Spark- Music cuts on the headphones — TomTom Community

Spark- Music cuts on the headphones

annabelleheadlamannabelleheadlam Posts: 10 [Legendary Explorer]
Hi guys, as others seem to have experience before, my music cuts out literally every 2 sec while I am outdoors exercising....this is more than annoying especially since I bought this watch for this purpose mainly..it's pretty much impossible to use them... what can be done to change this??? (I wear it correctly) ... thank you!

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 15,914 Superusers
    Hi guys, as others seem to have experience before, my music cuts out literally every 2 sec while I am outdoors exercising....this is more than annoying especially since I bought this watch for this purpose mainly..it's pretty much impossible to use them... what can be done to change this??? (I wear it correctly) ... thank you!

If you are wearing it on the same side as the headphone antenna, and it is fully charged there is not much else to do. If they are the TT headphones try loosening up the neck strap so that the pod hangs a bit loose behind the ears, users have reported this helps. Others have claimed success with using lower bitrate recordings as well. Mine never drop out and I have to actively try to cause it, putting the watch under my other arm is needed to cause it to drop, so I wonder if it is related to the hardware itself, if some headphones or watches work better than others (and I just got lucky). You can try different headphones and see if they work, which would help to narrow the issue down to the watch or the headphones. Finally, you can call Customer Support to complain and perhaps they will swap it out for a new unit.

To get the number for Customer Support, go to tomtom.com/support, choose Contact, enter the product name and click Phone Us. It will give you the phone number for the country your account is registered under (this can be changed by clicking the flag icon in the bottom right corner of the screen).

I hope this helps, please let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • annabelleheadlamannabelleheadlam Posts: 10 [Legendary Explorer]
    thank you! I will try and loosen the headstraps and check the music... see how that goes!
    to follow up on this topic as is seems to be appearing for a few of us, I reset my watch and now make SURE
    that:$ the bluetooth part of the headphones hangs precisely down my ear. I adjust the cord and use the little fixture to keep it that way, moving it to the side rather than to just tighten or loosen the strap (if that makes sense)... it works much much better that way!
  • bvdaalenbvdaalen Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I have the same issues. It seems to get worse after I run for a while (and start sweating). I have to turn them off after half an hour because the music is barely audible anymore. Using original TT headset and original soundtrack supplied. Tried adjusting the cord but to no avail. Any ideas?
    hmmm. I also have the original set, I have to train with a low heart rate at the moment, so I don't have that problem with sweating yet.. would wearing a sweatband around the head help with that?
  • JanusmarJanusmar Posts: 13 [Master Explorer]
    The headphones issue is very annoying. It does help a bit to loosen the strap but then it is very uncomfortable and falls out of my ears. The main reason for buying the TT over a other brand was the music function but now I prefer to not run with music as constant dropouts is just too annoying.
  • patpalloonpatpalloon Posts: 105 [Master Explorer]
    I solved this problem by buying some cheap ear buds from Amazon as the supplied Tomtom ones didn't fjt me very well. The ones I bought are known as triple flange and look like 3 mushrooms sitting on top of each other. They are comfortable and fit snugly in my ear canals so sound great. They don't loosen up either as you exercise.
  • RemekRemek Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hello,
    same problem here. It looks like the problem is when gps+music is on together. Paired with my smartphone and bluetooth works really well even if i were far away from phone.
    TomTom Crew u think that u can do something with this in next update? and if yes, how much long for it? I have to know what to do with this watch.
    Remek wrote:
    Hello,
    same problem here. It looks like the problem is when gps+music is on together. Paired with my smartphone and bluetooth works really well even if i were far away from phone.
    TomTom Crew u think that u can do something with this in next update? and if yes, how much long for it? I have to know what to do with this watch.

It works well with your smartphone because the smartphone has a stronger battery and is transmitting at a higher signal strength. There is a limit to the signal strength that the watch can use. It will also work better indoors than out (where most people test them) because there are many more surfaces to reflect the signal back to the earphones (which is why it also works better in the woods than in open fields). I am not sure how much TT can do to change it based on the technical limitations of the watch. You can try to maximize it on your end by wearing the watch on the proper wrist, keep the control pod loose (on the TT models), etc., but there will always be limitations. TT will not address future added functionality unfortunately, so we have to wait and see. If this is a vital feature for you and you are within your return period you may want to look at other devices that offer this option now. You need to make your decision based on the features that are currently offered, and not what may come in the future, as nothing is guaranteed.
  • RemekRemek Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thank you for reply. You are right. Have to running with phone now but still i hope they will fix it, even if it cost much more battery.
    Remek wrote:
    Thank you for reply. You are right. Have to running with phone now but still i hope they will fix it, even if it cost much more battery.

The issue is that they can't increase the signal, as there are limits based on the category of device it is. If they go above the limit set for the category, that changes the category of device which opens up a whole other group of regulatory issues. If you press down on the watch and go all the way down tot he standards and press right you will see all the agencies and groups that they have to abide by standards for (and there are a lot of them). They (and all tech companies) cannot just do whatever they want unfortunately, even if it improves their devices because they are boxed in by regulations.
  • angstangst Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    It is weird - was using my adventurer on my left arm and music was fine with tomtom headset until about a week ago - after a couple of days of failures - cutting out on every arm swing - I switched it to right arm and it has been working fine since...