Many Problems Including Crashes, Freezes, Rain Activated Screen, Charging Problems...

MonkehMonkeh Posts: 28 [Legendary Explorer]
edited January 11 in RIDER
This is an email i sent to tomtom a few days ago, i still havent had a reply yet.

Hello, Ive had the Rider 40 for a good while now and ive lived with the problems its had hoping for the update to fix them and some of them were but its got to a stage now where the device is unusable.

The first major problem is that it randomly crashes and wont restart, i have to keep resetting it until it boots up properly, see here:

The next major one is the thing is useless in the rain, wherever the rain touches the screen it presses it and causes erratic behavior its also really hard to use with wet gloves for the same reason.

Next is the problem with poor audio quality if you have a phone data connection active, this hasnt been fixed since the start,

Since the last update (which seemed to go fine) my rider will not connect to mydrive, it just says connecting even if left for an hour, Ive tried soft and hard resets but still no luck. However this was the final straw and i now want to return it to either get all these problems fixed or be refunded.

This product is sold as a motorcycle satnav but isn't fit for purpose.
It doesnt work as described with a headset
It doesnt work in the rain
The route planning classes every waypoint as a stop
Planning a windy route takes forever as the device is so slow or it simply crashes and you have to start over.
Route sharing is very poor
screen randomly rotates or goes slow so you miss turns
Sometimes the device only charges up to 75%

These are just some of the problems i can think of right now.
Regards Karl

Comments

• MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi Monkeh,

I'm sorry to hear of your issues!

As some of the indicate hardware faults, I'll ask my colleague to get back to you for organising a replacement for you.

Cheers, Mikko
  • NikhileshNikhilesh Posts: 416 TomTom Employee
    Hello Monkeh,

I can see you have already contacted Customer Support.

They will sort this out for you.

Should you have further questions on this please revert back on the same incident so they can help you better.

Regards,
    Nikhilesh
  • MonkehMonkeh Posts: 28 [Legendary Explorer]
    Yes i have been contacted but they didnt offer any help for the 2 major problems, the crashing and freezing as seen in the video, and the screen being activated by rain and wet gloves causing erratic behavior.
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 7,499 TomTom Moderator
    Hi Monkeh

I reviewed the incident you have started with the customer service, I believe they are booking an RMA for a replacement which should cover the issues you mentioned.

I have sent a heads up to the customer service about as well.

Regards
    Vikram
    Have a question? Ask!
    Did a reply resolve your query, please mark it as answer!
    Try the search; the information you are looking for could already be available.
    Well i received the replacement today, All the paperwork said was mine wasnt repairable. Ive not had a chance to use it yet but im still not able to connect to mydrive. When i plug it in to the computer it says add a new device but always fails to add it. The TT says its connected though. ipconfig shows the device.
    Ive tried reinstalling mydrive and soft and hard resets.
    Im just trying on an old laptop now.

Well it seems to be working fine on the laptop, it added itself and is now updating the map etc.

Any ideas why my desktop wont connect to it? Its worked fine for the last 18 months until the last update
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi Monkeh,

I've reset your account so that your old device is no longer registered into it. Please, try again now.

For MyDrive Connect troubleshooting tips, please see this FAQ.

Cheers, Mikko
    I still cant connect to the device, it works fine on the laptop so its definitely a problem with my desktop. Ive contacted support and sent them a load of screenshots and msinfo, so hopefully they will spot something thats wrong.
    It seems that the tomtom isnt being assigned an ip address (DHCP?) and as such wont connect to the internet
    Still useless with gloves, still unusable in the rain. Still useless with headset.
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 7,499 TomTom Moderator
    Monkeh wrote:
    Still useless with gloves, still unusable in the rain. Still useless with headset.

I have sent a heads up to the customer service about this. They will be getting in touch with you for further assistance.

Regards
    Vikram
    Have a question? Ask!
    Did a reply resolve your query, please mark it as answer!
    Try the search; the information you are looking for could already be available.
  • Marcel van EllenMarcel van Ellen Posts: 8 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Agree with Monkeh. Device is sold as motorcycle navigation but the waterresitance is far from good.
    Have my third replacement now.. Software is great. Hardware is ***** (not so great) :(
    Shame on tomtom for the last repair for moisture behind screen...... Took them about one and a half month to figure out the battery was not charging. Sorry??!! This one was send back for moisture.. :?
  • evert123evert123 Posts: 15 [Novice Seeker]
    VikramK wrote:
    Monkeh wrote:

I have sent a heads up to the customer service about this. They will be getting in touch with you for further assistance.

Regards
    Vikram
    What will the assistance be? Monkeh isn't the only one with these 3 mentioned problems!!
  • BelgiumRider400BelgiumRider400 Posts: 35 [Apprentice Traveler]
    +1 for me AGAIN! The GPS that just keeps on disappointing.