TomTom TOUCH did not connect to Android 8.0 (OREO OS) — TomTom Community

TomTom TOUCH did not connect to Android 8.0 (OREO OS)

tuuuzastuuuzas Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
edited January 2019 in TomTom Touch
Hello,

does any one have a problem with Bluetooth connection? My phone can not detect fitness tracker. But other devices (without newest OS system 8.0.0) can detect. But seems like my phone also can detect other devices but not my band.
Does any one has this problem? and maybe know how to solve it.

Phone model: Google nexus 5X
band FW: 1.44.6

Comments

• lhasaamylhasaamy Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I have the same Problem with the new Android 8 with my TomTom Tracker Software Version 1.44.6. I have also a Google Nexus 5x
  • touwhaartouwhaar Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Same problem here, TomTom touch with latest version of the software.
    Cant connect to my Nexus 5X (with andriod 8)
    Any solution yet???
  • tuuuzastuuuzas Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Not yet :(

This is whatbi get grom support:
    "This is Lisa in Customer care. Thank you for your email.

I am sorry to hear of the issues that you are having connecting your Touch to your phone.

Unfortunately as Android 8 has only been released to a couple of phones so far , we have not yet had a chance to make the App compatible with it.

As it becomes more widely available , we should have full compatibility.

If you have further queries do not hesitate to contact me using the response link below."
  • dave1667dave1667 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Ok, this is UNACCEPTABLE!

Oreo 8.0 is the current platform from Google on Android phones.
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,463
    Superusers
    dave1667 wrote:
    Ok, this is UNACCEPTABLE!

Oreo 8.0 is the current platform from Google on Android phones.

And it just came out and there are only two phones with Oreo on it, the Google Pixels and the Nexus phones, neither of which are top sellers (not even in the top 10) Should every company have to jump and bend over backwards just because Android release a new update? Since TT is leaving the wearables market and not selling any new devices I do not expect to ever see this.
  • dave1667dave1667 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thats not the point.

If the SW engineers at TomTom leveraged simple best practices around connecting to BT devices this sort of stuff would not happen.

All this shows me is poor mobile app engineering design and architecture.
    Superusers
    But no one is supporting Oreo yet, not Garmin, Suunto or anyone. There is a lag time for them to catch up and it is not worth the effort until it is on enough phones with enough overlap to their watch owners to make it worthwhile. You are being unrealistic to think they are going to jump to it immediately
  • BlackAdderDKBlackAdderDK Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Then let me ask you this... how many devices is enough then?

Latest numbers from Google states that there are over 2.000.000.000 monthly active Android devices out there...

The latest report from developer.android.com states that the total number of devices running Oreo is at 0.2% of all devices that visited the Google Play Store in the prior 7 days (Data collected during a 7-day period ending on October 2, 2017)

In other words, it seems that the total number of devices Running Android 8.x (Oreo) exceeds 4.000.000 devices - Personaly I thinks that's a kind of number...

:8

Regards from another sad Nexus 5X owner..
  • Marco RMarco R Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I have the same issues.....Today update of nay GeneralMobile GM6 to Oreo...and the doesn't work anymore !!!!
    They really have to solve it soon...May expect from a bij company like TT that this should work....also sync with watch and touch do not work.....Why did I pay so much money ?
  • Josh HarropJosh Harrop Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Okay, this thread is too old for this to have not been sorted out yet. My tracker is all but useless to me as I cannot pair it with my Sony XZ1 as it ships with Android Oreo. Such a she that the after sale service is so lacking, there is nothing fundamentally wrong with the product.

Tried emailing support, only got a response saying that they are sorry they haven't responded.
  • Marco RMarco R Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    yep...to me they said :
    Your phone is not listed here, so no account is taken of the updates of the General mobile gm6 during the development of the app. Unfortunately there is nothing more that I can do for you besides the resseting of the watch.

This is indicated in the sepevices of our app if you are going to install it, what do you want me to change here?

Nice ...is that what they call customer support ????
  • keutschikeutschi Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Same problem here.
    Sony Xperia XZ Premium Oreo 8.0.0
    Can't find TomTom Touch :rage:
    Please TomTom bring the Firmware update soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Spent a lot of Money for the Touch
    Superusers
    Since TT has left the wearables market (in large part because of the failure of the Touch lineup), it is entirely possible this may never be resolved. They really have no incentive to pursue this, they are not producing new watches, just selling out the stock they have and then it will be legacy support, I do not see them throwing any money after a market they have given up on unfortunately. Most of the Sports Division is gone and it has been almost six months since the last update broke connectivity for the watches and that has not yet been resolved, so that is an indicator of what to expect. Time to move on, I am afraid.
    This may well be the case but if they are selling off the stock it IS worth making it support the newer phones.

Some communication from TomTom would go a long way. If its never getting fixed, I would rather know so I can get something else. I don't want to go and splurge on a new tracker and then find out that support was introduced at a later stage.

Please TomTom, please provide some feedback on this issue that isn't some sweeping statement about the phone not being listed as a supported device.
    Superusers
    TomTom will not comment on planned or future updates publicly (here or elsewhere) so we will just have to wait and see. Frustrating but that is the way it is.
    THEY FIXED IT!!!! Just installed new firmware update and I can confirm it works!!!

Oh happy day!

Thanks TomTom
  • JürgenJürgen Posts: 5,709
    Community Manager
    THEY FIXED IT!!!! Just installed new firmware update and I can confirm it works!!!

Oh happy day!

Thanks TomTom
    It's a phased roll-out so not all users will get the update yet. But yes, the update is about fixing issues with Android 8.

We will announce here on the forum as soon as the update is available to all users.
  • JürgenJürgen Posts: 5,709
    Community Manager

Oh happy day!

Thanks TomTom
    This firmware update has now been rolled out to 100%.