Apple Health Integration — TomTom Community

Apple Health Integration

UbergeeksovUbergeeksov Posts: 2 [Apprentice Seeker]
I know this has been covered to some extent in other topics - but I am confused by Tomtom Sports apps integration with Apple Health on the iPhone.

If I go into Sports "Manage", then "connected apps" I have the option to turn on or off Apple Health with the dialogue "use your phone to track your activity". This implies that Sports will send the data that it records to the Apple Health app.

Sports9f8682c9-3a0b-48be-9cb0-e7252b8082e5.jpg

However, if I then go into Apple Health and then Sources -> Sports, there is no option to "Allow "Sports" to write data", only for it to read data (i.e. Apple Health can send data to Sports, but cannot receive data from Sports). This seems to be the opposite of what most users would wish.

03c8c442-c15a-49c0-8dc9-b13d31dfdf79.jpg

Is this deliberate, or a glitch? Is it going to be remedied?

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 15,925 Superusers
    You have it backwards. It allows Apple Health to transmit your Apple activity data to MySports, not the other way around. This way if you have your phone but not your watch you will still get activity tracking data.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • WizardlingWizardling Posts: 35 [Master Traveler]
    Does this actually work? I've never seen any steps from Apple Health (when I've only my iOS device on my person and no Spark 3) later show up in the Sports app.
  • Michael ProcterMichael Procter Posts: 35 [Master Traveler]
    tfarabaugh wrote:
    You have it backwards. It allows Apple Health to transmit your Apple activity data to MySports, not the other way around. This way if you have your phone but not your watch you will still get activity tracking data.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.

I'm not sure that I agree. I wear my watch all the time, but don't carry my large iPhone 7 plus around with me all the time, so I would like to be able to send all my data across to other apps that track steps for instance, such as Lose It!
  • Michael ProcterMichael Procter Posts: 35 [Master Traveler]
    Wizardling wrote:
    Does this actually work? I've never seen any steps from Apple Health (when I've only my iOS device on my person and no Spark 3) later show up in the Sports app.

I turned off steps being transferred across. It feels like it duplicates the watch, if I have them with me at the same time.
  • RobsonRobson Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Is this already solved? Its really annoing that can’t see all steps from band in other apps like ihealth or myfitnesspal... The biggest problem is that almost all others producers like fitbit ir garmin had this function already so i have no reason to have my touch no longer...
  • AnnaSpannaAnnaSpanna Posts: 5 [Apprentice Seeker]
    I am struggling with this too. The TomTom seems to be the only device that doesn't link to the Virgin Global Challenge, and I was hoping to be able to export my TomTom data to Apple health so I don't have to wear two trackers. Alas no.
    I have my watch on all the time - I leave my phone on my desk or in my bag most of the time. Looking at the past week, the Apple health only picks up a portion of my steps and so I can't rely on that to give me data.
    Is it an Apple health reason or a TomTom reason why you can't upload TomTom to Apple Health?
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 15,925 Superusers
    AnnaSpanna wrote:
    I am struggling with this too. The TomTom seems to be the only device that doesn't link to the Virgin Global Challenge, and I was hoping to be able to export my TomTom data to Apple health so I don't have to wear two trackers. Alas no.
    I have my watch on all the time - I leave my phone on my desk or in my bag most of the time. Looking at the past week, the Apple health only picks up a portion of my steps and so I can't rely on that to give me data.
    Is it an Apple health reason or a TomTom reason why you can't upload TomTom to Apple Health?
    It is due to Apple limiting who can connect with them and the amount they charge those companies for the right to upload the data. There has to be a big enough demand between TT users and Apple Health users to make it worth TT's expense to program the link and pay for it. Since TT has left the wearables market, ceased all development and are currently just selling off existing inventory this is never going to happen.
  • ManneringMannering Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    That explains a lot and is disappointing. So time for a new running watch... which ones have the protocols to write data to Apple Health App?