Headphones uncomfortable

patpalloonpatpalloon Posts: 105 [Master Explorer]
The headphones for my Spark Cardio + Music arrived within a week, so was very impressed! However, I am finding them extremely uncomfortable to wear. The problem for me is the in-ear ear buds. My other headphones which I wear all the time for my phone, mp3 etc are in-ear but the earpiece doesn't go in to the ear canal, they have the little foam pads on them and are very comfortable. The problem with these ear buds is that I just can't get them in my ears, even the small ones. I don't know if my ear canals are particularly small, but it really hurt and I had to stop as it was really making my ears sore. I've tried opening my jaw, lifting the ear etc. I just wondered if I am doing something wrong as I have not used this type of earbud before and if anyone has any tips?

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 15,717 Superusers
    patpalloon wrote:
    The headphones for my Spark Cardio + Music arrived within a week, so was very impressed! However, I am finding them extremely uncomfortable to wear. The problem for me is the in-ear ear buds. My other headphones which I wear all the time for my phone, mp3 etc are in-ear but the earpiece doesn't go in to the ear canal, they have the little foam pads on them and are very comfortable. The problem with these ear buds is that I just can't get them in my ears, even the small ones. I don't know if my ear canals are particularly small, but it really hurt and I had to stop as it was really making my ears sore. I've tried opening my jaw, lifting the ear etc. I just wondered if I am doing something wrong as I have not used this type of earbud before and if anyone has any tips?

Are you using the TT headphones? Are you wearing them properly? A lot of people put them in upside down the first time. The controls should be on your left side with the wire behind your head. The stiff curved section of wire goes over the ear, acting as an ear cuff to hold them in place. The rubber tip goes it the ear canal, but not too deep and the plastic pod should fit within the earlobe. I find them among the more comfortable headphones I own personally but fit will be a personal thing. Other than switching the size of the rubber gaskets there is not much you can do if they are worn properly. As you said, you may just have small ear canals and you may be better off with over the ear headphones than with in ear models.

I hope this helps, please let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • patpalloonpatpalloon Posts: 105 [Master Explorer]
    Hi, yes they were the TT headphones that I applied for once I got the Spark. I'm pretty sure I was trying to fit them properly. I downloaded the manual and the instructions were pretty clear. I have used a pair of in-ear buds once before for waterproof headphones for swimming and they were ok to wear. I'd be interested to hear from other users whether they have experienced the same problem, so I will leave it as unanswered for the time being.
    I like these ones - I usually wear with foam ear pads.
    49ac32d9-2c04-4de9-871e-dc34c17e7808.jpg

I can't get on with this type, they won't fit my ear.
    81c388b8-e2b2-4f9f-8ccb-61308336f8e9.jpg

These ones are ok:
    e93191af-6916-425b-8b76-d1d10eda28c1.jpg

The question is, can I get bluetooth versions of no1 and 3?
    patpalloon wrote:
    The question is, can I get bluetooth versions of no1 and 3?

You can actually get a BT adapter which you can link to the watch and then plug wired headphones into. It is a very small pod (the size of a matchbook) that you can clip onto your clothing or slip into a pocket. This way you can use whatever headphones you like, wired or wireless. Here is an example of one, but there are hundreds available:

http://www.amazon.com/Jumbl-Bluetooth-Hands-Free-Streaming-Receiver/dp/B00UUDZLB0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1461687585&sr=8-3&keywords=headphone+bluetooth+adapter
    Thanks for the suggestion above, but these saved the day! - A set of triple flange replacement earbuds made of very soft silicone, so gentle on the ear canal. They fit on the supplied TomTom bluetooth headphones no problem and at last I can wear them and they fit my ears, so I can hear the bass properly and external noise is suppressed. And they were only £3.99 and arrived the next day!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/6042058231/ref=cfb_ai_prodpg
  • ServiaUKServiaUK Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Just purchased these off Amazon as like yourself, the bass is dreadful and they keep falling out .. also clip works lose at back !
    I gave up on the tt headphones in the end. Got some philips run free £30 from argos and so much better. Ear buds but don't go down the ear canal and has a clever little look that fits inside the ear cartilage so won't fall out even when you sweat.
  • ServiaUKServiaUK Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thx for the tip .. do they synch with the TT Spark ?
  • SAMrunnerSAMrunner Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    tfarabaugh wrote:
    patpalloon wrote:

Are you using the TT headphones? Are you wearing them properly? A lot of people put them in upside down the first time. The controls should be on your left side with the wire behind your head. The stiff curved section of wire goes over the ear, acting as an ear cuff to hold them in place. The rubber tip goes it the ear canal, but not too deep and the plastic pod should fit within the earlobe. I find them among the more comfortable headphones I own personally but fit will be a personal thing. Other than switching the size of the rubber gaskets there is not much you can do if they are worn properly. As you said, you may just have small ear canals and you may be better off with over the ear headphones than with in ear models.

I hope this helps, please let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.

I don't think this is right, the controls go on the right ear. At least, they do with mine. (Tomtom runner 3)

This type...

https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/sports/accessories/headphones/bluetooth-black-headphone/
    SAMrunner wrote:

I don't think this is right, the controls go on the right ear. At least, they do with mine. (Tomtom runner 3)
    /

You are replying to a post that is well over a year old. They have since introduced newer earphones which switched the controls to the right. For good reception you need to wear the watch on the same side as the controls as that is where the antenna is.