Lost in country lanes

Flossie77Flossie77 Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
edited January 26 in Map quality
Evening
This has probably been asked a million times. I had a horrid incident when my new Tom Tom took me via country lanes. I was travelling from Cardiff to Bristol Airport. I have been lots of times using our old Garmin with no problem but decieded to by a new TomTom. It took me 2 hours! I got so lost in lanes i was in tears on the phone to the car park people. Thanks to the car park man staying on the phone witha hysterically crying woman for 45 mins i made the flight check in with 6 mins to sapre Not even the car park man knew where it took me. I am making the journey again in two weeks and i am worried about using it. Is there any setting i can do to avoid this happening?

Its also got me lost going to Bristol Zoo and Bournemouth taking us way off route.

im feeling i wasted my money if its not fit for purpose

Comments

• ZsoltZsolt Posts: 36,020 Superusers
    Without knowing the exact details of how the device is set up and what route it took you, difficult to comment. It seems fairly simple in general:

9d58a337-578b-404f-88f4-91ba52f410e3.jpg
  • [Gelöschter Benutzer][Gelöschter Benutzer] Posts: 5,321 [Supreme Navigator]
    1f5017e7-a489-4d7a-8298-ee77ae13be43.jpg
  • Flossie77Flossie77 Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    Thank you for the reply. The reason I bought the sat nav was so it could speak the directions to me rather than reading a route planner print out to me this looking and reading the sat nav is as distracting as a mobile phone. It took me into teeny tiny lanes with lovely little cottages. I know landmarks I pass along the way but I have no idea how to get to them (the Clifton suspension bridge in the distance, the big yellow self store, the pub on the tight corner). I did not see any of this until I emerged from about 45 minutes of going through lane after lane shaking and in tears.

When I went to Bristol Zoo again along a similar route as the airport I again took we through loads of residential streets rather than along the main road with the high cliffs and the suspension bridge in the distance again. When we left I followed my friends and it was just around the corner from this road.

I presumed it would be box ready to take it out charge and drive to where I needed to go. The local car park man who said he know Bristol well did not have a clue where I ended up.
    As long as the route is planned and you follow it (and it says the directions), it would take you to the destination, even if you detour. Really difficult to advise anything in this case.
    I did not though. I entered my address to Bristol airport and it took me a direction no even locals knew. Google map offer two options and both were not the way my sat nav took me.

The shortest route at 1.07 - Follow Caerphilly Rd and Eastern Ave/A48 to A48(M) - 11 min (6.2 mi)
    Take M4 and M49 to Portway/A4 in Bristol. Take the exit for A4 from M5 - 29 min (29.6 mi)
    Continue on A4 to your destination in North Somerset - 23 min (12.3 mi)
    Bristol Airport - Bristol BS48 3DY

or the longest route at 1.29
    Follow Caerphilly Rd and Eastern Ave/A48 to A48(M) - 11 min (6.2 mi)
    Take M4 to A4174 in Hambrook. Take exit 1 from M32 - 32 min (32.3 mi)
    Continue on A4174 to your destination in North Somerset - 42 min (18.4 mi)
    Bristol Airport - Bristol BS48 3DY
    And what did TT offer you (the route)? I go at places that I never seen before, yet reach my destination every single time. Also I suppose if you asked a local at that exact location, the person would know it. Trying to explain over the phone where you are can have different results. Also if you stop, the satnav would show your very location and could tell that what is the road number, what is a near-by city/village. As long as you follow it, should take you there (of course don't follow it to a cliff's edge and on a narrow forest route...).
    Sorry by locals I mean the car park guy. I could not tell you where it took me. I kept stopping to take a breath, it would recalculate and it kept adding time and taking me up even more lanes (some very narrow) All it was giving me was street names at that point. I allowed plenty of time to get from Cardiff to the airport with time to sit down eat etc. But as it was it took me over an hour out of the way and nearly cause me to miss my flight.

I am not happy with the product at all. I bought it to make me feel safe driving but instead it made me feel soo vulnerable, upset and as a result a dangerous driver. Some lanes were too small to stop in to recalculate. To be honest if it was going to take me over a cliff edge, I would not have known until I was hanging off it!

I'm sorry if I am rehashing this and thank you for your help Zsolt, I am not sure if you work for TOM TOM but every reply is nothing I have not already done with it. I'm just after some sort of setting to avoid this happening again. I expected to get in my car, turn it on put in where I want to go and drive the most straight forward route.

I asked my dad to try it on a recent trip to Bournemouth, he knows the route like the back of his hand and was shocked how far out it took them.

When I go to my mum and dad later I will get the actual model I have.

On another forum I saw a message from a new driver who wanted to stick to smaller roads in case her child was ill. I felt for her cause she ended up in lanes as well.
    I have a Tom Tom Go 510
  • GrahamacGrahamac Posts: 61 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Sorry to say get use to it!!!
    Search on the forum for similar topics.
    It's been a on going problem for several years. TT have just turned a blind eye to it and are not interested in sorting it out with a software update.
    My advice sell your TT and buy a good quality map
    It seems to be so. I went for the whole world one as well. Cannot even trust it to get me to Bristol!!!
    @Grahamac: Being driven down on country lanes or not finding the destination are apples and pears.
  • arichardarichard Posts: 319 [Supreme Navigator]
    Not sure what Zsolt means above, perhaps he meant figs; but have you gone into Menu > Settings > Route Planning >
    because there you can choose various options like fastest versus shortest etc. and that affects this ongoing problem a bit. There are options for unpaved roads, avoiding motorways and others. I get less diversions with the "fastest" setting but it is not perfect.
    I mean I do understand if some odd routes are offered, but those lead yet to the destination (putting the quality or sense behind), so can't get lost or driving for 2 hours on a 1 hour trip and not finding the way yet. It is the first time ever I see one claims on the forum that the device couldn't take one to the destination (as I said, putting the actual routing beside). And all this on multiple roads. I just can't buy that somehow. I agree with the odd routing scenario on certain occasions, but not finding the destination by following the satnav sounds fishy to me.
    I did not read her problem as "not finding the destination by following the satnav" That seems a red herring to her problem of getting lost / delayed down tiny roads on the way to catch a plane. Of course if she had persisted on the satnav route she would probably have got in sight of the airport but may have missed the plane. Airport journeys have more potential stress and it would be nice to be able to rely on these "state-of-the-art" devices not to add to the stress by poor routing.
    I frequently drove between downtown London and Luton/Stansted/Heathrow/Gatwick airports and never got anywhere near to being lost. Doing 1000s of km summer trips, never got lost. As I said, I believe certain claims about the routing, seen some myself, but not getting there at all...
    But this thread is not talking about you, an expert in this stuff, getting lost. It is about a customer who had a very stressful experience being routed off the main roads while trying to get to an airport to catch a plane ! You would have to be thick to miss the big London Airports but she was going to Bristol: apples and figs.
  • NacnudNacnud Posts: 6 [Neophyte Traveler]
    I always look at the route on a map before I set off so I know roughly what road numbers I need. I also carry the map with me so if it looks like my TT is taking a strange route I stop & look at the map. You have to remember the TT is only to assist and will never be 100% correct all the time. Having said that I've driven from the UK though the Netherlands to a postcode in Germany without any problem.
  • baltutisTTbaltutisTT Posts: 120 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    There problems with wrong map data. When available 2 or more possible routes between START and DESTINATION most likely device offer worst route.
    Unfortunately Tomtom very slow update database and sometimes sort problems in one place, but mess in another place.
    There need simple reduce average speed for country roads.
    Everywhere speed limit 60mph, but on A class road average speed around 55mph, B class roads around 50mph, country roads less than 50mph.
    @arichard: I understand what you say, but please tell me I'm wrong in saying if you actually follow the satnav (not into the cliff's edge, nor into a pedestrian path in the forest...), all the lefts and rights and whatever, then you can't go somewhere? Such a user would then get lost with any satnav, it is not brand specific.

And yes, if you compare the two routes that are offered by default, at the very end there is a sort of st.pid routing by TT, but at no point not doable.

75a5eee4-d257-4c91-a547-1e607e9e5251.jpg

60c355d6-c0d3-4843-a101-8359fe92bde8.jpg

83ae53cf-793f-4217-b6af-fe4520580fda.jpg

I also agree that all those silly routings aren't worth that 1 minute "saving":

1385f998-6810-4c38-9e3c-24a32bcd263f.jpg

And that the route might be not OK for a bendy bus (articulated bus) or a truck:

4f10ef2d-0e34-408f-b756-b928b0f6e558.jpg

But perfectly fine for a car.
  • Dave_n_TomDave_n_Tom Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I agree with everything @Flossie77 has stated about the TT choosing small country lanes, when an A road or motorway would be the fastest and safest route to take. I used it for a trip from the Brighton area up to the National Trust location at Polesden Lacey (Great Bookham, nr Dorking). About half a mile from the destination, the device (a GO500) routed me off the main route and on to a narrow lane. About half along, the road got narrower and I had the misfortune to meet a chelsea tractor barrelling towards me and had to pull hard to the left side of the road, where the entire left side of my car was scratched, presumably by a branch jutting into the lane.

On various other occasions, the device has directed me off the fastest, main route to apparently cut off a corner. The fact I have to slow down from 60mph to 20-25mph to navigate this "short-cut" seems to have escaped the TT's logic...

Advice sought from TT was to reinstall the software, which is an old IT trick to get the customer off your back
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 7,786 TomTom Moderator
    Hi Dave

The routing through narrow lanes is a known problem on the new devices. We have an open ticket which is being investigated by our technical team.

Inconvenience caused due to this is deeply regretted.

I reviewed your account and I am not able to find the incident number for your contact with the customer service. Could you please click on this link to send me the incident number through a private message.

Regards
    Vikram
    Have a question? Ask!
    Did a reply resolve your query, please mark it as answer!
    Try the search; the information you are looking for could already be available.
  • Gerry42Gerry42 Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    If TomTom could bias motorways at 70mph (Where slipway is not part of the motorway), A roads at 60mph and everything else at 20mph, then there may be less of a chance to be routed down some small unfamiliar country lane when there are perfectly good alternative and safer roads. Better still, the customer can set up their own default speeds.

Part of the issue is lack of customer choice to not be routed down little more than country tracks, often with few passing places and an absolute nightmare to drive in the hours of darkness.

Keep your customers safe, TomTom.
  • Dave_n_TomDave_n_Tom Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    As per @VikramK's request, I PM'd details of my last enquiry regarding the Go500's desire to route me down country roads. It wasn't on this forum, but I had email conversations with the Help Desk. I recognised from the date of my email messages and the incident ID, I had asked them about this in September 2016.

Apparently, the ticket is still under investigation. TomTom's developers don't think it's an important enough issue to merit prioritising a fix and the company seems perfectly content to send their customers on a wild goose chase - literally.

This apathy doesn't fill me with much confidence and a paper map will need to be kept handy when looking at the device's idea of a sensible route...
  • rayhopleyrayhopley Posts: 34 [Master Explorer]
    Flossie77 wrote:
    Evening
    This has probably been asked a million times. I had a horrid incident when my new Tom Tom took me via country lanes. I was travelling from Cardiff to Bristol Airport. I have been lots of times using our old Garmin with no problem but decieded to by a new TomTom. It took me 2 hours! I got so lost in lanes i was in tears on the phone to the car park people. Thanks to the car park man staying on the phone witha hysterically crying woman for 45 mins i made the flight check in with 6 mins to sapre Not even the car park man knew where it took me. I am making the journey again in two weeks and i am worried about using it. Is there any setting i can do to avoid this happening?

Its also got me lost going to Bristol Zoo and Bournemouth taking us way off route.

im feeling i wasted my money if its not fit for purpose

hi flossie in future for bristol airport use this postcode BS48 3DZ should come up downside road and the last ten miles from the m5 to the airport will be country roads as there is no major A road from the west only the a38 from the north
  • BrianEBrianE Posts: 447 [Exalted Navigator]
    There really is no excuse for this poor routing. Yes, you may eventually get to your destination, if you don't end up stuck in a ditch or worse, but why should customers of these wretched devices have to put up with junk like this, masquerading as being the bees knees of satellite navigation equipment? If it weren't for the over-inflated cost of the darn things, it would be a joke. It's nothing short of a con really. I feel sorry for you Flossie77 - I'm afraid you have been had. Best advice - do what I did and throw it in the waste bin where it belongs. My only regret is that I didn't smash it to pieces first. At least then I would have got some pleasure out of it before its final demise.
    BrianE