Tunnels on Tomtom Go 6000 — TomTom Community

Tunnels on Tomtom Go 6000

J FarrugiaJ Farrugia Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
edited January 2019 in Travel lounge
Are there any plans to include navigation through tunnels on Tomtom? My in-car navigator, Becker, has a tunnel app which I find very useful when navigating the tunnels in Paris and Brussels. It would be great to have this facility on Tomtom too which is the navigator I prefer.

Comments

• bigbig Posts: 1,660
    Superuser
    Not sure what you mean. I've never had a problem navigating through tunnels. Plus even though there isn't a signal in tunnels I find the TomTom estimates the vehicle's position best it can based on what it thinks the normal speed is.

Is the problem that a tunnel won't be included as part of the route? Or it doesn't know about a particular tunnel? Or something else?
  • J FarrugiaJ Farrugia Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    The problem is that in complex underground tunnel systems as in Paris and even Brussels, Tomtom GO stops navigating i.e. indicating which tunnel junction to take.
    Superuser
    I suppose the TomTom is somewhat limited in that case. There are no GPS signals inside tunnels so the best it can do is estimate where you are based upon when the tunnel was entered and approximating your speed based upon historical data. In a complex system where junctions exist it would be just a guess where you should turn.
  • J FarrugiaJ Farrugia Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    That’s what I said in my original post but my in-car navigator, Becker, have somehow solved the issue with an add-on tunnels app which cost me the grand sum of €9.
    Superuser
    Thought the app was only a map. The only thing I can surmise is the built-in navigator has access to the car's speed information, so it can navigate "blind". The TomTom, unfortunately, calculates speed only via GPS coordinates.
  • Tomek398Tomek398 Posts: 25 [Master Traveler]
    I remember that old units were equipped with "Enhanced Positioning Technology" From TomTom advert:

" Enhanced Positioning Technology: gives you uninterrupted navigation, even in tunnels or highly built-up areas"

http://corporate.tomtom.com/releasedetail.cfm?releaseid=318538
    https://www.tomtom.com/lib/doc/GO930datasheet.pdf
  • dmulvdmulv Posts: 675
    Superuser
    That would likely be with an accelerometer and/or gyro sensor, and I've a feeling the latest models don't have those :frowning2: