GO 6100 Not recognising post codes. — TomTom Community

GO 6100 Not recognising post codes.

I have a GO 6100 and it is not recognising some post codes! I have maps version V995.8490 (07/2017) installed.
Examples of two post codes that are not recognised are: OX12 0DG and OX12 0DH. Both are long standing post codes, Williams F1 being the first!
When entering the postcode it shows up the entered postcode in capitals below the line and below that it shows Oxborough (Kings Lynn)!
As OX is Oxfordshire and Oxborough is Norfolk I think you can see something is not correct.
This would appear to happen with the latest map update, is it possible to go back a version to one that works?
Thanks.

Comments

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,971 Superusers
    Hi
    Are you using the space in the middle of the postcode ??? You don't need it
    The first postcode OX120DG Google maps....

f250daf8-cc72-48ab-92d5-b216423ec734.pngThe first postcode OX120DG GO 5000
    Looks pretty near to me....
    2f7cfe74-a38a-453d-adc3-f916be9d990e.jpgThe second one....
    OX12 0DH is Grove Car Body repairs, looks spot-on to me on the GO 5000

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'
    CatNip you have nearly the same map version as me, mine is 995.8490 and yours is 995.9492 and yours is a Start 25 where mine is a GO 6100, could that be the difference?
    Something isn't right and I don't know how to correct it!
    Incidentally I don't put a space in-between the OX12 and 0 on the Tomtom!
    Something else, when I enter OX120DH that entry is now below the enter line with Oxborough under that, there is then nothing I can enter after that.
    A sat nav that doesn't accept post codes isn't much use.
  • CatNipCatNip Posts: 480 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    Sorry, my map is actually version: 995.8492, 7/2017 (corrected) so essentially the same as yours.

I don't know why they should give different results. Have you tried carrying out a device reset which can clear various niggles? Only other thing I can suggest is your latest map or databases have been corrupted in some way.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 2,934 Superuser
    Hi Ian

I have the GO5000 and the same map as you and I get the same as YamFazMan i.e. Williams and the Body repair shop with the settings I have on my unit..

What search option have you selected. If you open "Settings" then "System" you can "Choose a Search Mode". Like me set Quick Search as your preferred option and see what if any difference that makes. If I select the "Step by Step option I do see the Oxborough you are suggesting but Quick Search gives results as YamFazMan.

This is a known issue with Rural Post Codes on the New Start models the do not have the Quick Search Option but it would appear it can happen with other models. Quick Search seems to resolve this problem.

Doug
    Hi
    I always use 'Quick Search Mode' it's far superior to using 'Step by Step' search

Note... There is a known bug when using 'Step by Step' Mode when searching for a postcode
    if the postcode doesn't also have a street address you can't enter the next/final step to complete the search
    For example... A Postcode search for an Isolated farm or Single Office block

The flow of the 'Step by Step' search menu needs to be more flexible

ATB YFM

It was set to Step by Step which before the latest map update seemed fine, or maybe I wasn't searching for remote roads to Formula 1 teams! Mind you the road into Williams F1 has rather nice tarmac finish but as you say no road name! The local name for the roundabout is the Williams Roundabout!
    A typo slipped in on the first postcode OX12 0DQ but the other post code OX12 0DH, which is just up the road, a B&B pub, is on a road with a name - Station Road - it still wouldn't let me enter it! It is very common that a roads took over from the railway, in this case it was a Tramway, from the GWR main line to Wantage, and was scrapped long before Beeching came along!

But Quick Search has cured all, though it does say Un-named Road, maybe a collusion between Google and Tomtom wouldn't go amiss!
    Anyway thanks again.

TomTom if you are reading this, a patch is needed for Step By Step surely?
  • John-JayJohn-Jay Posts: 629 [Supreme Pioneer]
    Examples of two post codes that are not recognised are: OX12 0DG and OX12 0DH.

Just tried TomTom's online Route Planner (https://mydrive.tomtom.com/en_gb).

The first is NOT found, whereas the 2nd shows up as either a "Londis" Supermarket or the "Bay-tree" Pub/Cafe - both shown in the village of "Grove", without actually specifying a Road Name! However, according to Green-King, the "Bay-Tree is actually at OX12 0AN & on a totally different road!!

Regards,
    John-Jay

Yes, I would agree with you that it is about time that TomTom got their act together!!

Regards,

John-Jay

• ian richardsonian richardson Posts: 7 [Master Explorer]
    OX12 0DG was a typo from me! OX12 0DQ does exist, well there is a rather famous F1 team hogging that post code!
    OX12 0DH as you say shows up on the route planner as the Londis supermarket, what is actually there is a pub called The Volunteer, and has been there for a considerable time! If anybody needs a B&B in that area, then I can heartily recommend it as a nice, clean no frills B&B with very hospitable staff. In Ebay terms A+++++
    OX12 0DQ does exist, well there is a rather famous F1 team hogging that post code!

Interestingly, the online Route-Planner still doesn't find OX12 0DQ, either!

Regards,
    John-Jay

Regards,

John-Jay

• ian richardsonian richardson Posts: 7 [Master Explorer]
    I've just noticed that Tomtom have given me a posting grade of 'Neophyte Traveler! TomTom it is spelt TRAVELLER in English please change it!
    Hi
    John-Jay wrote:
    Interestingly, the online Route-Planner still doesn't find OX12 0DQ, either!

Regards,
    John-Jay
    Hi
    For me, the search engine in MyDriveWeb (v1) Route planner for the UK was perfect before the update to (v2)... The (v2) update gives POIs far too much priority over Addresses and Postcodes

Before the (v2) Update....
    (1)... If I typed a postcode the map zoomed to the centre of the postcode area
    (2)... if I typed a house number + postcode the map zoomed to the position of the house within the road
    (3)... If the postcode was for a single Building/Business/Farm the location was more or less correct

Now Using MyDriveWeb (v2) Route Planner...
    Type in a postcode and all you get are lists of Pointless POIs

The MyDriveWeb (v2) Route Planner knows my Postcode, the house numbers either side of my house
    But not my house number
    Plus My Drive Web has no knowledge of a random 50% of the other house numbers on the road

ATB YFM

I think you must have just caught it on the "change", as it is now showing "Master Explorer"!!

Regards,
    John-Jay

Regards,

John-Jay

Hi, YFM,

Your comments don't surprise me!!

Regards,
    John-Jay

Regards,

John-Jay

• CatNipCatNip Posts: 480 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    All very odd really. I would have thought algorithms for searching destinations would be so fundamental to Satnavs that any company would use their own established methods throughout their whole range, from early on. Perhaps you might expect a new method to be used in a new generation of system software, but not on different models in the range all based on the same system software release. At least, I wouldn't.