Adventurer suggestions, wish list - missing features — TomTom Community

Adventurer suggestions, wish list - missing features

tijn10tijn10 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
edited January 2019 in TomTom Adventurer
Dear TomTom,

I would like to give some suggestions for the next update(s). Using the navigation function of the watch I discovered some missing features:
- Directions. If your route intersects itself (see for example https://www.strava.com/routes/8401354), it is not possible to see which way to go.
- Also when you come close the a left or right turn, the 735XT warns you by vibrating.
When you go off-route, after a short while it tells you you're off-route and when you are back on-route it also tells you.
That is especially convenient in combination with the following point:
- In the screen with information on speed, hearth rate, distance (depending on your choice of course)
I would like to get those route directions as well (if the route turns right or left).
- Between the pauze screen and ending the activity there should be an extra pop-up screen asking you if you are sure about ending the activity (yes = left, no = right).
Now it sometimes happens that from the activity screen you want to go to pauze but pressing it just a bit too long, and ... gone is your activity (saved, I know, but not complete).

Are there any plans for any of the above mentioned suggestions?

Sporty greetings,
Martijntje

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,851
    Superusers
    TomTom will not comment on planned or future updates publicly (here or elsewhere) so we will just have to wait and see. I would like to point out that the Forerunner is a $500 watch, so I would expect a more advanced feature set than the Adventurer, which is targeted at a much more budget price. The navigation feature is intentionally basic to go along with the whole watch, which is more no frills, not a lot of customization or user settings, etc.. Yhe Forerunner is a much more robust outdoor watch than the Adventurer, which is still basically a running watch.

I hope this helps, please let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • elboelbo Posts: 49 [Apprentice Traveler]
    @tfarabaugh. TomTom claims they listen to their customers, so it makes perfectly sence to tell them your whishes (on their own forum). Wheter they directly comment on or not is not relevant.

(I do realise 'we listen to are customers' is something only said in the marketing department, but that's a different discussion)
    Superusers
    It is relevant to the question the original poster asked, which was "Are there any plans for any of the above mentioned suggestions?". They are going to be waiting a long time if they are expecting an answer to this question, which is why I told them that TT will not comment on it. Whether TT listens to their customers or not is another matter altogether.
  • mcaran1979mcaran1979 Posts: 39 [Outstanding Explorer]
    tfarabaugh wrote:
    TomTom will not comment on planned or future updates publicly (here or elsewhere) so we will just have to wait and see. I would like to point out that the Forerunner is a $500 watch, so I would expect a more advanced feature set than the Adventurer, which is targeted at a much more budget price. The navigation feature is intentionally basic to go along with the whole watch, which is more no frills, not a lot of customization or user settings, etc.. Yhe Forerunner is a much more robust outdoor watch than the Adventurer, which is still basically a running watch.

I hope this helps, please let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.

Yhe Forerunner is a much more robust outdoor watch than the Adventurer Have you ever had one in your hand? I did...I think you refer to the Fenix!

I would like to point out that the Forerunner is a $500 watch, so I would expect a more advanced feature set than the Adventurer, Nonsense!!! This featrure is also available on the Forerunner 235 and it's actually an app which you can install on the watch. And the forerunner cost 279 at this moment in the Netherlands.

So it's really not a point of money but the fact that TT is not able to transalte the consumer wishes to real world features.
    Superusers
    They specifically mentioned the 735XT, which is a more robust device (in my opinion) and is listed at $449.99 US: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/541225.

Again, the point of my response was to level set expectations regarding the question of whether their suggested updates/features would get a response from TT (it won't). They are not invalid requests, but based on the history of TT and where they fall in the market, they may not happen and TT won't comment on it in any case (right, wrong or otherwise).
  • PrestoPresto Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi,
    I’d like to add some more ideas:

1.Emergency menu/activity
    A menu or an activity which shows the current GPS coordinates and the precision. Also, pulse and altitude. Depending on the location, the official emergency numbers (112, 911, CB 9...) could be shown. In case of an emergency while hiking, trail running etc. one can precisely tell where he is. It would also make sense to lock the location where an injured person is.

2. Re-calibration of the barometer
    It seems that the sensor for altitude is only calibrated once when starting an activity. When coming back to the start of a hike after some time, I often have huge differences in height. It would be good to re-calibrate sometimes when the GPS signal is good enough.

3. Weather alert
    In addition to the above, it could be measured how much the air pressure is changing because of the weather. If the pressure while re-calibrating the altimeter is falling rapidly it could indicate a weather change and the watch could warn. Of course the GPS needs to be used more often to detect this.

4. Count-Down timer

What do you think?
  • Floris92Floris92 Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Presto wrote:
    Hi,
    I’d like to add some more ideas:

1.Emergency menu/activity
    A menu or an activity which shows the current GPS coordinates and the precision. Also, pulse and altitude. Depending on the location, the official emergency numbers (112, 911, CB 9...) could be shown. In case of an emergency while hiking, trail running etc. one can precisely tell where he is. It would also make sense to lock the location where an injured person is.

2. Re-calibration of the barometer
    It seems that the sensor for altitude is only calibrated once when starting an activity. When coming back to the start of a hike after some time, I often have huge differences in height. It would be good to re-calibrate sometimes when the GPS signal is good enough.

3. Weather alert
    In addition to the above, it could be measured how much the air pressure is changing because of the weather. If the pressure while re-calibrating the altimeter is falling rapidly it could indicate a weather change and the watch could warn. Of course the GPS needs to be used more often to detect this.

4. Count-Down timer

What do you think?

I definitely agree with 2 and 3. I would have expected more benefits of the combination of a barometer and gps, and hope they will be made available in the future! Maybe they could also consider an option like 'barometer only' to save energy. And manual calibration of altitude (when you arrive at a place where a sign with the altitude is placed).
  • IsserIsser Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hello,
    what i would like to see is

For the watch: (normal watch stuff)
    -time zones
    -multiple faces (self placing info from the tracking part)
    -multi alarms
    -a timer
    -a sound off switch
    -full date and seconds in the time

For the adventure part:
    -set a go home point that you can follow with the compass to get back (not a activity)
    -see info ,all the gps coordinates, heights ,slope etc...
    -weather prediction
    -night /day cycle
    -air pressure

For the tracking part:
    -multiple goals with status on the watch
    -water intake
    -a activity with reps , sets
    -a inactivity alarm
    - more motivational suggestions for achieving your goals

Thanks
    isserhugo
  • Ewald TEwald T Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi,

What I would REALLY like to have on my Adventurer is a live steps-per-minute feature. As it is now, you can see your average steps-per-minute after a race, but I would like to see the steps-per-minute while I run, because it gives me really valuable information that can help me approve my running. What do you think?

Thanks,
    Ewald T
  • bbostjanbbostjan Posts: 15 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Reading this thread I found there are some great ideas here. I totally support #1 of Presto: emergency anything! I've never had the situation yet (hopefully never will), but I bet if it comes in handy once and save one life out of all the users in all the activities we do, it is worth making it.
    My own biggest wish is to have the watch programmed to be able to connect the watch during the activity to power bank (or any source of energy) without soft reset.

I plan on going for a 100 miler in January and last years winners set 25h 50' course finish time, all the rest (52 competitors /20 finishers) was at 30+ hours on the course. The course is not marked well but has excellent GPS track, and I am really confident using gpx with Adventurer. It helped me in my last 4 races this year and it was pinpoint accurate. The problem is I plan to finish the race in 28-32 hours, but the battery will only last for about 12 hours in hike mode (with GPS track on display). There will be 6 aid stations on the course, but it is time consuming to wait for half an hour for watch to get enough juice to get me through to the next station (w/o worrying).
    It would be perfect to carry let's say 20A power bank with me and whenever there would be the urge, connect the power bank for an hour and feed the monster.:cool:
  • KatieGKatieG Posts: 6 [Apprentice Traveler]
    My main issues and suggestions involve connectivity.
    I'd love to be to be able to sync my watch with no data. I'd also love to be able to use activities as a route without having to use My Sports. One of the things that attracted me was the ability to use a previously walked route as a new route, perhaps to return home. I thought I saw this in the promo video. If this is possible and I've missed it, I apologise, but I haven't manage to find the function. Also, the idea of "adventure" doesn't always involve a wifi signal.
  • Richard66Richard66 Posts: 5 [Neophyte Traveler]
    New outdoor Adventures like,

Sailing
    Ice Skeating,
    Superusers
    Richard66 wrote:
    New outdoor Adventures like,

Sailing
    Ice Skeating,
    Considering TT has left the wearables market and is not producing any new devices (and never even released the Adventurer in the US), I would assume at this point any updates will be limited to bug fixes. I would not expect much more development and certainly not something major like new sports modes.
  • memphis_ESPmemphis_ESP Posts: 11 [Outstanding Explorer]
    show the battery level would be cool!
    Superusers
    They already do. Go to About and there is a battery bar. A percentage would be no more accurate than a bar, the battery level is a rough estimate as there are a lot of factors that play into how it drains.
  • memphis_ESPmemphis_ESP Posts: 11 [Outstanding Explorer]
    tfarabaugh wrote:
    They already do. Go to About and there is a battery bar. A percentage would be no more accurate than a bar, the battery level is a rough estimate as there are a lot of factors that play into how it drains.

I was talking about the main screen.
    Superusers
    tfarabaugh wrote:
    I was talking about the main screen.
    That has been requested numerous time and the answer has consistently been no. It takes two button clicks to get to the About screen so it is probably considered not worth the effort.

Since TT has left the wearables market they really have no incentive to pursue this, they are not producing new watches, just selling out the stock they have and then it will be legacy support, I do not see them throwing any money after a market they have given up on.
  • 1221Belm1221Belm Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Just tagging in as some sort of wish list is being created.
    What i would like to see as a feature of my £260 TomTom Adventurer would to be for it to just work. Just connect to my phone after a workout soon as I've done a recorded session then for it to look for my phone and upload. Dont care about text messages or any of that other crap. Just for it to connect and download.
    As you can see i have very simple needs so perhaps this could go to the top of the list seeing as its suposed to work like this, was sold to me as would work like this but overall has never worked like this.

Just a thought TomTom you know i'm sure its not to much to ask for it to work.
    But I doubt it ever will.