Connecting the Rider 450 to power - what do I need? — TomTom Community

Connecting the Rider 450 to power - what do I need?

bbkttbbktt Posts: 5 [New Seeker]
edited January 29 in RIDER
I've just ordered a Rider 450 premium. It won't arrive until the weekend, but I have my motorcycle booked in for a service on Wednesday and I need to know whether to prepare anything - I was thinking (even before the Rider) of asking them to install a 12v socket in the motorcycle - would the Rider need this?
Does it connect direct to the battery? If so would it draw power when the motorcycle is off? Would it be better to connect it to a 12v socket? Or another option is to add a usb socket (through an optimate lead)?
In short, how will it connect to power and is there anything I should have the garage do on Wednesday...?
Thanks

Comments

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,960 Superusers
    Hi
    What's the Make and Model of the Bike, some bikes are pre-wired some bikes you can buy a readymade lead
    The Bike Mount connects to a 12volt supply

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'
    I've always hard wired mine with a switched live (comes on and goes off with the ignition)

On the NC750X (I think) you should find some unused switched feeds in the fuse box but I'm sure someone on the nc700 forum will point you to something suitable. You can use anything really that doesn't stay live, the horn feed is usually easy to get to.
  • bbkttbbktt Posts: 5 [New Seeker]
    Thanks. Does that mean it would not connect to the 12v socket? In which case there's no point having a 12v socket installed when I visit the garage tomorrow. I'm just looking for the simplest solution for power connections as I have zero expereince wiring things...
  • RTwoRTwo Posts: 53 [Master Traveler]
    I wouldn't use a socket, too messy IMO

You can if you want but it just adds to the loose cables around the bars, I have a factory fitted socket on mine but don't use it for anything other than plugging in an Optimate when it's sat in the garage.
    As ever though, it's horses for courses whatever suits you
  • Ste7iosSte7ios Posts: 725 Superuser
    NC750 provides the necessary line to power various accessories. The line is switched and you need to purchase the subharness kit. It contains the necessary subharness, a relay and a fuse.

You may also purchase some Sumitomo MTW 110 3-way plugs to make it plug n play, like all Honda's accessories...
  • bbkttbbktt Posts: 5 [New Seeker]
    thanks!
  • CrystalbarnCrystalbarn Posts: 60 [Legendary Explorer]
    The Rider 450 mount is already fused so no need for a fuse, and the device comes with a power lead that should be connected to a source only live when ignition switched on. Your headlight live/earth is a good power source... The power lead also has a connector a few inches from the mount that you can disconnect when needed i.e.: to remove the mount etc
  • JoelS.JoelS. Posts: 286 [Exalted Navigator]
    The Rider 450 mount is already fused so no need for a fuse, and the device comes with a power lead that should be connected to a source only live when ignition switched on. Your headlight live/earth is a good power source... The power lead also has a connector a few inches from the mount that you can disconnect when needed i.e.: to remove the mount etc

is the fuse replaceable ?? or it smokes the mount ??
  • CrystalbarnCrystalbarn Posts: 60 [Legendary Explorer]
    Joel S. wrote:

is the fuse replaceable ?? or it smokes the mount ??

I have no idea, all I know is installation instructions say no need for fuse because mount is already fused. I only installed mine yesterday and am sorely dissapointed with it. I have many issues with it so can't reccomend it.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,960 Superusers
    Hi
    As far as I'm aware it's a surface mount fuse not easily replaceable

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'
    As far as I'm aware it's a surface mount fuse not easily replaceable

ATB YFM

my understanding as well, thanks
  • gsxrwwgsxrww Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi, I have a '08 BMW R1200RT, and have purchased a Rider 450 premium. Does the rider 450 require a 12V feed or a 5V feed when using the cradle with power connector? Do I need a 12V to 5 V regulator when using the non USB cradle?
  • Ste7iosSte7ios Posts: 725 Superuser
    The motorcycle mount just needs a 12V line (switched to avoid battery parasitic drain).

The car mount kit includes a car charger (12V to 5V / USB).

Have in mind BMW’s CAN Bus, you cannot connect anything you want easily, but you may have a dedicated line for GPS connection.
  • gsxrwwgsxrww Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi thank you for your prompt reply, yes I have found the dedicated GPS line under the headstock so will use that for the 450.