adventurer
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this community but was wondering if anyone could offer some advice.

I got an Adventurer for Christmas and love it but I have not been able to get it to connect to TomTom connect. I have tried three different computers all running Windows, 2 with Windows 7 and one with Windows 10. I can't see any AV or firewall settings that could be causing conflicts.

Bluetooth and connectivity to my phone is fine.

I can't access Fitness age at all, it isn't offered as a target.

My watch says I'm running software version 1.3.204

Does anyone have any advice you can offer as to howto get my watch to connect?

Thanks

Steve

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,851
    Superusers
    Are you getting any error messages when you plug the watch in or is it being recognized at all? Does the clock face change to a battery charging icon (which indicates it is getting power so there is a partial connection). A few things to look at (and I apologize if some are very basic but it is best to get past the obvious issues first):

1) Are you plugged directly into the machine and not a hub?
    2) Does the port work, can the computer detect other devices (like flash drives) in that port?
    3) Is the watch firmly snapped into the cradle and the USB plug firmly in the port?
    4) Is the USB plug free of any debris or blockages?
    5) Is the Connect software actually running (is there an icon for it in the notification area)?
    6) Did you install MySports Connect, not MyDrive Connect? It is downloaded from tomtom.com/123
    7) Do you have administrator rights to the computer?
    8) Is a firewall or antivirus running that is blocking the software from connecting to TomTom (try turning them off before docking the watch)?
    9) Does the computer have a good Internet connection (Internet is required to sync)?
    10) Can you try installing it on a different machine to determine if it is an issue with the computer versus the watch?

In particular, make sure it is fully snapped into the cradle. If it does not have a full connection it will charge but it will not be recognized by the computer. It seems simple but this is generally the issue. It needs to fully click into the cradle and it may help to take it out of the band to do so. Also check that none of the pins on the dock are bent or pressed in, as that will prevent a connection.

You won't get Fitness Age until you can connect to the computer and install the latest update but I would suggest not doing it if you plan on using a phone app as the update broke the connectivity for many people and added a battery drain issue for others. The Fitness Age and Points is a waste anyway, it is a capricious measure that is only taken when doing running and cycling and does not actually tie to anything.

If nothing above helps you may have a bad dock or there may be computer setting blocking it. At that point I would suggest calling Customer Support and seeing what they can do. They are able to more deeply investigate and diagnose problems than we can here on the user forum. To get the number for Customer Support, go to tomtom.com/support, choose Contact, enter the product name and click Phone Us. It will give you the phone number for the country your account is registered under (this can be changed by clicking the flag icon in the bottom right corner of the screen).

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • stevescorerstevescorer Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi and thanks for your response.

To answer some of your questions:
    • when I plug the watch into the usb the watch face changes to show it is charging.
    • I'm not getting any error messages on either the watch or the PC.
    • I'm plugged directly into the machine and fob drives, Garmins and other devices work without issue.
    • I have pushed the watch into onto the charger and think it is securely mounted. The usb is plugged firmly into the port.
    • The Plug does seem to be free of debris and blockages
    • Connect is running with an icon at he bottom of my screen
    • I have installed and reinstalled MySports Connect directly from the website http://tomtom.com/123 several times on different devices.
    • We have a 200mbps connection and and I have switched off all firewalls and other security measures on all PCs.
    Should there be a physical click when I plug the watch into the cradle? This isn't happening. The watch and the cradle simply push together.

Thanks for the tip on Fitness age - I think I may end up not using it anyway but would like to be able to upload routed in the future. This was why I was drawn to this device in the first place.

Thanks again for your response. Happy New Year!

Steve
  • stevescorerstevescorer Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hmmmm, I have just noticed that the second pin was significantly higher than the other 3 pins. I have get all pins level again but sadly, the dock still isn't working.

Thanks again.
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,851
    Superusers
    Hmmmm, I have just noticed that the second pin was significantly higher than the other 3 pins. I have get all pins level again but sadly, the dock still isn't working.

Thanks again.
    It sounds like a bad dock as it should click and all the pins should be identical. I would suggest calling Customer Support and they can send you a new cable. To get the number for Customer Support, go to tomtom.com/support, choose Contact at the bottom, select the service required and the product name and click Contact Customer Care and then Phone Us. It will give you the phone number for the country your account is registered under (this can be changed by clicking the flag icon in the bottom right corner of the screen).

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.