"Tomtom leaving wearables".... Tomtom really??? — TomTom Community

"Tomtom leaving wearables".... Tomtom really???

Krzysiek17Krzysiek17 Posts: 51 [Outstanding Wayfarer]

Comments

• XherdanXherdan Posts: 26 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Yes unfortunately... :(

http://corporate.tomtom.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=1042115

"TomTom is reorganising parts of its Consumer Sports business. As a result, 136 roles have been made redundant, of which 57 are in the Netherlands"

So TomTom is laying off 136 employees as it shifts focus away from wearables towards mapping and navigation.

TomTom CEO Harold Goddijn said in July “The wearables market has fallen short of expectations…and because of this and because we want to focus on automotive, licensing and telematics businesses, we are reviewing strategic options for our Sports business.”

However the company is planning to continue selling sports products for the foreseeable future, but it'll likely just to be to work through existing stock.
    So if you have Spark 3/Adventurer, it'll be supported by TomTom but it's not currently clear how long new software upgrades will last for.
    If you're planning on buying a TomTom watch, in my opinion i think there's no guarantee it'll be supported with new software throughout its lifetime.
  • chris-frchris-fr Posts: 41 [Apprentice Traveler]
    So sad... garmin and fitbit must be thrilled... the spark is the only multi sport/mp3 player/cardio with the option to connect BLE sensors and affordable sportwatch on the market. the spark is often quote as a reference in reviews and over the year still making in the top 5 on runner's world or wearable website... I don't understand this decision...
    chris-fr wrote:
    I don't understand this decision...

The decision was made because TomTom its Q2 earnings revealed 20% year-over-year decline in consumer revenue, specifically naming its consumer sports category as a weak performer.
  • cheekychimpcheekychimp Posts: 209 Superusers
    Simple Maths:

Bad Bluetooth Pairings/Syncs = Unhappy customers = Fewer Sales = Less Money.
  • SimoneBSimoneB Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    If they put VO2Max, Fitness age, Call & Sms notification and exercises from the launch of runner 2 and not 2 years later...

It is not only about poor syncs ...
  • eXPerienceeXPerience Posts: 9 [Master Explorer]
    Bad news :(
  • madmausmadmaus Posts: 65 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Oke....
    So this is probably the last firmware...
    I think it's time to move on to Garmin and leave the spark with the latest working firmware (1.3.255)
    madmaus wrote:
    Oke....
    I think it's time to move on to Garmin and leave the spark with the latest working firmware (1.3.255)

Now it is not because they will keep updating their watches. Actually in beta-testing there is VERSION 1.7.53

https://us.support.tomtom.com/app/release_notes/type/watch2016
  • Catman1789Catman1789 Posts: 12 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Xherdan wrote:
    madmaus wrote:
    Oke....

Now it is not because they will keep updating their watches. Actually in beta-testing there is VERSION 1.7.53

https://us.support.tomtom.com/app/release_notes/type/watch2016

They have said that 1.7.53 does not fix the connectivity problems many of us have been having. I agree with MadMaus - TomTom, roll us back to 1.3.255 before you go, please.
  • TheOtherPeteTheOtherPete Posts: 24 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Catman1789 wrote:
    They have said that 1.7.53 does not fix the connectivity problems many of us have been having. I agree with MadMaus - TomTom, roll us back to 1.3.255 before you go, please.
    +1
  • janvangasteljanvangastel Posts: 7 [Master Explorer]
    I have a TomTom runner cardio since 2014 and was thinking about purchasing a newer TomTom sports watch, like the a spark or adventurer. But after reading the above information.....I don't know if it's a good idea.
  • BernsterBernster Posts: 20 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Very sad to hear this, I have loved there Spark Cardio and have recommended it to so many friends and colleagues who have purchased and also love it.
  • janvangasteljanvangastel Posts: 7 [Master Explorer]
    Yes, very sad. I also love my 'old' runner cardio. If I only could be sure the spark or adventurer would be supported (firmware updates etc.) for another 4 years or so, I wouldn't hesitate buying one.
  • WizardlingWizardling Posts: 35 [Master Traveler]
    Oh man, I just went all in on the TomTom sports watch ecosystem earlier this year. Other than the recent bluetooth issues, I've been fairly happy.

My Spark 3, for example, might be rather dull looking, and it isn't as full featured with notifications and other smart functionality as some sports watches, but I like it. It does what I want, it didn't cost the world, and up till the recent firmware it worked well.
    My hope is that Tom Tom sells off the Consumer Sports division to another company willing to enter the wareables market and take over from there.
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 15,828 Superusers
    My hope is that Tom Tom sells off the Consumer Sports division to another company willing to enter the wareables market and take over from there.

I doubt that will happen. What company in its right mind is going to buy a failed company in an already competitive market and hope to succeed. If a large company like TT can;t make a dent I doubt a smaller one would. Look at Bia, Leikr, Jawbone and and all the other small wearable companies that have closed up shop in recent years. Like it or not, it really is Garmin's market, with some competition from Polar and Suunto (who are in a distant second and third). Garmin has such a head start in the technology and such a dominant position that they really drive the market.
    Quite clearly a company that will do what Tom Tom failed to do right. I did say it's "My hope.." and I'm sure everyone here on these forums will want to read it out aloud and say "We hope.." for something good to happen out of this, for the sake of everyone here that has invested in these devices.
  • neldiogoneldiogo Posts: 18 [Outstanding Explorer]
    On features TT is only below Garmin because Suunto is a mess particulary with the latest watches. Website/App is better/simpler/ then Garmin and Suunto and the only problem I see is with trying to appeal to much to newbies.

Where others win big is the design...Tomtom could relaunch themselves with another design. For me it's great. I love the small size and weight of Adventurer. Besides Garmin 935 there isn't another watch with barometer that is so small and light. But for mass market adoption the design was a big issue.
  • Snakebiter71Snakebiter71 Posts: 26 [Outstanding Explorer]
    I reckon Fitbit have taken the market lead.

When you factor in the "leisure" market I reckon they are streets ahead in terms of sales.

Slowly they will factor in more of the "hardcore" features and smother everyone.
  • charlesrrcharlesrr Posts: 67 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Not sure how long the "leaving" process will take but it would be cool if a final update to the Sports Connect App let you choose which firmware you want on the watch so that you can choose the one that actually syncs via bluetooth.

The dev team must be tearing their hair out over this. I have various bluetooth devices around the home and have never had any issues pairing/connecting any of them.
  • lampardlampard Posts: 4,336 TomTom Moderator
    Hi All,

We indeed had to make 100+ people redundant which we already stated in our press release last Friday. Having this said, we will continue to sell wearable's and, of course, we will continue to support them.

Although we cannot comment on our roadmap, there will be a continuous support through the usual Customer Care channels.

Cheers,
    lampard
  • jp2290jp2290 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    tfarabaugh wrote:
    If a large company like TT can;t make a dent I doubt a smaller one would. Look at Bia, Leikr, Jawbone and and all the other small wearable companies that have closed up shop in recent years. Like it or not, it really is Garmin's market, with some competition from Polar and Suunto (who are in a distant second and third). Garmin has such a head start in the technology and such a dominant position that they really drive the market.
    I think the biggest threat to Garmin would be the likes of Apple, Samsung etc. As dominant as Garmin are in their niche they are still puny compared to the tech behemoths. It just depends whether the tech giants see enough value in adding more 'hardcore' sports capabilities to their devices (for lack of a better word). But I agree it would be highly unlikely for another company to acquire the TomTom wearables business.
  • Hagrats123Hagrats123 Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    lampard wrote:
    Having this said, we will continue to sell wearable's and, of course, we will continue to support them.

Does this include fixing the BT connectivity issues? Especially in 1.7.53. Please! Or can you provide a mechanism for going back to earlier firmware releases? Again.... please! Thank you.
  • i-zeroi-zero Posts: 56 [Master Traveler]
    Just got my TTA few days ago. I think it's a great watch. There some cons but I have all the pros I wanted. The forum to me feel a bit weird as if there is not a lot of people on it. But I hope the TT team would stay to support who just bought them. Other wise we might trade it off and move to other brand. The new software update I think it's great taking it to another notch. Unfortunate I not a fan running with music other else I could test it out and let TT user know about the connectivity issues. I have a fell it could be better since all other issues were addressed properly.
  • SimonP82SimonP82 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I was given Runner 3 for Crimbo and hate this news. I hope TomTom will be back with new wearables in the future when they ready. I really like this watch.