Rider 400 sending me into silly small roads

Paul3068
Paul3068 Registered Users Posts: 2
New Seeker
edited January 2019 in RIDER
Hi guys
Just returned from Belgium, recently updated maps etc and never had issues prior to this, ride in France and Spain and been excellent
It’s been sending me off the main road, into a housing estate and back out again, also sending me 30 yards into a road to make me do a u turn and back out on main road!!!
Today it sent me down a pathetic small track when it needn’t have!!
Really not impressed at the moment, any suggestions???

Comments

• EXPORTMAN
    EXPORTMAN Posts: 634
     Superuser
    Hello. Are these route you have planned in Tyre or a similar system or just where you have put the destination and allowed the tomtom to plan the route?
  • Ste7ios
    Ste7ios Posts: 759
    Superuser
    In general don’t trust blindly any navigation solution. There are map errors and sometimes the calculated routes are not the best.

The best practice is to review the route mile by mile and make the necessary corrections by adding some intermediate waypoints. Also be careful with your settings. Route type, avoidances etc affects the route calculation.

In your case we can’t say anything more without every detail of the specific route... How you created the route, the settings, etc.
  • Paul3068
    Paul3068 Registered Users Posts: 2
    New Seeker
    I put in a route avoiding toll roads and motorways, just used the tom tom app
    I’ve travelled Spain and France this year with no issues, it only seems to have been since I updated the system the other week
    The route I planned was from zeebrugge to Ypres via Diksmuide
    As I said I ended up in a housing estate and down some really small roads, god knows why it took me off the main road in the first place as there was no traffic issues!!!
  • EXPORTMAN
    EXPORTMAN Posts: 634
     Superuser
    Hi

It may be that some of your route markers were slightly off the main road when you planned the route I use the "Myroute App" or Tyre to plan but make sure I use the google earth satellite overlay maps to check that my route pins are actually on the road as there can be some discrepancies between what is shown on the map and the actual road position. If the road is miss aligned on the map your PND will "snap too" the road and that can sometime take you into side roads then tell you to make a U turn most annoying, but with practice you learn how to avoid this
  • Ste7ios
    Ste7ios Posts: 759
    Superuser
    Sometimes maps are not 100% aligned with the real road. If you take a closer look you may see that. Satellite view is great to see if you’re on the right place (you can’t tell always by the map), but you’ve to place the waypoint to the closest location of the map (at the right side of the road), preferably on the device’s map because maps from the various makers have their differences...

MyRoute-App (Gold) is great for the job because it provides all the available maps (TomTom, Here/Garmin), Google, etc) and the tools to make the necessary comparisons & adjustments.