Tomtom Spark- heavy bag training — TomTom Community

Tomtom Spark- heavy bag training

Krzysiek17Krzysiek17 Posts: 51 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
Hi,

Can you tell me please if tomtom spark is shockproof?
Can I use it during hitting heavy bag really strong (under my boxing gloves)?

Rehgards

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,169 Superusers
    Krzysiek17 wrote:
    Hi,

Can you tell me please if tomtom spark is shockproof?

Rehgards

It is too an extent but I am not sure it is rated based on how shockproof it is. If you are concerned then I would not take the risk as it is not really designed for that sort of activity. Again, it may not be a problem but it is probably not worth destroying a good watch either. I would be more concerned with the gloves pressing the buttons and turning off your activity in the middle.

I hope this helps, please let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • ASmugDillASmugDill Posts: 550 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Krzysiek17 wrote:
    What specifically do you wish to track while doing that kind of training, though? Just the duration of that (split of a) workout? The watch cannot track the number of times you hit the bag, or hence the rate or cadence of your punching. It also cannot track either speed or power. Without applying energy expenditure rate appropriate for the specific activity, it cannot meaningfully estimate the calories burned.

If you want to track your heart rate, using a heart rate sensor that is not wrist-worn (e.g. a chest strap, or armband) is more technically effective and functionally appropriate, and you can keep your TomTom Spark in your pocket or gym bag a few meters away to track your heart rate if paired with a compatible Bluetooth LE heart rate monitor; it's not like you'd be checking your watch under your mitts or gloves every so often.

I seriously don't understand why any martial arts practitioner would think wearing a wrist-worn fitness/activity tracking device during martial arts training is either useful or a good idea during training, and I've spent ten years training seriously (and occasionally instructing) in several different martial arts. A watch would just get in the way when blocking a strike or grappling with an opponent, and I would seriously not want it to be hit by an escrima stick or (even rubber) bladed weapon.
  • Krzysiek17Krzysiek17 Posts: 51 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    I want to monitor and my HR during training - that is the main point.
    I didn't mention any sparings/fights/kumite etc. - just the bag
  • ASmugDillASmugDill Posts: 550 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Krzysiek17 wrote:
    Krzysiek17 wrote:
    I didn't mention any sparings/fights/kumite etc. - just the bag
    but you also wrote:
    Krzysiek17 wrote:
    Advise me please which type of training to use during my karate training?
    You must be one of few people who would exclude sparring from “karate training” yet include punching the bag with boxing gloves. OK, have it your way (of the empty hand). :)
  • Krzysiek17Krzysiek17 Posts: 51 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    You are wrong - I do not exclude it, what's more I believe it's the essential part of karate practising

I don't know either what kind of martial arts do you train/practice but in my country apart from kumite, kata, kihon etc we also practice the elements of K1 and that's the moment when I need to use my gloves.

Regards
  • Sir JF DidymusSir JF Didymus Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I actually still don't understand whether I can wear the watch during my smashing of a boxing bag.
    The advice is: "It might, but I wouldn't try it if you want to keep your watch in one piece."?

Will my watch survive?

I know it's not perfect, and the heartrate measurements are rubish during the boxing. But at least I don't have to put of my watch during my 5 minutes boxing bag sparring and see how my heart rate runs up to 200 while my watch is frantically trying to get a reading on a wrist that isn't there.