Tom Tom Spark 3 Tracker is searching for GPS Indefinitely and cannot find GPS coordinates

dsu
dsu Registered Users Posts: 2
Apprentice Traveler
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
I am trying to track my run with TomTom Spark 3 and after waiting for 1 minute it still can't find coordinates. (The indicator (top left corner of the screen) showing that it is trying to find gps is flashing indefinitely)

I tried
1) turn on and off my watch using the MacOS TomTom Connect desktop application
2) Recalibrating the compass
3) Factory reset.

None of these seem to work.

Also:
My strap broke a week ago and I am using a third party strap, but I doubt this affects GPS.

Comments

• tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,949
     Superuser
    Are you updating the QuickGPS file a minimum of every three days by syncing the watch? This caches the expected satellite locations and makes for quicker attainment. Also do not try to get signal while moving, you are just making it harder on the watch. Best to just sit still with the button pointing skyward (or take it off and place it on a flat surface) until it finds the GPS. Make sure the watch is in an unobstructed area without large buildings, tree cover or reflective surfaces as this will cause a lot of interference. It will also take longer the first time you are in a new location but will speed up thereafter as it caches the location data for that spot. Once you get the Go it is best to give it another minute or two as Go is just the minimum satellites locked on. The longer you wait the more it will grab and the better your signal will be. If after syncing you are not getting a check mark for QuickGPS on the About menu, follow these steps to power cycle the watch which may fix it:

1) Connect to MySports Connect, then press CTRL (Windows) or CMD (MAC) on your keyboard while you hover your mouse over the reset button.
    2) You'll see the reset button turns into a "Turn Off" button.
    3) Hit that, disconnect the watch and the screen will go dead.
    4) Reconnect the watch and it will wake up and quick fix should now update as usual.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • dsu
    dsu Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Traveler
    Thanks. After going outside after doing a factory reset the watch was able to get GPS. As you explained the first time took long to find but the 2nd time to get GPS was a matter of seconds. To add, I am currently traveling in a different country which explains the longer wait time (I originally could not find GPS when in Hong kong but was able to get GPS after attempting a reset in Singapore ), since the location data is not cached.
  • tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,949
     Superuser
    The rest updated the QuickGPS fix, which needs to be updated at least every three days. I am glad I could help. When you get a chance please mark my response as a solution so others with the same question can look for it.