Tom Tom Carminat (Renault) how to install onto blank SD Card — TomTom Community

Tom Tom Carminat (Renault) how to install onto blank SD Card

CarpykenCarpyken Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
edited January 31 in Built in car navigation
Recently tried to update my SD card and when I inserted it into my computer the SD Card was not recognised by TomTom Home so tried the laptop and had same issue so thought it was the SD Card at fault reason I say that as when I opened the SD Card to view my files the card was full (8gb Genuine card from TomTom) and no files were stored on the card according to the system.

Thought A reformat and a fresh install would be a viable option (How wrong was I) having searched the internet for answers on how to reinstall tomtom onto my SD Card I'm drawing a blank everytime I open my TomTom home it reports that no device is connected yet I have my SD card plugged into the system.

any advice would be greatly appreciated. Have put the SD card into the car switched on left for 30 seconds switched off car and put back into my computer but still no joy.

Comments

• CarminatCarminat Posts: 951 [Revered Pioneer]
    Are you sure this is Carminat? - the symptoms you describe fit with Renault R-Link system which doesn't use Home. Have you previously updated the card using TT Home?
    Where there's a will, there's a wake.
  • CarpykenCarpyken Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    I have previously used TT Home for updates when I first purchased the car last April (Brand New) going by photos of what Renault uses this is the Sat Nav that I have in my vehicle.

Many thanks for the prompt reply
    That's strange - I thought Renault had discontinued Carminat and now only had R-Link multimedia system installed for the last couple of years or more (my Kangoo was August 2013, was publicised as Carminat - which I wanted because I had it in my previous Kangoo - but came with the new system R-Link - which is dreadful).

So, to recap and confirm....

1. You HAVE previously used TomTom Home to update THAT card.
    2. It is not now recognised by TT Home.
    3. When you looked at the card it said the card is full, but did not show any files on the card.

You have now formatted the card, then put it into the car and switched on for 30 seconds, then taken the card out and TT Home says no device connected.

So I'm stumped. Formatting and putting into the car should have initialised the card for use with Home. Do you have on your PC a backup copy of the card (did Home ever do a backup)?
    Haven spent time in the car this afternoon it is a R Link system mustve been my previous renault that used the Tom Tom software - My apologises. Looks like I'll have to get in contact with the dealership or Renault directly to solve the issue.
    Did you actually format the Renault card? If so, your only solution is Renault.

Probably the EASIEST way is to buy a new card from the dealership because dealing with Renault direct is a nightmare. Although I don't expect they'll have it in stock so they'll have to order it and it WILL cost an absolute fortune.

The R-Link uses software called R-Link Toolbox and you need to have the car registered (by its VIN number) on the R-Link Store.

https://gb.rlinkstore.com/en/myvirtualgarage
    Here's a link to buy online, but you'd best give them a phone call on the number they show to make sure you get the right one. Make sure it's for the R-Link, not Carminat.

http://www.renaultpartsdirect.co.uk/product/renault-sd-card-standard-maps/
    I spoke with R Link earlier who have informed me that the R Link version doesn't work like the tom tom version where you can reinstall the data yourselves it's a trip to the dealership.

Haven spoken with them they also informed me that its possible the R Link software corrupted the card and that I should be able to have a replacement card sourced foc from Renault
    Yes, I know only too well that R-Link doesn't work the same as Carminat etc. Good luck with getting a foc replacement card - in fact you formatted yours after trying to use it with TT Home, so if you tell them that, I expect they'll say you did the damage, not R-Link.

When you do get a replacement card, you should consider making backup copies (I actually run mine from a backup card so that I keep the Renault one safe. I have often had a map update corrupt the card when I buy and download a map update. But there goes another story - I haven't been able to buy a recent map for many months!
  • SerqSerq Posts: 1
    Hello,

I lost my Rlink SD card. Then I bought a new blank SD card. I want to use this one on Rlink. I need the files that the original one includes. Can anybody share the TOMTOM.000,001... files with me.
    Shared files will not work. The system links to the in-car device and is not transferable between cars. Your only option is to buy a new card from Renault - they will want a lot of money for it.