A couple of niggling issues with the Runner 3

OldThumperOldThumper Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
Hello all,

I have recently purchased the Tomtom runner 3 and so far its been a great watch. However I have two issues with it...

First issue is that when I go out for the day trail riding on my dirt bike the watch decides that I have done tens of thousands of steps and covered a ridiculous number of miles that day. I don't have any activity running eg gym or freestyle, I like to keep the watch on during my rides for the HR and calorie information. So to keep my daily activity tracking information accurate I'd like to delete the steps and distance accumulated on my rides, how would I go about doing that?
Or failing that, prevent my watch from logging steps and distance during my ride and only keeping track of the HR and calories?

Second issue is that during intense workouts such as crossfit my watch never reads an accurate HR, even during pauses in the workout. It usually hovers around 100bpm when I know my HR is definitely a lot higher than that. Is there anything I can do in order to better this accuracy during my workouts?

Many thanks,

Dan.

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 15,717 Superusers
    The activity tracker is detecting steps based on movement and incidental movement of your arm will be enough to trigger steps. It is not an exact science, it is meant to be directional guidance. For every extra step it picks up from brushing your teeth, or moving your arms while talking or driving, it is missing steps when you are walking pushing a cart or walking with your hands in your pockets. Again, it is meant to give you a directional view if you are active enough, not an exact count. I personally find it directionally accurate, in that during a day I am fairly active it is picking up more steps than on sedentary days. If it is off by a few hundred or a thousand steps I am not concerned, if I am several thousand short it means I need to get up and move around more. There is no way to edit steps data it is what it is.

There are two issues around heart rate using optical HR monitors, and these are on all devices, not just TT ones: low heart rate and HR spikes. Low HR is often seen in rowing, cycling and weight lifting. Any time you do an activity that squeezes or tenses the forearms (like the pull stroke in rowing, bearing down on your handlebars in cycling, or virtually any weight lifting move) you are squeezing the blood vessels the watch is reading, so it sees this as a reduced pulse. It is not that the watch is having a problem reading your pulse; it is that your pulse at the wrist has actually dropped because you are temporarily cutting off blood flow to the vessels it is reading. I have experienced this with every optical HR I have used, including a Mio and a Scosche unit. For these sorts of activities you are better off using a chest strap synced to the watch if getting a more exact reading is important to you. Based on numerous tests I have performed, I find that with weight training it is generally 5%-7% lower based on the wrist than the chest, so if I do not use the strap I just adjust accordingly.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.