Syncing with Strava — TomTom Community

Syncing with Strava

bigroddobigroddo Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
I currently use the tom-tom adventurer watch for all MTB use, I have recently noticed that when I sync the tom-tom to Strava there is discrepancies with some of the data recorded.. the main one is elevation climbed/gained.. this can be as much as 200 metres off. It will record say 450mtr climb on the watch and on the app/web page but when I look at strava for times etc, it shows me climbing 650mtr...

Does anyone have any solutions as to why this happens, and what can be done to rectify the issue..

Cheers
Rod.

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,684
    Superusers
    Every site or platform has a different way of handling the data it imports. Some take the data as is while others reprocess it and apply their own calculations and smoothing algorithms to it. This second instance will result in discrepancies between the watch and the site, causing issues like you are seeing. Strava recalculates all data and applies its own elevation model to the data so it will come up with different results. There is nothing you can do to change this, TT has tried to get Strava to not recalculate in the past but Strava will not comply.

Glad I could help. When you get a chance please mark my response as a solution so others with the same question can look for it.
  • Stuart McDonaldStuart McDonald Posts: 759 [Exalted Navigator]
    bigroddo wrote:
    I currently use the tom-tom adventurer watch for all MTB use, I have recently noticed that when I sync the tom-tom to Strava there is discrepancies with some of the data recorded.. the main one is elevation climbed/gained.. this can be as much as 200 metres off. It will record say 450mtr climb on the watch and on the app/web page but when I look at strava for times etc, it shows me climbing 650mtr...

Does anyone have any solutions as to why this happens, and what can be done to rectify the issue..

Cheers
    Rod.
    Hi, There is a current issue with total elevation change when exporting to Strava. The first value is usually zero which causes the total to be too high (since the change from 0 to the actual height is large). This is fixed in the next server update (this Thursday I think it goes to production).
    Regards,
    Stuart.
  • bigroddobigroddo Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thanks for the comments guys, very helpful..here's hoping Strava get their finger out and resolve the problems..