Distance precision problems — TomTom Community

Distance precision problems

TimSummersTimSummers Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
edited January 2019 in Runner & Multi-Sport
Hi, I purchased a TomTom GPS watch, model 8RS00, I love everything about it except for the precision, and unfortunately that is the most important thing. Is this common for this model GPS watch? Some workouts can vary by 0.2 to 0.3 miles per mile. It does not sound like much, but when running five miles over the same route, the distance my watch reports can vary as much as 0.15 miles for the total run which is extremely frustrating. Any advice besides buying a new watch?

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 15,901 Superusers
    A variance in distance between devices and activities is totally normal. The nature of consumer grade GPS is that each data point collected is only accurate to within 15m-30m of your actual location. We give it a lot more credit than it deserves, it is not exact, it is an estimate. The watch collects the data points and then tries to figure out a route using them (considering that some points may overlap or duplicate) and a corresponding speed. The watch then smooths the data to come up with the most reasonable route taken according to the algorithm it is programmed with. This is why every watch, even two of the same model, will come up with different distances and speeds, as they are collecting different GPS data every time. I find the TT watches are among the most accurate out there, far better than the Suunto's and Garmin's I have owned.

I imagine this is not what you were hoping to hear but let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so other can look for it if they have the same question.
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online in this Category0