Broken strap TomTom Spark - no reply from support — TomTom Community

Broken strap TomTom Spark - no reply from support

Sao1969Sao1969 Posts: 5 [Neophyte Traveler]
Hi,
Anyone else had problems with the strap breaking for the original spark?
Mine's splitting, I've raised a ticket with support, added an image, chased twice & hit TomTom on twitter - nothing, no response at all.
Is that standard for TomTom?
Thanks

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,398
    Superusers
    Sao1969 wrote:
    Hi,
    Anyone else had problems with the strap breaking for the original spark?
    Mine's splitting, I've raised a ticket with support, added an image, chased twice & hit TomTom on twitter - nothing, no response at all.
    Is that standard for TomTom?
    Thanks

You may want to take a direct approach and actually call them. They probably have a long queue for emails but it is hard to ignore a live person. To get the number for Customer Support, go to tomtom.com/support, choose Contact, enter the product name and click Phone Us. It will give you the phone number for the country your account is registered under (this can be changed by clicking the flag icon in the bottom right corner of the screen).

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 10,486 Moderator
    Hi Sao

Sorry about delay..

I had a quick look at your contact history and I see today customer service has arranged for a replacement strap to be sent to you.

Regards
    Vikram
  • IdiahoIdiaho Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I have same problem here in South Africa. I bought the cardio+music in October 2016. The strap is just cracking all over the place. I must say this is quite a shoddy show for an excellent piece of electronics.
  • NikhileshNikhilesh Posts: 416
    Staff
    Hello Idiaho,

I have sent you an e-mail requesting some information for investigation.

Please reply to the same e-mail with requested information.

Regards,
    Nikhilesh
  • OstrereteOstrerete Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi. The strap of my Spark broken next to the buckle in only 8 months, and I have complained of its poor quality to Tom Tom.
    They have answered well under warranty and sent me a new one.
    The bad thing will be when the guarantee is finished and it broken again.
  • TkrisHKTkrisHK Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    My strap broke after 5 months. I sent a request to support and they sent a replacement. The replacement lasted 6 months before it too cracked and fell apart.

I am buying an Apple watch.
  • KeelinKeelin Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi, i have the same issue with my runner 2, I have only just noticed this since getting back from my run.
  • anguus24anguus24 Posts: 32 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Mine is broken too. The second one in 12 months. I live in Argentina and aparently Tomtom doesn´t reach here and the distributors here don´t answer my calls or mails. Wowowow I feel so lucky!!!! I own a watch that i can not wear!!!!
  • TkrisHKTkrisHK Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    My watch just fell of my arm. Both ends of the strap just let go. Luckily in a place where I could recover it and not on an ocean swim. Tom tom need to sort this out. I have had 5 dollar watches lasting much longer.
  • alehelalehel Posts: 143 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    I used to have this problem. To all those who have posted this issue here, do you take the watch out of its strap to charge? If so, that may well be the source of your problem. Ever since I stopped taking my Spark out of its strap to charge, I've had no sign of wear.
  • ou999ou999 Posts: 74 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    alehel wrote:
    I used to have this problem. To all those who have posted this issue here, do you take the watch out of its strap to charge? If so, that may well be the source of your problem. Ever since I stopped taking my Spark out of its strap to charge, I've had no sign of wear.
    I never took the Spark out of the strap, and I thought that was the culprit - so I think it wears with and without removing it from the strap.
    My strap was replaced by TomTom a couple of months ago without a problem and very fast, so my compliments for the support.
  • SoudmouseSoudmouse Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Last year after having my watch for only 6 months, my strap broke and Tomtom replaced it.
    In that time and whilst i was waiting for the replacement I brought a second new strap.

Now within a week both straps have broken in the same place! I have sticky taped them just to able to use it for a run.

So I have had the watch 16 month and had 3 straps break.

I take it out of the strap to charge 1-2 times a week and when I alternate the straps.

The watch is great but the strap lets it down, Will i have to keep buying or replacing a new strap on average every 6 months?
  • dragonloredragonlore Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I bought tom tom spark 3 cardio three months continuous problems with the quikgps upgrades and after three months of use the strap has already broken
    I am disappointed by the perhaps too delicate product for a multisport
    I still have to say thanks to Italian assistance for the availability and replacement of the piece, hopefully the next straps will be more robust
  • Crash486Crash486 Posts: 13 [Outstanding Explorer]
    My watch band(s) have broken. TomTom have replaced both the original band and the replacement band. The latest I have received feels superior and is of a slightly different design. Once I found out on this forum that you can charge / connect the watch without removing it from the band, I'm hoping it will last a lot longer. Credit to TomTom for replacing the defective bands.
  • jwpat40984jwpat40984 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I bought my Spark 2 in April 2016, and I am on my 4th strap. First I had the original strap that came with the watch, it broke where the buckle joins the silicone watch band. Next was a replacement sent by Tomtom, broke in the same spot. Then was a Spark 3 (different model strap, designed to fit Spark 2), I thought that was the answer, but it broke in the roughly the same spot within 2 months. Then TomTom thought there might be something wrong with the watch, so they replaced the entire thing with an original Spark 2 with original strap. Lo and behold, 3 months later and it's breaking. I work in an office and go for runs and bike rides. I take off my watch when I'm doing any kind of activity that will cause harm to the watch. I do not remove the watch from the band to charge. Basically, I'm not putting any stress on this watch outside of the normal use.

I really enjoy the watch and the interface on the App, and customer service has been responsive and helpful. However, I'm at the point where this issue is just too much. If TomTom says that yes, there is in fact a design flaw and that they are working to fix it, I will stay a customer. If they continue to deny this issue exists, I will switch to Garmin and not buy another TomTom product.
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi Pat,

Welcome to the Community!

I'm sorry to hear of your trouble with straps! We have indeed an improved stock of straps since a while now and are seeing much less reports of strap problems (mainly on old stock).

Please note, that we also recommend you to remove the strap when you're charging the watch and/or connecting it to your computer. For instructions to remove your watch correctly from the strap, please see here [user manual].

Cheers, Mikko
  • NhbikerNhbiker Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I am on my second strap and it too is broken. Customer service won't replace it because is it 14 months old. I have friends who have devices from other companies and none have had the strap issue that I have had. I have two co-workers, each with a Tom Tom Spark and they have both had to replace their straps more than once. It is frustrating to have to pay $30 for a new one (which likely has a cost of $5). They're making it easy to switch to another brand unless they solve this problem or give away some replacement straps.
  • felipesimonfelipesimon Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I'm on my second strap in 6 months and it's breaking in the exact same spot (the buckle). I've gotten in touch with tomtom, but got no reply. Can I please get a replacement as well??

The watch is great, but the strap is the worst I've ever seen...
    Superusers
    Call Customer Support, this is a user forum and no one here is going to send you a new strap. To get the number for Customer Support, go to tomtom.com/support, choose Contact at the bottom, select the service required and the product name and click Contact Customer Care and then Phone Us. It will give you the phone number for the country your account is registered under (this can be changed by clicking the flag icon in the bottom right corner of the screen).
  • IshiIshi Posts: 32 [Outstanding Explorer]
    is it possible to charge the watch without removing it from the strap? I couldn't get that to work
    Superusers
    It is designed so you do not have to remove the watch from the strap. The cradle slips between the bottom of the watch and the strap.
  • PijotrrPijotrr Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi,
    I have the same situation with the strap. I have bought a premium version of the strap because I thought it would be better and won't get broken so fast as the normal one. But I was wrong :( i don't want to spend more of my money to buy a faulty product.

VikramK could help with my case ?

TOMTOM WATCH STRAP DLX RED (L) - BROKEN 171102-00xxxx Nierozwi±zane 02/11/2017

Mod edit: Please don't post personal or private information on a public forum.Thanks!
    Superusers
    Pijotrr wrote:
    Hi,
    I have the same situation with the strap. I have bought a premium version of the strap because I thought it would be better and won't get broken so fast as the normal one. But I was wrong :( i don't want to spend more of my money to buy a faulty product.

TOMTOM WATCH STRAP DLX RED (L) - BROKEN 171102-003361 Nierozwi±zane 02/11/2017

Have you called Customer Support, They are likely to be more help than Vikram, who is a forum moderator. To get the number for Customer Support, go to tomtom.com/support, choose Contact at the bottom, select the service required and the product name and click Contact Customer Care and then Phone Us. It will give you the phone number for the country your account is registered under (this can be changed by clicking the flag icon in the bottom right corner of the screen).
  • madmausmadmaus Posts: 65 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Due to unavailability of the bands you and others can think of this option:

Leegoal Replacement Band for TomTom Runner 2 3 Watchband Strap for TomTom Spark Golfer Adventurer Spark 3 GPS Watch TPE
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 10,486 Moderator
    Pijotrr wrote:
    Hi,

TOMTOM WATCH STRAP DLX RED (L) - BROKEN 171102-00xxxx Nierozwi±zane 02/11/2017

Very sorry for the delay. I had a look at the incident and I see they have picked up the case today.

Also, I have sent the customer service a heads up about your postings on the community..

Regards
    Vikram